All reviews great service quiet location hotel is nicely located wine yards sion vineyards switzerland garden fan cigar region middle management
Reviewed 12 September 2017

The rooms are large and fully equipped and the bathrooms totally modern. The hotel restaurant has excellent food and the terrace on the south side is very welcoming. We did not appreciate the smoking lounge as the aroma of the expensive cigars permeates the facility.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2017

Stayed in this small and charming hotel for some night last week due to a business trip to Sion.
The hotel is nicely located in the middle of the wine yards, and is both lovely, clean and safe to stay in.
I had a large room on the 1th floor, with a terrace overlooking the lovely garden. I really enjoyed having my morning coffee on in the sun on the terrace, and to go for walk in the garden after breakfast.
For some reasons there was no water in the pool, this was a huge disappointing, I read online that there was a pool, and packed my swim wear in the suitcase. I assume it was closed for maintenance, but it would be nice if this was informed on their website so that I didn’t build up an expectation for a lovely swim in the morning. The wifi was the biggest issue during my stay. There was not coverage when in my room, once per hour it worked and I was able to do some work, otherwise I had to sit in the lobby with my laptop if I had work to be done. As soon as you left the building to sit in the garden, the signal was gone. Because of this you had to use mobile data a lot, and it causes some frustration when you cannot the room to do some work in the evening.
The management was fantastic, and all staff members that we met were smiling and providing us with great service and joy, I will return if I ever go back to that region again.

Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Ronny W
Reviewed 20 August 2016

Before booking I was looking for a hotel in the French speaking part of Switzerland close to the motorway and a railway link. There was not a huge choice as some of the hotels in Sion were already fully booked. I was certainly not disappointed at the Hotel Des Vignes and would definitely recommend the hotel. Perhaps the website does not do the bedrooms justice. My review will be honest and cover all aspects of the visit. The hotel is easy to find just off the main road and is set in lovely gardens and vineyards. There is ample free parking. There is a short walk into the village of St Leonard on the other side of the river where there are a couple of cafes, baker, butcher, bars, etc and then on this side of the river there is a Co-op retail park including a pharmacy all within a short walking distance. The railway station of St Leonard is only a 5-10 minute walk away (all on the flat) and has hourly train connections along the Rhone Valley from Sion, Sierre, Visp and Brig with connections on to the Swiss cities of Bern, Geneva, Zurich and Lausanne. Prebook your tickets online for the best train fares and purchase separate local journeys for more savings. Check in at the hotel was quick and efficient with welcoming staff who spoke excellent English. I was really impressed with the room though. It was on 2 levels (floor 2 and 3). The lower level had a double bed and bathroom. The upper level had twin beds and a shower room. The upper level was in the style of a hay loft. The view was across the valley to the Alps - great view. The room was modern particularly the toilets. The room was spacious and very clean. The hotel has a special 3 point plug but reception gave us adaptors to use for electrical devices (for a refundable deposit). The room also had a safe. The only down side to the room was that there is no air conditioning. It was very warm so on the first night quite uncomfortable with just a fan. However, the hotel does have shutters and blinds which can be closed to keep the room cool. We only ate in the restaurant on the first night. It was fairly quiet so lacked atmosphere. We were the only people sitting outside and it was a really hot night. The choice is great. The food is modern and not necessarily typically local. Prices are expensive (comparable to an expensive London restaurant - equivalent of £50 per main meal) although there are cheaper meat free options. Desserts were amazing and clearly home made but again on the expensive side. I would agree with the previous reviews on the extensive wine list from all the local wines. Some great choices. Unlike some of the previous guests I did not get to try and of the wines even although I met the owner on several occasions. Breakfast was fine. A good choice and although it finishes at 10.00am we went down around 9.45am and were not thrown out at 10.00am. Breakfast staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast choice was good but not the best I've seen in Swiss hotels so can see how previous reviews have said that it was average. The fresh fruit salad was amazing with the local fruits, good choice of muesli, drinks, breads, cheese, cooked meats and boiled eggs. All in a buffet to help yourself as much or as little as you like. There is a large modern bar area and an outside terrace bar overlooking the lawn with views across the vineyards to the Alps. The swimming pool was out of order during our stay but we knew about this before we arrived. Hotel has free wifi which worked really well.

Overall, I found the hotel to be expensive. I liked the location with good transport links to the Rhone Valley motorway and railway line. I liked the spaciousness of the rooms and the staff who were friendly to ensure we had a great time.

I would highly recommend this hotel if the price is right and would definitely like to return in the future.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank AngusAsh
Reviewed 4 May 2016 via mobile

Nice place to stay. Not in the city of Sion but the hotel have a nice surrounding to explore. Very good reception and staff, nice and big room although need a bit extra attention about the cleaning of the bathroom. An upgrading of breakfast quality will give higher grade to the hotel because the hotel do serve great dinner

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2016

Beautiful cigar lounge! We often go there to have a cigar and I must say it is the best place for it in the area. Nice garden too and looking forward to the summer to enjoy it.
Friendly people and beautifuly refurbished.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends