“Fantastic wine selection”
Review of Aqua Alpine Hakuba

Aqua Alpine Hakuba
Ranked #12 of 101 Hotels / Ryokan in Hakuba-mura
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Unfortunately I didn't stay at the Alpine hotel however I went there for a a glass of wine after hard day of skiing. I was recommended to visit by Snow Powder Josh with whom I had booked my ski package with. The hotel is really lovely (haven't seen the rooms tho), I ended up getting a nice bottle of Chilean red wine and I was able to leave the bottle there for the whole wk. Im sure the wine selection will satisfy even the fussy ones, it is simply fantastic and prices a what u expect in ski resort but not over the top. I sat on one of the most comfortable sofas I ever seen in Japan and relax front of the open fire without being a guest of the hotel. Staff was super friendly and the atmosphere was cosy.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

We had an excellent stay at Aqua Alpine in January. The staff are excellent and extremely helpful. Organising gear, lessons, lift passes and tours was very good. They did bend over backwards to accommodate every guests needs.

The hotel aspects could do with a few improvements. The al-a-carte menu is very basic, the towels are too small and there were a couple of buttons missing off the radio. These are all minor items, if fixed would round off the experience to a consistent excellent.

The upstairs rooms have a nicer feel than downstairs, mainly due to the view.

The fireplace, bar and lounge area was very nice.

The shuttle service was excellent, efficient and also did a few extra runs to help with other things (like getting cash at the 7-11). John (who runs the shuttle) is a top bloke and a real gentleman.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have a view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Thanks for the “GREAT TIME”
I am one of the five that accompanied Jeremy for the two day ski trip/Australia Day. The staff at the Aqua Alpine Hotel is exceptional, Thanks so much Sam, Rob, Jonathan, Leo, Samantha you made me feel like I was at home. The service was phenomenal never a wait for anything. The shuttle was right there when you needed it every time, Jonathan your the man. The kangaroo burger (my first) was awesome to say the least. The Eggs Benedict Saturday morning was great as well. I can’t wait to return for some more of their great hospitality food and up to your waist powder. The sprinklers that water the driveway is such a great way to keep the snow away so you don’t slip and bust your you know what. You can bet I will be coming back as soon as possible.
Steve J

Room Tip: The suite was great, it slept three ski bums just fine. The shower set up was very cool.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2013

The theme of this trip is "It just keeps getting better!". We had a party of 5 with a last minute reservation. The guys at the Aqua Alpine bent over backwards to get us in the weekend of Jan 25-27. We arrived at the train station Friday night and we were met promptly by Rob and Sam. Upon arrival we were welcomed by John and Akbar who check us in and helped us with our luggage. From my understanding, the hotel is an ex-corporate retreat center. The main social area is made up of a bar and lounge area with a wood burning fireplace and relaxing sofa chairs. The other half is the dining room area for breakfast and dinner. We had some great drinks and appetizers the first night of our arrival.
The next morning we had a fantastic breakfast. It had snowed 70 cm over night. Sam took us to get our gear. The rental shop pulled out all the stops and pulled the wrappers off a brand new pair of Black Crow powder boards! It was a powder day and probably dropped another 70cm. Skiing at Goryu was amazing (even though the visibility was low) and we skied back to the hotel after we were done. We hopped in the onsen soon after (make your reservation ahead of time). It was Australia Day so the Aqua Alpine hosted a great celebration. We met some great Australian folks (in case you can't tell by now, we are from the States). We had Kangaroo burgers and more great comfort food. The snow kept falling.
Later in the evening we went to a local bar with our hosts Rob and Sam to continue Australia Day celebrations.
Even though this sounds like a great recommendation for singles, I saw several families at the hotel that appeared to be having a great time as well. They have skiing for all skills from first time to expert. There is also a game room with full size billiards that the kids will love.
The next day breakfast was great again. Omlets, waffles, and eggs Benedict to die for. We hit the slopes early. Went all the way to the top and managed to get almost first tracks down. Skiing was epic with snow so deep you couldn't find the bottom.
Again, we returned to the onsen for a nice soak before jumping on the train to go home.
I can't wait to go back. There are so many other ski slopes I'm the area to explore.
Rob, Sam, John, Akbar and the rest of the staff at the Aqua Alpine made our visit unforgettable.

Room Tip: There are only about 12 rooms. The two we had were great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jeremy J
Reviewed 31 January 2013

This year was our 3rd stay at Aqua Alpine in 4 years and although I agree with a reviewer below that the house keeping services need to be addressed in some instances and the ‘dinner / bar menu’ needs to be reviewed to allow for a variety of options including ‘comfort food’ as the set menu did not appear to be an option for most people who were staying at the hotel which I believe would then compliment the other food establishments near the hotel, we are already in the process of booking for next year!

We feel fortunate to have found this place 4 years ago – its location is great although if you miss one of the (many) shuttles provided by the hotel in the morning, the short walk up the hill certainly warms up your leg for skiing but it’s the people and the services that they provide that makes staying at the hotel so enjoyable. Josh and Akbar are superb hosts and go out of their way to ensure that all guests are welcomed and no request is too small for them. This year there was John, Sam and Robb (special mention to Robb for suggesting the Californian wine which great) who were just as attentive and helpful to not only us but to everyone around.

It is a very welcoming place and provides an environment that not only suits families but also allows guests to mingle and get to know each other and chat about how great the snow and skiing conditions are in Hakuba

See you next year! :)

Room Tip: Nothing beats having a Spa in the Mountain Suite at the end of a long day of skiing!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family