“What a shame !!”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Purfleet B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2016

Used to come to this pub/Hotel back in the seventies and eighties so thought we would give it a try for a couple of drinks as it has a great location next to the river, thoughts of how it was in it's heyday where the place was busy with families and a great restaurant serving good food with a carvery at weekends and well tended outside areas well you could relax and enjoy the views were quickly dispersed the moment we arrived ! The bar had the usual idiots and lowlife who seemed to have cropt up all over the Southeast in the last ten years. We thought that we would try and escape to the garden but this was ruined by the state of the place with beer cans strewn all over the uncut lawn. After ten minutes three louts on trial bikes roared up and ruined that idea, all in all it is a shame how this once proud hotel has been run down and allowed to be over-run with undesirables.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere !
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Royal Hotel

Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

I'm not one to complain but the staff are rather rude, my room hasn't been serviced in 2 days, and I'm staying for 4 nights... I've had to ask for clean towels, tea, milk etc every day as well as clean towels, emptied my own bin and put it in the skip outside! The shower leaks all over the floor in the bathroom, it's dirty, everything is broken, even the window locks, I went for food this evening (Sunday) in the restaurant, well tried, at 18:50, was told the restaurant shut at 7pm, asked about a gluten free menu/option and they said we don't do that so you'll have to go elsewhere... I told them it was a shame they felt the need to treat me like that as I was staying here but will not be eating here for the rest of my stay, I also told them about the shower etc and I got, "we will fix it Tuesday when you leave..." There's people outside smoking weed and my room stinks of it, I'm on the top floor and can still smell it... I know it's just a place to stay while I work but it's somewhere you wouldn't want to stay... People also outside on the grassed area in the day doing wheel spins in their cars, playing loud music and motor bikes and quads racing up and down a public footpath outside the windows... Not good... Not impressed, I'd rather sleep in my car than here again! I'm a contractor and work have been informed, I hope o don't have to stay here in the future... I even asked to move rooms and got "we are fully booked sorry" which I don't believe for a moment... After all, who'd want to stay here!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2016

Clean room (but the hall way smells badly of smoke as people are obviously smoking with the door open) with a nice view and a path to walk along the Thames.

Hard to find anywhere to park or anyone to check you in or out as there isn't anyone on the main desk and the bar is busy.

The rooms aren't soundproofed so you spend all night hearing the doors slamming as people come back. We could also hear every word the people in the room next to us said and were kept awake all night with the noise of them drinking and singing.

No wifi available in the rooms

Room Tip: Ask for a room not in the cottage
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2016

Renovation on going but the hotel location and the view from my room was amazing see photos, the staff very helpful TV Remote was missing they provided one, nothing too much good service, Car park a bit congested and need to be addressed

Room Tip: Car Parking could be tricky
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

This hotel is right by the waters edge and is ok to sit outside on a nice evening. I stayed here as it was a cheap night and on the way to my next place of work. The staff were very friendly, especially the girl behind the bar who was run off her feet but kept smiling and laughing it off. The lady on reception was also nice and cheery.

The room I had was basic and was actually a room in a house in the grounds.... it was clean but tired and found it to be quite noisy when others come into their rooms at all hours. The electric shower refused to get warm so had to skip that.

I had an evening meal of a burger and cheesy chips.... they were actually some of the best I have tasted.... lovely a chunky and crispy with lashings of Cheese. Not bad value. There is nothing else in walking distance to eat so had to eat there as wished to relax with a drink or two.

I would stay again based on the friendliness of the staff and the price but I would ask if there was a quieter room.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Purfleet
2.7 km away
6.1 km away
Park Inn by Radisson Thurrock
Park Inn by Radisson Thurrock
#1 of 1 in North Stifford

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK