“Steak pie”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

Ordered three steak pies and came with a excellent customer service. Fast service and drinks came very fast as well. Will defiantly be coming again for food and drink.

3  Thank westyorkshire_97

Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

I live visiting the Claremont just for the starter if soup! It's always a good meal here I would recommend to others.

1  Thank Bex T
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

We all enjoyed our lunch at the Claremont and had a family get together. Staff are friendly and helpful and good choice of mains which are tasty.

1  Thank Shellllll
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Have eaten here on many occasions and never been disappointed. Very friendly, welcoming atmosphere with a good quality varied menu.

1  Thank Margo C
Reviewed 9 May 2017

We moved into the Polmont area fairly recently, and realised we hadn’t yet visited our main ‘local’ – the Claremont Inn. We called in for lunch on a Tuesday, without booking; the Inn was about half full and filled up gradually during our stay, including a good number of younger families and groups. (For dinner, the servers recommended making a reservation by phone.)

The Inn is a fairly modern building, in a prime site next to the newish Aldi superstore with a large car park (not exclusive to Aldi customers), so Claremont Inn customers have no problem parking. The Inn has some tables and chairs outside on decking, but the main area inside is on two levels. The lower level houses a substantial bar with some table seating and stools for 40; the main eating area is up a couple of steps (there’s also a ramp if needed) and can seat up to 90 covers. Reading other reviews, it seems the experienced owner Douglas took over the business a few years ago and has clearly made improvements.

The décor is attractive, rather like a hunting lodge: dark panelled walls, a fireplace with a pair of antlers above. Lighting is subdued and peaceful; every area, including the toilets, is very clean. Thankfully there is no background music, and the only sound was the happy buzz of contented conversation – a very good ambience to eat in. The servers (our main server was Megan) were very friendly and knew exactly what was on offer, and the barman (sorry, I missed his name) was equally friendly and also very aware of his customers’ needs.

To drink, I had a pint of draft pilsner, which was very good, and my wife had a bottle of Beck’s Blue. (Btw, the Inn has an interesting wine list which I look forward to sampling.) The main menu offers fairly standard pub fare - on the website the kitchen team and/or owner Douglas state their aim as to serve ‘traditional home-style cooking’ - and the Inn also offers a daily specials menu; in addition there’s a children’s’ menu. We ordered two specials: my wife chose Medallions of Pork in a Peppercorn Cream Sauce (served with potatoes, peas and carrots), and I ordered Chicken Balti (served with rice and naan bread).

The dishes were indeed what I would call ‘homely’ - in other words, perfectly acceptable home-style cooking using local suppliers, so I’m giving 4 stars for doing this well. My fresh and tender chicken strips were well cooked, then added to what I’m guessing (I didn’t ask so it’s a guess based on a lack of edge to the spicing) was a catering supply Balti sauce, served with rice and a supplied naan – all very flavoursome. No complaint about this – it’s what ‘home-style’ means today. My wife’s pork wasn’t strictly ‘medallions’, which should strictly be pork loin cut across the grain, but steaks with some fat still attached. They were a wee bit overcooked, but everything was well-seasoned and flavourful.

For a dessert we shared a well-plated New York Cheesecake (it seemed to be from a catering supplier but again that’s not a complaint at all - many more expensive restaurants rely on their suppliers to provide a wider range of desserts if they lack a pastry section), served with whipped cream, a coulis and fresh strawberries – tasty and attractively light to eat.

Prices are very, very reasonable – including the drinks the total bill was just over £25. We had a very enjoyable and relaxed lunch at the Claremont Inn and will be happy to return with family and friends. It’s great to know this is just down the road.

1  Thank Andrew K