“Overpriced and not very good”
Review of The Ship

The Ship
Ranked #9 of 14 Restaurants in Parkgate
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: ‘The Ship’ is as much the local’s local as it is the visitor’s retreat, offering the perfect afternoon stop, evening out or weekend escape. Our bar has an array of great local ales, quality wines and soft drinks. We also stock the usual and sometimes not so usual selection of whiskies, gins, rums and other tipples. Our buzzy atmosphere in the pub stems from our healthy mix of diners and those popping in for a drink or two. You can nestle into a cosy corner, relax in front of our open fire, or take in the stunning views over the Dee Estuary to the hills of North Wales. In the warmer months, our heated sun terrace becomes a popular rest for walkers, cyclists and our guests to enjoy a drink whilst embracing the scenery and local wildlife (both the feathered and ice cream munching kind!) Our hearty homemade menu is bursting with well known British classics as well as some of our own creative seasonal specials. Our team of chefs use all fresh and where possible local produce.
Reviewed 29 May 2021 via mobile

Table staff were nice enough but the meal was not great. Soup arrived with a piece of white sliced bread (Warburtons we thought) like you’d expect in a cheap cafe. Whitebait was unpleasant- not hot, a bit slimy, and in a very thick coating of breadcrumbs like a cheap fish finger. From the back of the freezer maybe. Good local asparagus.
Then at least half an hour to wait for next course. Fish and chips excellent though the mushy peas were minty and too sweet and a little strange. Halloumi burger good but came with undercooked fries. Sea bass fine, but far short of high standard I’d expect for the eye watering price, and it was served a little cold.
My impression was a disorganised kitchen that couldn’t get the timing right and was maybe cutting a few corners with ingredients .
However, hospitality service has had such a pounding from lockdowns that perhaps we should forgive the blunders. The manager was receptive to feedback when I spoke to them privately after our meal. Didn’t want to make any kind of fuss during meal as would have upset the person who was paying.
Verdict- stick to the fish and chips

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (313)

Reviewed 10 December 2020 via mobile

Sorry to say as a resident of Parkgate respecting Covid I found Matt particularly challenging tonight over the alcohol rules.
The interpretation of the law went well beyond his remit.
We did everything possible to comply
Made the experience uncomfortable

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 4 November 2020 via mobile

Great food, good value and ambience. First time I’ve eaten here, it was much bigger yet cosier than I expected. There were candles on the table, lighting nice. Staff very attentive and polite. Nice choice of food, and fairly priced - but unlike lots of restaurants and pubs in covid times they certainly delivered. The food was very tasty, good portion sizes. Will definitely be back again.

Date of visit: November 2020
2  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed 1 November 2020

Last meal out prior to next set of covid restrictions. Booked on day of visit. On arrival greeted immediately and shown to table overlooking parkgate front. All relevant covid precautions in place and felt quite safe. Staff lovel. Prompt service. Food was delicious and arrived quickly. The steak and mushroom pie with hand cutchips was just delicious. There was a great selection of real ales on offer and overall I thought it was all good value. I have not eaten here before despite living locally but will certainly do so in future when covid restrictions eased.

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 12 September 2020

So I called today, to double check on my booking, at 12:45 for 4 people, I’d requested a table outside, I was making sure that was okay.

A young girl answered and said we don’t take bookings outside (firstly, they could have contacted me when I booked this as a common courtesy, when I’ve ran restaurants I’ve done it! It saves people being disappointed on arrival), then proceeded to say it a few times as well as going on to say ‘we’ve never reserved tables outside’, which I found extremely rude, how would she know if I’ve been or not, which I replied frustratedly that I’ve never been before so I wouldn’t know.

Never make your customers feel stupid. Think of the bigger picture and be apologetic as opposed to patronising.

I won’t be coming for my booking, which was my family members from out of town coming to visit my new home, very close to you. I’d raved to them that I’d heard lovely things and that it was a gorgeous view and when I’ve walked past the foods always looked amazing.

Just be a bit more courteous in future and give people the best experience whether over the phone or face to face. It’s nice to be nice!

Date of visit: September 2020