Despite the reviews that we had been reading on the net, nothing prepared us for the tranquil setting of the Bungalow on the Beach. It was our first visit to a Neemrana Hotels property and we were quite impressed with the work done on the renovation of the property. The rooms were very well done up and did transport to ages gone by. The location was fantastic with a great view during sunrise and sunset. Given that Tranquebar does not attract too many tourists given the lack of other hotels, it was a serene break from the bustling city life. However, during our stay the swimming pool was under renovation. Also, on the negative side, given the small setup, they did not have much variety of food, especially for the vegetarians and lack of other options to eat in the vicinity was a damp squib. Also, the service was quite limited. I must admit that if you are looking for a hotel stay, this would not be the right place. However, if you are on the lookout for a homestay kind of experience, this would fit the bill.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The restored Bungalow stands as a reminder of a Danish Admiral, Ove Gjedde, sent by the king of Denmark with two ships. They were well received by the Nayak ruler of Tanjore, and given this territory. Then Dansborg, the Fort of Tharangambadi – a solid example of Scandinavian military architecture was established to export pepper to Denmark. The oldest Lutheran church in India was built here in 1706.Today you can drive in through a beautiful gate of the majestic King Street, past Lutheran churches and grand bungalows of the Danish Governors’ and the British Collector’s residence. Re-live marine history; visit the temples of Kumbakonam and Tanjore. The town remains a glorious tribute to architecture from across the world.Tranquebar is reputed to have the thickest ozone layer in India which is ideal for relaxation as it rejuvenates and helps all those who visit prolong their life. Facing full east, The Bungalow on the Beach gives guests their own encounter with the sun and sea breeze. Time becomes irrelevant when you stand facing the sunrise: a 14th century Pandya temple on your left and a 17th century Danish fort to the right.Come taste ‘eternity’ in a stopover! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelGuru and ClearTrip so you can book your Neemrana's Bungalow on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bungalow On The Beach Hotel Tharangambadi
- Hotel On The Beach
- Neemrana's Bungalow On The Beach Tharangambadi, Tamil Nadu