“magical place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kasauli
Baikunth Resort Kasauli
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Kasauli
Reviewed 23 December 2011

attended a marriage in december at Baikunth. Comfortable rooms, not 5 star but excellent. views are incredible.

We had the whole resort to ourselves as the wedding party had booked the entire place for the weekend.

Staff were attentive and despite lack of good english being spoken were VERY helpful.

Yes there were dogs around and monkeys, but never felt unsafe.

If you get the chance to visit this place you must go.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank simarsden
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

nice to visit for a weekend break. Good points were the play arena, a beautiful lawn area overlooking the valley, food was great , staff hospitable. Did not like the badly kept and broken toys kept for toddlers and the poorly managed swings for kids. Electric kettles were not clean. To my kids' disappointment, hammocks were not available as promised. However they loved running around after butterflies in the lawn area . Nothing much to do if you plan for more than 2 days stay. Rooms and service were good . Should be more kid friendly as most of the games available were for older kids.

Room Tip: if chosing a valley side cottage, ensure that the view is not obstructed by trees.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sunbands
Reviewed 24 August 2011

The bad experience started from the day we made a cottage booking with this hotel. We understood that we had booked a cottage with two bedrooms. Once we arrived, we were shocked to find that we had only one bedroom and that there isn't even a two bedroom cottage at this resort.

In my experience, a cottage is more a less a stand alone small house with bedrooms, small mini-type kitchen and garden. Their idea of a cottage is basically a room with a balcony. This makes up a "cottage". The rooms were decently furnished and the tv quite good, but who comes to India to watch tv?

The toilet seat was broken and they quickly "repaired" it. The repair lasted only hours. No one told us that the hotwater tank was controlled by a switch in the bathroom. We didn't know and there were three of us. By the time the first person finished their shower, the other two took cold showers. I like cold showers in India, but not in the cool mountains, where cold is cold!

Our driver had accommodations on the property. The cost was 400 Rupees per night. The driver's dormitory was uninhabitable. There was no electricity or water, and the mosquitoes were unbearable. We checked him out because he said he would rather stay in the car. We had to get him a room in town because of these conditions.

After settling in around 3:30ish, we had not had lunch and there was no lunch being served anywhere, nor room service. There was one cup and one glass in the room. We had to order more of those, as well as towels. We ate our jiffy peanut butter cups and an apple and decided to wait it out until dinner was served in the restaurant, around 8pm. My husband and I went up for dinner, while our son stayed in for room service. We all ordered the same thing that we love so much: butter chicken. Not once did the staff ever tell us that the food is included in the price of the hotel!!!! Had we known, we may have ordered a variety of food instead of only one dish.

We returned to the room that evening, where within five hours, my husband began to get sick. I woke up that morning sick also, followed by our son. We spent the morning with diarrhea and couldn't leave the room. We took Cipro and other meds and decided to check out of the hotel one day early. We have been in India for over ten days and this was our first encounter with sickness. I guess we should have been suspicious when we arrived at the restaurant to find only two other tables being served.

We ordered room service that morning to try to get something in our stomachs after being sick. Room service was horrific. We made three calls to even place the order. There was no answer and we had to call the front desk to get them to call room service who then called us back. When we did finally speak to them, they didn't know what was being offered for breakfast that day. We finally got the food (allow 45 mins to one hour) It took them three trips to our room to get our order right. The fries were cold, soggy and stiff. The chhole was served without Bhatura.

Upon checking out, we asked to speak with the manager and as I expected, he was not available. Instead, they sent up the front desk manager who did nothing but apologize and talk about next time he will do something for us. Mr. Navdeep, the manager, has not returned the call to us, in spite of the fact that the front desk staff said he would.

My husband, who is Indian, was unimpressed with the number of dogs on the property as well as the deplorable service and "cottage" at this property. The town of Kasauli is absolutely beautiful. The gardens at this hotel were impressive and well kept.

Our recommendation for this hotel: Stay Away.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
17  Thank 81,72,011
Reviewed 25 April 2011

we booked three rooms of this hotel in the month of september 2010.we travelled in a group of three couples with children.terrible stay.terrible staff.no consideration for children.stray dogs on properety.badly behaved staff.overall a very bad experience.spiders and lizards in the bedrooms.will never go afain.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
12  Thank nidhismittal
Reviewed 5 April 2011

All right so here I am writing another review. Different people have different expectations so it is possible that some of the reviews which have been written about the property are different from mine.

Hotel#1 - Kasuali Regency
Based on Trip advisor ratings we first shortlisted Kasauli Regency in Kasuali. Upon reaching the property it was very clear that it was not something we were looking for to stay in. It was an average property with no view. They have tried hard to put nice furniture but everything lacks taste! I would rate the property around 2- 2.5 star. Since I didn’t stay here for more than 15-20 minutes (in which I was checking their rooms) I will skip to next part...

Hotel#2- Baikunth Resort
After getting out of Kasuali Regency I called Baikunth Resort from my car and booked a Deluxe Cottage. I find a hotel impressive when I feel that I haven’t compromised during my stay at the property. If you don’t want to read the whole analysis- summary: found Baikunth Resort pricey for the quality it was offering.

Some facts:
1) Certainly the best property in Kasuali. I chose this (and Kasuali) as getting there is quicker than getting to Shimla.
2) Prices are almost 5 star but the quality is 3.5 to 4 star
3) We had taken the Deluxe Cottage Valley view- The upkeep of room wasn’t great. It was dirty. I loved the 42inch LCD though!
4) The room electric kettle seemed to have never been washed had thick lining of white stuff which gets formed if you boil stuff without cleaning the utensil properly. It seemed it had never been cleaned. Asked for another one- same case. Decided to wash it with detergent on my own, as needed clean boiled water for my 7 month old daughter.
5) Toiletries were a joke- Rs 3. JOY soap X 2 with one Small shampoo. No facial tissues or hand paper napkins.
6) Hot water ran out very soon each time anyone took bath
7) There was a fly that was swatted on one of the mirrors in the room on Day1 of our stay clearly indicating that room was not cleaned properly
8) Complained about hygiene of breakfast being served in restaurant (as boiled water for Tea had some weird stuff in it) along with poor cleaning of room. Manager was quick to get both fixed. Service generally was good.
9) Food was very tasty and that’s the best part about the resort. We realized sticking to Indian was the best deal as we tried Chinese and it was average. Indian was always good. Food is expensive so it’s better that you take their meal plan (which we had thankfully done). The best they have breakfast and 1 major meal plan. The second meal will cost you 500 approx/ person. Since we were visiting during low season (weekdays) we had to do ala carte for dinners- I am not complaining and we ordered generously.
10) 3rd day morning (check out) breakfast was ala carte but the server told us that we could choose only eggs or prantha (Indian bread) or normal bread. I got pissed hearing that and asked for Manager. He quickly said its okay to order food of your choice. Breakfast came in hot and fresh and was delicious. I have to give them 4 out of 5 for Indian food. There Apple pie was great and not to be missed....
11) There is nothing much to do in Kasauli or in the resort so if you are not the one who likes relaxation then this is not the place for you. And the resort is away from everything...
12) The sit our areas in room and the lawn of the property (where they have arranged seats) is good..
13) Oh we never got our welcome drinks till Day 2 before we called them and reminded!
14) Free Wifi is there but only in their Cafe area and not in rooms

Overall I feel that for 18k for 2 nights (with meals) one can book an actual 5 star property in Shimla so why spend the same money on Baikunth and compromise with quality of stay. If you have an eye for detail then this is surely not the perfect place for you.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank molsan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kasauli
3.6 km away
Birds View Kasauli
#5 of 17 in Kasauli
11.7 km away
Moksha Himalaya Spa Resort

Been to Baikunth Resort Kasauli? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK