“Christmas does not get any better than this!”
Review of Kipling Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kanha National Park
Kipling Camp
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We booked to spend 5 nights for our family Christmas here. We were meeting up with our son who lives in Australia and flew into Delhi from the uk. We travelled by train and we're met at Jabalpur station. We wanted somewhere with the space to relax together and share an adventure. Kipling camp surpassed all expectations. There are not enough superlatives to express how wonderful our Christmas holiday was here. And we saw 3 tigers on our 4th and last safari! But even if we had not seen a tiger: swimming with Tara the elephant, riding on Tiara, the tribal dancing, film evenings, excellent food, Christmas dinner, afternoon at the village market, and all the excellent conversations around the fires were more than enough to keep us occupied. Indeed Greg has returned to Nepal, postponing his flight back to Aus to 'make a difference' so inspired was he by his night time conversations with Barbara and Anne and the other guests. Charles and his team worked tirelessly to make sure everything was perfect. Thank you Belinda, Anne, Charles, Sam, Tom, all the staff and each and every guest we were privileged to share Christmas with. Christmas 2013 will be remembered forever!
Sandra, Peter, Greg and Hatty x

Room Tip: We stayed in the lovely bungalow by the watering hole.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 33Doc
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

This is my fourth stay at Kipling Camp and my first review of it. We stayed for 4 nights and were efficiently picked up and dropped off to Nagpur airport (about 250 kms away). Kipling Camp is rustic and comfortable, the way a jungle camp should be.

The aesthetics and décor are perfect with not one jarring note. The shamiana is a lovely space to take it easy, with a great library and plenty of information on the flora and fauna of Kanha. A special note of appreciation of the Gond art in the shamiana.

Rooms: Our room was very cozy and tastefully made; it was good to have an AC in the middle of April, especially after the safari. Our bed was comfortable, the beds in our friend’s room however, tended to sag a little.

Service and Food: Having visited here in the past, I must say that the food has improved immensely as has the service. The personalized service is refreshing and the staff are extremely polite and helpful.

Safari: The quality of the safari is great as always with the drivers being extremely knowledgeable on the birds and animals. The tracking and spotting skills of Rahim and Rehmat are fabulous.

And then of course there is Tara, sitting by the Banjar at sunset watching her play in the river will make your stay here unforgettable.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank notintentonarriving
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We had won an auction to the Kipling Camp and we drove down straight from Pune until Kanha. Right from the time we reached for a late lunch until the time we departed after 3 stunning nights we were spoilt for choice of good food, great company and a personalised service which one can experience only in a property like Kipling Camp. Each staff member here has been at the property for years and some of them have been right there since there youth and now touching there 60's. This is what makes all the difference between Kipling Camp and other Lodges. Tara their elephant is an added bonus...
We were there in the summers and I would suggest trying to avoid the summers and being there anytime during the winters.
Do experience the stay here....
Regards,
Raahhul

Room Tip: Do stay in their suite....
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Raahhul
Reviewed 6 March 2013

There were many lovely things about this camp. One of the owners, Belinda Wright, is an ardent conservationist and I always like to support such efforts. This camp reflects basic conservation values of saving water, trying not to negatively impact the environment, etc. The location is a quiet setting in the forest with wildlife around so that was most excellent.

One of the major attractions is the resident elephant, Tara - subject of the book "Travels With My Elephant." I had been looking forward to bathing her in the river, as advertised, as a trip highlight. However I was most disappointed on arrival to learn that one must not have an afternoon safari scheduled in order to participate in this activity. Had I known that I would have planned accordingly, but I did not - I booked through an agent who also was not aware. So do be aware of this and plan accordingly so you can include a visit with Tara in your plans!!

The accommodation here was comfortable, with a clean room, hot water shower, and a nice community/eating area. Free wi-fi available as well for checking in at home.

The food here was not my favorite of the trip. If you are vegetarian let them know in advance, as unlike many other places in India, the assumption here seems to be that you are non-veg. They easily adapted upon my arrival, but I have to say that the food was not as good as I had elsewhere. When they served Indian food it was good, but unfortunately they also had some "English" food which I did not care for at all - mashed potatoes, peas, pasta with a strange vegetable sauce. It's passable to good but I would not rave about it food-wise.

The manager, staff and other guests were all interesting to talk to, friendly and outgoing so it was a pleasant stay. They also have a resident dog, which I always find to be a huge plus when on a long trip! When visiting Kanha I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank DAEsmae
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Kipling Camp is definitely the best jungle camp I've been to. Rustic and basic, it blends perfectly into the jungle of which it is a part. Yet the amenities it offers guests -- hot water bottles, wonderful home cooked food, excellent company provided by the manager Charles, owners Anne and Belinda Wright and of course the lovely menagerie of animals -- Kim, Bhura and Millie and the lovely elephant Tara -- were exceptional. We were a large family group with four kids between ten and fourteen. Tara would sit them on her back and take them to the river to bathe. The children swam with her everyday and it was a task getting them out of the water! Christmas lunch was spectacular, roast turkey cranberry sauce and all the trimmings -- but even the daily meals we had there were great. My daughter said that she'd been all over the world, but Kipling Camp gave her the best holiday of them all!

Room Tip: Don't bother carrying reading material, the Camp has a lovely library! ALso, make sure to book a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family