“Tasty Food, Good Service - Expensive”
Review of The Portrait House - CLOSED

The Portrait House
Price range: US$ 18 - US$ 33
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2016 via mobile

Went early doors (arrive 5-6.30) with 18 ppl inc. 7 kids. All adults went for the 3 course for £20 option which was good value. Prices on the menu looked like I wouldn't have thought the same paying full price; but the food was excellent (try the lamb sizzler). They gave us plenty of off menu options to satisfy the kids too. Wine was also reasonably priced and nice. Staff were attentive and welcoming.
We had a kitchen issue leading to an error with a couple of the desserts and how they tasted - after saying something the waitress took them away (offered replacements), confirmed the error and then discounted everyone's desserts from the bill. Which was well handled. I would go back again for the early doors menu.

Reviewed 20 March 2016

We ate at the Portrait House from a christmas menu. The food was enjoyable and tasty. The staff, although very polite, were not the most efficient I have met, for example, we had to ask three times for a carafe o water. Would try again, maybe for a lunchtime snack.

2  Thank cymrobangor
Reviewed 19 March 2016

We decided to visit this restaurant with friends recently. A nice atmosphere when we walked in with a lovely bar area for having a drink before sitting down for our meal. Menu was varied with some interesting and tasty options. However, we were disappointed to find that most dishes did not have accompaniments and that these would all be charged extra. The food came and it was lovely, including a perfectly cooked steak. The desserts were also great. I particularly enjoyed the very fun Portrait House mess! Unfortunately, when we had finished our meal and we decided to leave, it took staff a long time to notice we have finished. After that, it then took even longer for staff to notice us trying to ask for the bill (it seemed as if they were avoiding our eyes) and then even longer to get a card machine to pay. This whole process seemed to take about 45 minutes which was a shame considering we had enjoyed a lovely evening. I would like to try this place again.

Reviewed 14 March 2016 via mobile

Really enjoyable evening. Warm welcome and good service.
Food very tasty but huge portions so never made it to puds !. Worth a visit

Reviewed 7 March 2016

Had a very enjoyable lunch here over the weekend. I must admit I hadn't been before because never thought the menu looked very interesting, and reviews on TripAdvisor are mixed, but I'm very glad I came.

The restaurant is bright and modern, with tasteful decor. We were very well looked after by a male waiter (who I think said he was usually the chef), who brilliantly dealt with all of our requests and ensured we had a lovely time.

The food was tasty - very generous portion sizes. I struggled to eat all of mine unfortunately!

Would definitely come again. Thank you.