“Our Ultimate Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Soneva Kiri Thailand
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
“Our Ultimate Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We are a couple in our thirties and have travelled extensively to beautiful places and 5 star hotels. Normally, we are into design hotels and 'Aman junkie' and 'Alila fan' are both applicable to us. We can now add 'Six Senses/Soneva addict' to that and basically all is said by the fact that we are seriously considering going back for our next trip, something which we have never done before. The quick and painless transfer from Bangkok (a resort representative is waiting for you at the gate of your international flight and takes care of everthing until you board the resort's cessna), greeted at the Koh Mai Si airstrip by our Ms. Friday, being transported in a fancy speedboat was the start to a wonderful week. Our Ms. Friday, Kaew, took care of everything and also it was very nice to just chat with her. Our impression is that the Fridays are very well trained and their English is above average compared to other 5 star hotels.The beach villa we stayed in was a dream. The pool is really quite big (16 strikes from one end to the other), there are so many options to sit/lie/relax and at the pool and bathroom area a Bose sound system made sure you could listen to the relaxing tones of the Six Senses CD all around. Every morning I opened the doors to the complete outside bathroom with lots of plants, trees and beautiful lighting I realised I was in paradise. Also really loved the shower products, they even had speacial 'after sun' shampoo and conditioner. We experienced some problems with the quantity of the hot water (often not enough for a second shower) and although they looked into this, it did not seem to be fixed at the end. The little private beach area reached directly from your villa via private stairs was also wonderful. There are two minibars (one inside, one outside), all beers and softdrinks and two bottles of wine were included in our stay. As were all meals, except for the Tree Pod lunch we had. The latter was quite expensive but a real must if you vist the resort. Talking about the meals: the quality of the food and the vastness of the menus is outstanding. For me, this was really the best hotel food ever and they took care of my dietary requirements very well. From day one everyone was aware of them so I never had to repeat them. I am not sure how they did this, but it made my stay even more relaxing. I even got different nibbles at cocktail hour and they made various plates just for me at the two BBQ's the hotel organised. Khun Benz even came talking to me at the beach on the day we were having dinner at her restuarant to make sure I could eat all 8 courses (which for me really was too much, but the food was very good). We really loved the dining experience at The View as the setting is just so romantic and you can see the sun set in the adjacent bar before dinner. I think the two things that we liked most were the "No News, No Shoes" concept, especially going around barefoot everywhere was sooooo liberating. We brought flipflops and some 'fancy' ones for dinner, but after day 1 we did not wear any of them for the rest of the week. Also you do not need your fancy clothes, shorts, t-shirts and beach dresses is what you wear. The other fun thing are the buggies, driving them barefoot from the ice cream parlour to the beach and back to the chocolate room did make us feel children again. Oh, I almost forgot the Cinema Paradiso at wich we had a BBQ for Valentines Day. The setting over a pond surrounded by lush vegetation is wonderful. Oh, and the beach. I could not find a lot of pictures before we went there, but you need to be worried about this: the white sand beach is wonderful and the sea is light blue and has almost a bathtub temperature and is very clean as well. The beach loungers are quite far apart and there are also big shaded swing benches. Lunch on the beach was another favorite, with a-la-carte options (including very tasty pizzas from the wood fire oven) and the walk-in "cold room" with sushi, sashmi, all ingredients to make your favourite salad and many little dessert options. The all-inclusive concept that we had is very broad, so it includes all meals (except for the tree top dining) with unlimited choice where and what to eat. It also included nice wines (including wines from Tuscany and Bordeaus) and even chamagne and the pre-dinner cocktails we had. Also, on a weekly basis scheduled excursions are included and we we did a wonderful snorkeling trip. The management attention for detail is unsurpassed, there are so many little extras that really make you feel very special. Writing this review makes me wanting to return right away, for more barefoot pampering. Of course, it comes with a steep price tag, but the sense of luxury and all that is included and more are well worth it in our view. So, start making our personalised buggy tags (which you get as returning guests).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank AmsTravelAddict
Andrew A, Managing Director at Soneva Kiri Thailand, responded to this review, 14 April 2016
Dear AmsTravelAddict ,

I am sure this response will surprise you given that you wrote a review on your stay at Soneva Kiri so long ago.

I am sorry that no one was able to respond to your comments at the time but thank you for staying with us and we are still here!

As such please let me know if I can forward any information to you and hopefully welcome you back to Soneva Kiri soon.

Andy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Sunningdale, Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We have just returned from this most luxurious and welcoming resort to which I have only wonderful things to say.

Jang my wonderful therapist was an expert in every sense, giving exercise advise, yoga as well as general spa after care. Nutch in the Den was great with the kids, fun and educational, Andy great guy and helped us a lot with our activities when at the resort.

The spa was great and I loved the idea that they make their own homemade organic coconut oil from those fallen on the island, made by the spa team, can't get more Eco than that. Spa Director gave great recommendations of treatments, wellness classes and the other areas outside the spa. Special mention for View the reception at the spa.

Thai boxing classes with Khun Road was really great, tiring and fun. Kayaking around the island awesome, sunset cocktails at the beach with management nice touch.

Tree pod dining really the most unusual dining experience ever.

Great resort luxury with the environment in mind. Love it...want to be there now instead of sitting in front of 'Antiques Roadshow' with the cold and rain outside!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ruth T
Dear Ruth T ,

United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We were guests here two weeks in mid-November 2011. From being greeted at our international arrival in Bangkok and escorted onto the 8-seater Cessna plane, to our arrival at Soneva Kiri, all was seamless and relaxing. We were unsure if our full board plan would be breached but, sure enough, all was covered and the only additions were from the (excellent) spa, the diving (the packed lunch was extra too) and from the tree pod dining. Our Friday, Ami, navigated the course between attentive and over- attentive with great skill! The food we enjoyed very much, trying everything everywhere (including the tree top dining which is a crazy but brings back pleasant memories). We did some of the excursions, accompanied by our Friday, and they were pleasant diversions.
We stayed in a Beach Villa Suite, and this was all anyone could want. We didn’t look at other villas; however there were three larger villas a bit further on from us that were, for a while, occupied by a couple, their children and (I believe) nine private staff. The fact that there are only 28 villas and 8 private residences on a very large piece of real estate on a still fairly undeveloped island means that even if there are celebrities there the service and solitude do not suffer. The Beach Villa was comfortable and we loved the huge outdoor bathroom. We had to make an effort to leave the villa to go to the beach in our buggy (great fun, the buggies).
We had superb weather in November with lots of sunshine and little rain. We had few problems with the wildlife; although the splendid Tokay Geckos were something we had to get used to with their occasional loud calls at night (a gecko removal service was offered but declined). As others have said, you are in the jungle after all.
This is not a resort that is geared to SCUBA but it is available as an option and the service was excellent. In between dives we were left on a beautiful apparently uninhabited island to have lunch (extra) – one of the highlights of a stay with very high standards.
The resort is looking as if it might be expensive to maintain. Although only open for a few years, the mainly timber construction (with New Zealand stamps visible) is under constant attack from the sun and the rain. The “ecologically sustainable designs and materials” do not come cheap I suspect. We enjoyed the “no shoes” ethos but I did have trouble removing a splinter (worth it for 2 weeks unshod).
We tried several spa treatments, all of which were excellent. For me the oriental massage gave me more flexibility that I had had for a long time (being a runner who can’t be bothered to stretch) and for my wife the acupuncture gave her a deeper night’s sleep than she had had for many years.
Resort manager Gary left for Vietman while we were there. He did an excellent job, and handed over to Alex towards the end of our stay. Both were highly approachable and must be proud of their staff and of the resort. This was an expensive trip but it was excellent value for money.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JonathanTapp
Dear Jonathan Tapp,

Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

We had a wonderful time at the Soneva Kiri. Its an amazing and fantastic Eco design, even the spa make their own coconut oil!!
We had some first class treatments whilst we where here, I have travelled a lot and always enjoy treating myself whilst on holiday and these where some of the best. It was fascinating to hear how the therapists make the oil from fallen coconuts on the resort, then use the husks for exfoliation or fuel what an amazing concept. Wonderful staff always very helpful the Spa Director played tennis with us regularly, by the way he is a good player!!!
I would recommend this resort for its great treatments, food, relaxation and overall wonderful break.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsC1234
Dear MrsC1234 ,

Gaborone, Botswana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

We went here for the first week of our honeymoon. Overall, the resort was exactly right - a mixture of the exotic, the secluded and the ambient, supported by a diverse range of experiences and activities. The arrival and departure procedures were smooth and very comfortable. The villas were stunning, so it was quite tempting to spend considerable time 'at home'. The 'Friday' attendants very attentive and helpful. Foodwise, the diversity is impressive - indeed, we were overloaded with choice at every meal and in between meals (the ice creams and the chocolate venues, as well as the treetop dining, were fun additions). In particular, we loved the Khun Benz restaurant - the ambience and the food. The only quibbles would be (i) that in trying to provide such a diverse array of exotic international and local foods, and yet catering largely to a Western palate, while food quality remained high, the tastes and flavours were sometimes a little bland (with the noted exception of Khun Benz which was exceptional food); (ii) that the aircon in the villa was not as powerful as was required and it remained very hot on some nights.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple