All reviews afternoon tea high tea family friendly hotel half term main restaurant a la carte menu scones cream tea lovely grounds country house coach house steam room the main house old house great facilities relaxation room relaxed atmosphere
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had a Virgin Experience voucher to use before it expired and found the hotel on their website.

The accommodation was very good - nice sized room and enormous bathroom. The room facilities (tea and coffee etc.) were good too.

The evening meal we had was very good and the cooked breakfast the next day was freshly cooked and hot - such a refreshing change from the help-yourself buffet breakfasts that hotels seem to offer these days. The staff were very attentive and pleasant.

The facilities in the Spa were very good and the treatments we had also good and enjoyable.

Would certainly recommend.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 477neilg
Reviewed 20 October 2018

A one night stay with dinner. As a treat, we regularly enjoy one or two night stays at different establishments around the County and, indeed, the country.

I was disappointed to read, here, of previous dissatisfaction of the food and service.

We thought that the meal taste and style thereof was truly excellent but, one has to realise that food style preferences and expectations can vary greatly between us guests.. (!!).

One suggestion is that we would have liked some kind of amuse-bouche and/or maybe chef-made chocolates with the coffee?. This seems to be the norm elsewhere these days [& not an expensive thing to provide]. It just gives the whole experience that little extra ??.

The only other food comment was the lack of any pudding wine [having been initially told there was some] - but we accepted their apology that this was due to a non-delivery this week?

The service also, we felt very good although occasionally it was difficult to find someone straight away but then, they were also busy preparing for a Wedding the following morning. Not really a problem.

Overall very good indeed and most certainly worth going again.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

I met some friends for a midweek lunch in the spa restaurant, the service was poor, I don’t blame the waitress I blame the lack of Training so obviously missing.
The food was basic but ok, one of us wanted a starter but main course size, we were told it came in a small bowl and a larger portion wouldn’t fit in it!!! I ordered a sandwich and the bread was not fresh. My biggest complaint is the £9.00 charge for a wine spritzer we ordered 3 and were shocked at the charge, I questioned it with the poorly trained waitress and she shrugged her shoulders and told me that’s what they cost.
Disappointing to say the least.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank melissam739
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2018

Dear Melissa M,

Thank you for writing your review after having lunch in the Garden Cafe.

In answer to your biggest complaint, the spritzer would have been the charge for the full measure of wine and the addition of the fever tree soda water. I would like to apologise that you did not enjoy the lunch, and would be grateful if you could contact me at the hotel to discuss in more detail.

With best wishes,

Martin

Martin Page

Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

My partner and I decided on the Elms for a over night spa break before our baby arrives in a few weeks. We have a 10 month old baby at home so chose the Elms as it states how relaxing and peaceful if is and is a much smaller hotel than many so thought would be perfect for a relaxing break and catch up on our sleep ending with a cheeky lie in!

Arriving at the Elms was clear some sort of event was happening as the entrance covered in a big marquee with circus props and workmen .... when shown to our room we asked what was happening and was informed the owners daughter was having a 21st birthday party the following day and having exclusive use of hotel, I do feel this should of been mentioned when booking as our room was right next to the tent so we arrived to lots of noise ( banging etc ) so we decided to head to the spa for a few hours which was lovely!

We came back to our room about 9pm and it was still very noisy, we put the telly on but it was still every loud we could hear it even over the tv. This went on until about 11.30pm!

We decided on breakfast in bed for a treat and booked the latest time (9.45am) as hoping for a rare lie in! However , I was woken up around 7.30am by banging , drilling and music ! We couldn’t get back to sleep with the noise so ended up waiting around for breakfast!

I feel any other weekend it could of been a really lovely relaxing break just like what we were hoping for but it was very disappointing. We should of been pre notified that there was an event that weekend and would cause some distruption, we would of then booked somewhere else or chosen a different weekend.

We did have cream tea booked in the hotel but was asked to have it in the spa as hotel would be closed for guests on the Saturday due to party.

I’m check out I mentioned to the lady about the noise and lack of sleep and she apologised giving me and email address to write too. However was given the wrong email address , I found the right one so emailed that. Was told our complaint has been passed to management and would reply ‘right away’ however nearly two weeks have passed and we have not heard anything.

We would have gone back and given the Elms another chance as the spa and grounds really are beautiful but the fact the customer service since has been so poor has put me off.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank loucooper1909

Dear Loucooper1906,

Thank you for writing your review after recently staying at the Elms. Although you enjoyed the spa and the cream tea, I would like to apologise that you were disturbed by the set up of the event on the Saturday. May I also apologise that you did not receive a response to your email, I would be grateful if you could forward it to me directly so that I can be of assistance. ( martin.page@theelmshotel.co.uk )

With best wishes,

Martin

Martin Page

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

Although I stayed at The Elms for just one night, it was a very pleasant and enjoyable stay. From the moment I arrived the staff were extremely helpful; in fact the manager himself came out to help me with my luggage as he could see that due to my disability, I was struggling.
I had an accessible room which was clean and very comfortable and equipped with the usual tea and coffee, telephone, safe etc. The only problem I had with the room was that it was quite a long way from reception and therefore the walk for me was very painful.
I chose to dine in the restaurant that evening. After having had such good service at reception however, I found the service here quite different. I had to wait for several minutes to be seated although there were not many people in the restaurant and the subsequent service was very slow. I was asked if I would like water, but they poured it into a small wineglass and only half filled it. In fact, they served it as though it was wine, whereas I thought it would have been more appropriate to have used a larger glass or leave a bottle or jug on the table.
The choice of food was interesting, but I feel that the hotel is in a 1980’s time warp, still serving Nouveau Cuisine; basically a couple of mouthfuls of a picture on a plate. What I ate was enjoyable, but I have had better. I also felt that the restaurant was over priced. They charged a standard £45 for three small courses, plus VAT plus 12.5% service charge. I had stayed a couple of weeks before at Stanbrook Abbey and The Bank House hotel in Worcester. Both are comparable hotels but their prices were much cheaper.
On the whole, albeit a short stay, my time at The Elms was enjoyable and relaxing.

Date of stay: September 2018