“Birjani government guest houses in Corbett” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jim Corbett National Park

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Johannesburg
13 helpful votes
“Birjani government guest houses in Corbett”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2009

Corbett is one of the few parks where it is possible to stay inside the park in government run guest houses. We spent one night at Birjani government guest house which was undoubtedly the worst accommodation we have ever stayed in. The guest rooms had been recently renovated and there were piles of building rubble and even worse piles of rubbish and litter everywhere - completely unacceptable in a national park. But, worst of all were finding filthy sheets on the beds. The sheets were also too small for the beds, there were no top sheets, available and the mattresses were either really dirty or covered in plastic. There was also no hot water. It was cold and damp and it was quite clear that the staff do not have the facilities to do laundry and get it dry and also do not have enough supplies of linen.

9 Thank Georgie_Johannesburg
Delhi
21 helpful votes
“A joyful ride”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2008

Jim Corbett.. Nice place especially for people who are tired of hectic worklife in the cities. Great place to relax.

The best part is the ride to the corbett national park.. one is supposed to start up early (5am) . and then the ride to the jungle in the jeep is just great. With friends along it is just amazing

Known for tigers but not many tigers are visible. Only deers which can be seen in plenty.

On my first trip to the park,, we saw a TURTLE... yeah thats the only animal we saw in the 22km stretch....!!

But next time deers were there. loads of them...

It was a wonderful trip to the park...

2 Thank PANKUJ
Delhi
8 helpful votes
“Bliss In The Jungle-A Trip To Jim Corbett Park,Uttarkhnd,India by Arvind Chauhan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2008

Bliss In The Jungle, Jim Corbett Park, Nainital
(By Arvind Chauhan (arvy.india@gmail.com))

Eversince my childhood days when I read about Sir Jim Corbett and his exploits in the Kumaon region and the foothills laden with jungles, I had the fascination for the jungles and life within. It took me 42 long years to realize my dream in March of 2004. 250 kilometers from Delhi is Ramnagar, the nearest town prior to the Corbett Park. The Jim Corbett Park entry gate is about 3 kms. further up and the Dhikala Rest house is 40 kms right inside in the dense forest from there. We had hired a Gypsy from Ramnagar to take us to the resort and safari there till next day. At the gate entry passes were checked and rules and regulations were described like prohibition of plastic bags, smoking and
poaching.

JOURNEY THROUGH THE FOREST :
The jungle road was the usual kachcha track with dense jungle at both sides. There was a chill in the air and it was all quiet except the hum of the Gypsy engine and our chatters. The road meandered through the jungle sometimes uphill and sometimes downhill. In between we would stop even if there was some sound around in anticipation of a tiger. But it was always a monkey or a hare running through. Most noticeable were colorful fowls in vibrant orange and flame red. Also we could see peacocks too.

After an arduous journey of about two hours we reached Dhikala, the Forest Rest House right inside the dense forest. It is surrounded by maidans with tall grass for about two kilometer towards north and west, after which dense jungle starts. The eastern side was overlooking the river Ramganga, which flowed around 40 feet below the rest house level and takes a turn towards left on the northern side to flow at the level of the maidan. Beyond and across the river again the dense jungle continued. The rest house is inside a well maintained enclosure with armed forest guards to take care of any intrusion from wild animals.

There is an office, a small museum and then many separate rooms for the visitors. In the middle is a small park with a tree house and well maintained green lawns which overlooks the river over the ledge. A boarding area for climbing on to the elephant for safari is just near the entrance of the campus. For the elephant safari an early booking is necessary which we unfortunately could not do, hence missed it.

FIRST SAFARI :
By now it was around 5:00 PM and we decided to have a safari immediately. After hurriedly putting our belongings in our rooms, we rushed for the Gypsy and engaged a guide, which is a must if one has to take a safari in one’s own private vehicle. The kachcha road winding through the tall grass led to the jungle. On way one could see large herd of deer near and in distance. The nearer ones hearing the vehicle approach got alert and were ready to scoot to safety, in case of any danger from us. After half an hour ride we came across a herd of four wild elephants. They were busy bathing each other in dust and sometimes showing interest in us too. The guide hushed us to silence since wild
elephants, if enraged, can give charge. Taking a detour we drove upto the river, where it flows at the same level as the ground. We came across yet another herd of elephants crossing the trail towards the river for their evening drink. The baby elephants were right in the middle as a strategy to keep the young ones protected. The guide revealed that it is always a female elephant who leads the herd. By now it was dusk and it started getting
dark so we returned back to the resort.

EVENING IN THE JUNGLE:
By 06:30 PM it was dark. The Dhikala resort has limited generator power supply which works till 10 PM in the night. An open space just near the ledge overlooking the river is provided for playing films on tigers and its habitat. As the movie played on rendering information on the tiger, one could feel the chill in the air. After eating dinner in a nicely managed canteen we took a stroll around the campus. The air was pure and laden with a sweet and soothing scent. The moonlit night was poignant with cool breeze blowing across our faces in the still and serene surround of the camp. The scent of the virgin trees had the air pregnant in a divine ambience. But as if to spoil the fun, the rustle of crispy leaves made us all shudder and the far cry of the animals sent shivers up the spine. A flutter here and there made everyone jump and startle in fear. Tired and slightly scared, we dispersed to our respective rooms and fell asleep immediately.

EARLY MORNING BLISS :
We had asked for morning tea early at 5:30 AM so that by 6 AM we could take an early safari in the jungle. I myself got up at 5:00 AM and leaving others asleep, I walked out in the park which was right opposite to my room. Well! if heaven was anywhere then this was it. The stillness around was pristine and the chilly air was so pure that I could feel it seep in right through to the distant corners of my lungs. The ambience was serene and as I looked above, I could see the stars very clear in the still dark morning sky. I walked around in this divine scheme as I received my morning tea in the park, and stood with a leg resting on the ledge looking towards the east. Sipping hot tea in the park and feeling the air around me is one great feeling which is inscribed deep into me till this day. As I looked over the river and as the light increased at the break of dawn, one could see deer and elephants near the river.

MORNING SAFARI :
By 6 AM all of us started towards the forest safari in our gypsy. The guide showed us the pug marks of a tiger and the scratches on the trees which denote the marking of its territory. But no tiger was in view till now and we took a detour down to the river where we saw barasingha and deer and monkeys. Also we could see many birds with vibrant colors chirping merrily. On the river bed we again saw tiger pug marks but with no luck. By the river we climbed a strategically built machaan to get an overview of the area and to spot the presence of a tiger, if in case it comes to the river to drink water. Also across the river we did go up the trail and stopped over to look for any trace of the elusive tiger, but there was just the gurgles of flowing water and twittering of the birds. The jungle otherwise was very still and incredibly quiet.

As the sun rose high in the sky it was time to return to the Dhikala camp and pack our bags for the return. After having a heavy breakfast and packing some for the lunch, we started our return journey. Seeing the forest and rest house vanish behind us left us all sad. The jungle somehow had given us the purest kind of life in the short time we were there. People go to Corbett essentially to catch a glimpse of the fast deteriorating tiger, but for me the ambiance and the jungle and its sweet pure air was sufficient to make me want to go there often. It is heartening to know that in the hectic life of ours, there is still such a jewel in our reach to find solace and peace.

--------------- * ---------------
©2007 Arvind Chauhan.

8 Thank arvind1962

Been to Jim Corbett National Park? Share your experiences!