“Fabulous evening meal out”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #5 of 56 Restaurants in Marple
Cuisines: Pub
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I am not usually the trip advisor type, however, with my experience last night being so different to some of the reviews I have seen on here I felt the need to write my own.
Entering we were welcomed with warmth into what appeared to be a very busy pub with few members of staff. However the level of service and quality of the food we received was outstanding. The dishes were wonderfully presented and beautifully seasoned - the sort of food people pay a lot more for. To top it all of we could not commend the young girl who served us enough ( and that was not only on her beautiful smart clothing) . No request was too much and we only had to think we might need something more and she would be there! Such service where staff actually take there time to give their attentio is very difficult to come across - her humour and smile really did make our night. The only improvement which could have been made to out evening would have been the temperature as it was a little cold until the fire was turned up as soon as we asked.
We will most certainly be back again and will be recommending this quaint pub to all our friends.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I visited the Crown last weekend and the only thing ok with this place was the portion size.
I ordered a glass of wine which the waitress seemed annoyed that I even asked for her service. The wine came and had lipstick on the glass - when I sent this back I heard 2 staff members complaining about my complaint - not unreasonable to expect your drink in a clean glass?!?
The table we were sat on was sticky and clearly wasn't cleaned before we were seated.
The floor had the remains of someone's left overs on it under us.
Our food took a long time to come out considering we only ordered what I would consider light meals.
Toilets were filthy and didn't have the most pleasant odour (not that this is directly their fault)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Came here for lunch. Stilton Burger for me. Fish Pie for the wife. Both meals were delicious. Fantastic service and brilliant beer.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

First time here and definitely won't be returning. Was really put out by a very rude waitress who was short with us and did not seem to have any people skills at all. We had order mix ups and no food showing up at all and her attitude terrible, no apologies and treated us as if it was our fault. I've rarely come across such rude wait staff.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Good Points:

It’s an odd part of human nature that it is easier to write lots about faults and little about excellence. This therefore will be a short review.
Four of us visited on a Monday evening. We arrived about 6.30 and we had a wide choice of tables. The tables are a good size, the restaurant/pub is well-appointed with nice separation between the drinking and eating parts.
Our waitress did an excellent job of welcoming us, making us feel at home and explaining the menu with its various options. She was attentive, smiling and professional throughout the meal.
The menu has both regular items and a good range of specials of the day.
The fish was delicious and the chicken chosen by others was judged first rate. I noted a comment about over-salty food by another reviewer, personally we use little salt and I can report that our meals were perfectly seasoned.
The wine, by the glass, was good – better than you get in many a pub and it perfectly matched the food.

Disappointing points:

None of my fellow diners wanted a dessert so I felt constrained not to have one either.

Odd things
I guess people don.t eat out on Mondays in Cheshire. They should.