The George Hotel(Chollerford)
US$ 85
US$ 77
  • Pool
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 90/night.

US$ 138
US$ 125
US$ 136
US$ 48
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 58/night.

Travelocity
US$ 87
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Close House Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
TripAdvisor
1,657 results
All reviewslibrary restaurantspa facilitiesafternoon teakeepers lodgedrawing roomspa breakclassic roomsteam roomdeluxe roomconservatory bargolf clubhot stone massageevening mealsconesduty managerwedding venuebirthday treat
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Actually went as guests to a wedding. The staff were amazing and friendly. The room was lovely and a great size. The spa facilities looked excellent - although we didn’t partake (this time!) The breakfast was excellent.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Colette W
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Must be a couple of years since I last stayed and although the hotel has not changed much my experience was so much better. We paid for a Deluxe room and it was very comfortable, nicely decorated and the room was clean with all facilities and a very nice bathroom. The restaurant on the Library was wonderful service was polite and we had a £36 allowance which we found to be more than enough. The food was lovely. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves very Good

4  Thank angela t
Reviewed 5 April 2018

We have stayed at Matfen several times and hope to continue enjoying the unique atmosphere and excellent facilities for many years. Easy to book, great offers, amazing staff, good spa and pool, charming rooms, always immaculately clean and the dining is of a high standard, on the whole. Having said that, we were a little sad to find the main courses less than the expected standard; my pasta was tough! Beautiful mushroom sauce, but too thick and chewy. However, the general ambience and good wine meant we enjoyed our evening immensely and did not merit a complaint. Breakfast is always an event! Never well organised despite the number of staff, but again, we so enjoy the place and the choices are so varied and good, that the random service is excused. my favourite hotel of all time.

Room Tip: ask the member of staff when you book - they may well describe the alternatives - view r not etc.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank singap0re47
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights for a family wedding that took place in the great hall. The check in was easy the staff very professional and friendly,the rooms clean and warm with plenty of space. The breakfasts were lovely and we both loved the library room where you went to have breakfast. We also had a pre wedding dinner which was delicious and liked that there was lots of local produce used. The wedding breakfast menu was lovely - and absolutely delicious- it was a lovely place to spend a few days at a family occasion.

1  Thank Val L
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We were given this nice treat by our son. Firstly when we arrived the waitress couldn’t find my name, I asked to look at her paper with names on I was on there but my name spelt wrongly ( this was after spelling my surname out when I booked).
We were shown to our table at 3.30 p.m. and were told I’ll leave you with the menu to pick your tea and I’ll be back soon. Also in the library were another couple behind us also having the same and another 3 large tables of people having Sunday lunches. The tables who were having the lunches were looked after kept coming to the tables asking if they were alright, my husband and I and the other couple just left. By this time half an hour had gone by and we weren’t happy. It seemed to us we were just a nuisance and nobody seemed to be bothered. I eventually caught the eye of one of the waitresses and she came over, oh have you picked your tea 4.05 p.m. no we haven’t as this is not the afternoon tea menu, sorry I’ll get you the menu and you can pick your tea. 5 minutes later we chose the tea and were told your afternoon tea (food) won’t be long. About another 15 minutes went by and the couple behind were given theirs, who by the way came in about 10-15 minutes after us. About 5 minutes later we were given ours. The presentation was lovely but we had a fruit scone and a cheese scone no accompaniment’s. We ate what we could then again had to ask the waitress for jam, cream and butter for the scones and also had to ask for clean plates and knives. The couple behind also had to ask for the same. We were extremely disappointed by the service we were given. This was the second time we’d been for afternoon tea and won’t be going back again. We got married at Matfen in 2015 and everything and everyone were brilliant. It seemed like the couples having afternoon tea were getting in the way as we weren’t even asked if everything was alright or anything. Sorry but we were really disappointed and won’t be having afternoon tea here ever again.

2  Thank Tracey D