All reviews welcoming hosts river cottage their beautiful home lyme regis extensive grounds spent a wonderful week a real treat lovely setting devon countryside taxi service r r homemade jams local walks highly recommend a stay here room was large and comfortable delicious meal the location is perfect
Reviewed 18 June 2017

We booked to stay the night on Saturday at Symondsdown House as part of our weekend visit to River Cottage HQ. Symondsdown house is a stunning 200 year old country retreat, well positioned in beautiful grounds and is unquestionably a fantastic experience of its own. We were lucky enough to stay in the beautiful suite and could not have wished for a more lovely room. Stuart & Marina are the perfect hosts... Breakfast was excellent & made our very short stay so special. It was lovely to meet you Stuart & Marina, thank you very much for your great hospitality. Best wishes. Mark & Sheena

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2017

Spent a wonderful week here.Stuart and Marina are such welcoming hosts that the experience is more like staying with friends. The service extends to restaurant and sightseeing recommendations which were always well judged. The beautiful house, in extensive grounds, is very quiet, the rooms comfortable and if any small improvement is needed it is fulfilled immediately. Breakfast is superb and fresh milk in pretty jugs is supplied for tea. Cannot praise Symondsdown Hous enough. We shall certainly return.

Reviewed 6 June 2017

Having previously spent a weekend here, we came back for a week, and it was fabulous. The house and rooms are superb, Stuart and Marina make you feel so welcome and are so incredibly helpful with local information, even down to making bookings at local restaurants/pubs for you to make sure you get a table. And as for the breakfasts, what can I say....... awesome! If you are ever in the area, this is the place to stay, I cannot recommend it highly enough! We had a wonderful week here, thank you Stuart and Marina for making it so relaxing.

Reviewed 5 June 2017

We promised ourselves that we would return to Symondsdown House for a longer stay and spent a wonderful week here. It was just as we remembered: a very warm welcome, beautiful, spacious rooms and wonderful breakfasts! Stuart and Marina could not be better hosts full of local knowledge on places to visit and hostelries to eat in and even providing taxi services when needed. The visit to a local auction house was a delightful morning!
We would like to say a heartfelt thank you to Staurt and Marina for inviting us into their beautiful home and treating us like family.

Reviewed 15 May 2017

My wife and I were visiting the area as we were dining at the River Cottage HQ, as this was only the second time away in 15 years without children I wanted the whole experience to be something special including the overnight accommodation.
Our stay at Symondsdown House made that weekend special.
The house itself is stunning and set in lovely grounds. We were welcomed by Stuart and Marina who made us feel at home straight away. It was difficult for us to get up in the morning, our room was amazing, dual aspect overlooking the grounds and once the curtains had been pulled back the sunlight pouring through the window with the peace and tranquillity of the area made just want to spend the morning in bed enjoying the experience.
Breakfast at Symondsdown House was an experience in itself, I think if Stuart and Marina ever start doing evening meals River Cottage will need to watch out! The cooked breakfast was the best I have had (and I've had a few) and the home made marmalades and jam were exceptional.

We could not have asked for better hosts, Stuart and Marina make Symondsdown House what it is and that simple is an amazing place to stay.
So to Stuart and Marina both my wife and I would like to say thank you, your friendliness and service to your guests took the whole experience beyond my expectations.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple