“A 'no frills' country pub with good food and a relaxed atmosphere.”
Review of The Derby Arms

The Derby Arms
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 21
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Derby Arms joined the Ainscoughs Pub team in December 2008 after extensive restoration. Serving good food, beer and wine in a traditional environment with log fires and period furniture just like the rest of the pubs in the group. We have now been recommended in the Michelin Pub Guide for 2014 and have won the 'Pub of the Season' award, CAMRA. We have a games room with a pool table and dart board which is intended to form the focus of the village. The Derby Arms was purchased from Punch Taverns by the Witherslack Community Land Trust and the Ainscough Family took over the lease to preserve it as part of Witherslack life. Part of the pub was converted into the village shop, run by the community with community shareholders.
Reviewed 30 October 2017

We were staying at the nearby Beech Hill House, and the pub is a two minute walk away. The atmosphere is that of a popular pub for locals, though as visitors we were made welcome, and there was a good choice on the menu. Service was relaxed and friendly.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

My wife and I ate here recently having been meaning to come for some time.

We arrived at lunchtime on a sunny weekday and sat outside. I went to order soft drinks (no ice, it hadn't been delivered apparently) and to order the meal for us both.

We did not order a starter and it took over 45 minutes for the main meals to arrive, despite not being that busy. The food was good, not anything exceptional and I think that £13.50 each was way over the top for the burgers which arrived, as I said, they were good not great!

I would return and give it another go but I really think the management need to have a look at what they want this place to be as it appears to be a catering "jack of all trades - master of none" when with a little focus they could be really good in their field.

I gave this a 3*** "Average" rating as there is nothing between that and 4**** "Very Good" which I believe it does not qualify for.

All in all it's not a bad pub lunch......

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Staff were pleasant & friendly but the actual meal was disappointing. Nice amount of vegetables cooked reasonably well but not served hot, perhaps not enough staff in the right places? Sadly the roast potatoes were really poor, not a t all crisp & although I'm sure they were fresh they had the texture & look of being made the day before & warmed up. Relaxed environment though & good location so a happy time for all. Child & dog friendly so that was thoughtful.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

A group of 18 people with multiple allergies and requests can offer a nightmare to the chef. The derby arms however were great they catered for all and the food was fantastic.
Only reason why not 5 stars was due to the menu prices being higher than advertised on the website so caused confusion with the bill.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Read a lot of reviews before booking as we had heard through the grapevine this was the place to eat. Reading the reviews seemed to be from very dissapointed to brilliant, so decided to give it a try. Started off with a couple of platters,one bread and one plough mans. Very tasty and well presented. Then we had one salad ( no probs there), two steak and ale pies (no prob there) one chicken which my wife did not really enjoy and one kids fish and chips which was ok. Desserts were nice but nothing out of the norm. We had beers and wine as usual. Overall honestly speaking on reflection of all the reviews I read, it seems to me people are giving a fair response. Would I book again? Maybe, there are plenty of places I haven't tried yet, which I intend to do.