All reviews family baths outdoor bath hot springs kurokawa onsen waterfall village stream kumamoto futon gps japan bus meals toilet river dinner remote
Reviewed 27 November 2015 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the special western room with a private onsen on the patio. This was a tranquil, memorable and relaxing experience. The ryokan staff was courteous, friendly and spoke enough English for us to communicate fine. We loved our meals here, we stayed here a total of two nights and none of the meals repeated. Even the location of where we sat changed each morning and night. Everything was very well thought out. We loved staying by the stream and hearing the sound of rushing water to sleep. Walking at night in the grounds was very soothing. Not to mention that most of the onsens in the grounds are opened 24 hours.

Okunoyu offers 3 private baths that you can use for 1 hour just by going to front desk, if it's available you can use it. The views are phenomenal. One of the private baths 'Momiji no yu' offers open bath facing the river, it was the one we enjoyed the most in the grounds. Other than that, the mixed use of the cave onsen and the river onsen facing a waterfall was the best Okunoyu has to offer. For me, I waited until night time when they had a two hour slot for ladies use only.

The room was cozy and we had different desserts every day that they left in our room. We enjoyed drinking the green tea after usage of the private onsen. They have a small water boiler in the room. I also opted to do a 60 min lymphatic massage. I loved everything about my stay here!

Tips: they offer complimentary shuttle service from the kurokawa bus stop to the resort (it's just a 3 min. shuttle ride). FYI, from aso station to kurokawa, you can take the Kyushu Odan bus for 990 yen. The buses run infrequently, only 3 times a day.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
7  Thank shineAurora
Reviewed 24 November 2015

A bit isolated from the main village but love the mountain and quiet location. Our room was nextby the water stream and we can hear the nice water sound throughout the stay. We have a small private onsen bath with excellent view of the river and the trees. We went on a rainy and windy day. Several public onsen to choose from. Beautiful outdoor onsen facility. Was a bit cold for us to walk around from building to building as it was rainy and windy on our visit. But, still, would visit again later. Food are great. Staff are friendly.

Room Tip: ask for a room with nextby the stream
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank P T
Reviewed 23 November 2015 via mobile

Stayed a couple nights early in early Nov. Taking into account what we paid, this was the experience, in summary:
1) Zombie reception. No greetings on arrival. Didn't speak a word of English (which is fine by me) BUT made no effort to help when we asked about how to get around the area. Bordered on rude when we asked if there was a second entrance to the resort as the main one was via a very very narrow treacherous road. Insisted we hand them our car keys without bothering to tell us why even we asked. Apparently part of the check in process includes shoving a tablet at guests and letting them go figure.
2) Bad smell in guest toilet. The room was next to what seemed like the kitchen vents cos there was a constant array of bad oil smells permeating the air in our bedroom every time we opened the windows. Didn't really see the point of their futon beds as they were thin as paper - bad sleepless nights galore.
3) Only saving grace were the girls in the restaurant and pretty decent fresh food that was served.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SandraB2630
Reviewed 12 November 2015

After a few false starts we found the hotel, up a little lane next to a river - isolated and beautiful but only 5 mins from the village. We were met outside reception by the staff - someone parked our car for us, someone else showed us to our room. We were on the first floor of the main block - a traditional room, huge and calm, with traditional furniture, a balcony looking out to trees and the river, all in quite lovely wood - cedar I think. There was green tea ready, a sweet snack, yukatas to change into, and whenever we left the room it was tidied and prepared for our return. Both nights' dinners were a real experience; menus tailored to my vegetarianism and my partner's avoidance of beef with lots of exquisitely presented small dishes and with the waitresses explaining what things were and how to tackle them. Breakfasts were just as enjoyable. The hot baths were duly explored by my partner who really enjoyed them - indoors and out apparently. The whole thing couldn't have been better. We would return tomorrow if we could. A big thank you to all the staff who made us so welcome.

Room Tip: I think main block first floor was great - couldn't have been improved.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2015

I researched many hotels before finally settling with this choice. It was not a bad choice. But for my family, we preferred something else. The hotel was very traditional, and the nice onsens were "mixed gender". I could not get myself to be brave enough to do that. So I didn't get to experience the beautiful riverside onsens and the special cave onsen. We booked the nicest room. It was the Japanese house with private outdoor onsen. Very nice but we didn't like the outdoor onsen. It was too dark and gloomy. There were many bugs and weird insects flying around. One was a HUGE Moth/butterfly looking thing that was the size of my palm. It was flying around the outdoor onsen room and wouldn't leave. We had to get the maintenance man to come in and he killed it, among cleaning other bugs and sorts before we dared to use it. The flashlight in the room was out of battery. Luckily he came and helped us. He was a very old and kind man.

We were very comfortable in the house, three children on the futons and my husband and I had nice western style twin bed each. Flat screen TV, and very spacious. Clean.

The hotel has many facilities considering it's a traditional style onsen hotel. Many onsen to choose from, and we had a good time trying the stone sauna where you lie on the ground and the slab of stone is very hot. Felt very nice. There is an indoor swimming pool too. No one used it. There is a hot spring for cooking eggs too. We didn't like the food very much though. In all the years of staying in luxurious onsen hotels around Japan, this one was quite a disappointment actually. Not terrible, but not as refined and not very very good as I would have expected.

The staff at reception were not rude, just very cool. It was very expensive in my opinion. The location of the hotel in the region isn't as nice. It's near the entrance of the onsen area, on the right. But the main street where all the quaint shops are a bit further in on the left. Once the sun goes down, there really was no way we could walk out there and in the morning, check out was at 10am, it's kind of hard to spend any time walking there.

Our "house" was the furthest one from the main reception building, and had to walk in our yukatas and the slippers they provided for us were very slippery and hard to walk around in the uneven road. We ended up wearing back our own runners. In the morning and night, the temperature was quite cool. We had to put on our coats to stay warm.

Overall, it was nice, but overpriced for what we got and in comparison to all the onsen hotels we have stayed in the past. We always stayed in very nice onsen hotels around Japan, and this one was one that made us feel a little disappointed. Nevertheless, we had a nice time and it's nice for a one night stay.

Stayed: October 2015