“Speak friend and walk in”
Review of Sala Silvergruva

Sala Silvergruva
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Sala
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

I've been on two of the tours in these mines, not sure what they are called but one of them was all the way down with elevator and one was halfway down by foot.
I really preferred the halfway one! More of a challenge, and alot more exiting paths with shafts going overhead and underfoot. The guide was good, and apart from getting a little bit stuck on the way up it was a flawless experience!
The deeper tour is alot easier, no climbing stairs or slippery floors, but also not as fun for me. You get to visit the hotel room way down below, and look up the big shaft.
Both were good, but if you're able to then take the halfway one!

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Thanks for reviewing and grading us!

The halfway guided tour you went on is probably the "Stigaren" tour. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed it! And I agree with your: this tour is a bit more challenging yet exciting and interesting.

We have worked a lot with shaping the tours to have something to offer everyone. Hence we do have a variety of guided tours - underground as well as above ground. From the Konstknekten tour - a glimpse of a silver mine - to the Great Mine Tour - a four hour experience including a soup dinner underground. And of course some special tours now and then, too, such as the one-hour tour Bergenstierna Christmas Special to be combined with the Swedish Christmas Dinner Buffet served in our restaurant in November and December.

I do hope we meet again soon. Welcome back!

All reviews
"possibility"
"paths"
"environment"

Reviewed 14 September 2017

The Sala silver mine is an exhiting sight that gives you an insite in mining in older times. There is several diferent mine tours that one can choose between from a Childrens tour of 35 minutes to a 4 hour tour with dinner down underground, as Deep down as 155 meters. We chose a one hour tour down to 60 meters depth. It was really interesting and we had a great guide. The one hour tour was very suitable for us because we had Children with us (age 8, 10, 12 and 14).

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Thank you so much for this great revew,

I couldn't have described the activities better myself! And I am really glad to hear you had a really interesting visit underground in the mine. We always try our best to be able to offer suitable guided tours and activities to our visitors.

Especially for children I can recommend the "Little Adventure for Kids", which you mention as well. That tour is given next time during the Halloween Break, Oct 28 - Nov 5 along with the brand new tour "Gruvfrun" (in English: "The Mine Lady"), to mention some of the exiting activities offered druing that week. Hope to see you soon again and welcome back!

Fobbe, Sala Silvermine

Reviewed 20 August 2017

I grew up not far away from Sala but for a variety of reasons I hadn't visited Sala Silvergruva until now. And, wow, had I missed something. I had scheduled the Bergmästaren tour which is two hours long and takes you down 155 meters below ground. I was very lucky as I was the only person on that particular tour (high season is over). Instead of cancelling or rescheduling me to another tour I got to take the tour alone with the guide. I would like to thank the Sala Silvergruva staff for this - it gave me a extraordinary experience. The mine can be a truly magical place, especially when it's quiet and you can only hear the sounds from the earth itself. I can only imagine the sound experience wouldn't have been quite this great with a large group of people (some advice to the marketing people they could sell such luxury tours). The guide sang some old mining hymns. With the sounds echoing off the walls in one of the larger rooms it was just beautiful! The tour took us through many tunnels, rooms, and shafts. The guide told an interesting history about the mine, the people who worked in it, and the kings they worked for. All in all it was great!

At the end I spent some time in the museum. Although interesting I think it could be expanded and modernized a bit. The gift shop was pretty small too - or maybe I'm getting used to the ones in the US that are full with mugs, fridge magnets and the like.

Finally, a shout-out to the guide Sofia. You were fantastic!

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

Thanks for this great review, Martin!

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. And that you share the experience with us. I can only agree with you on your description of the Bergmästaren tour. And about the luxury tours: we are open for several solutions in this field, such as "rent a guide for a day" when possible. And of course we should not forget the possibility to stay the night underground in the "World's Deepest Hotel Room", the Mine Suite at 155 meters. In that package a private tour is included for those who wish.

About the mining museum discussions have taken place for some time about the issues you mention. We will continue to work for a development there.

When we meet here next time I can recommend the Great Mine Tour, which is a 4-hour tour underground where you get to see most of the mine at once - and heat up with a fresh soup lunch underground in the middle of the tour.

I will make sure that Sofia will get to read this review.

Thanks again and welcome back!

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed going down in the mines. The guides are really friendly and fun, and you will learn really interesting things. I would have liked more things about the life of the miners, the equipment, their dwelling and so on, and I was disappointed that the small museum is only in swedish, but still a great visit.

Thanks for your great review!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the your visit with us. And thanks for telling us what information you wanted to hear more of. I am not sure which tour you joined, but the focus may vary on the different kinds of tours. On the tour "Gruvdrängen" is focused on the miners and their hard lives and work in particular. On the other hand that tour is most often given in Swedish only. I take note of your advise and pass it on to those responsible for the tours.

About the mining museum this issue has been discussed for some time. Until we have decided upon how to present the musem exhibitions in various languages in the best way, we offer booklets in English and German which are free to use while visiting the museum. In those you have most of the all-year-around exhibition translated into those languages. But, as said, we are aware of this issue and we are working on it.

Thanks again for your great review. Hope to see you soon again with us. Welcome back!

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

I went on the "gruvdrängen" tour with my girlfriend and it was excellent. You got to explore down to 60m below surface. It got really cold, so bring clothes enough to enjoy 2h under ground. The guide was knowledgeable and knew a lot of interesting facts. Ask about Oscar the second if you get the possibility!

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Thanks for grading and reviewing us, Mikael!

The "Gruvdrängen" tour is an experience where we focus on the miners and tell their story to the mine visitor. I am happy to hear you had such a great experience underground and that you were pleased with the tour guide.

The cold temperature in the mine can be tough, sometimes. We also have 1-hour tours performed on different floors in the mine. One is the "Konstknekten" where you get "a glimpse" of the mine and get to visit the World's Deepest Suite. Another is the "Gruvstigaren" tour where learn as much as possible about the mine in an hour. And not to forget: during the summer season we also offer the 90-minute English/German special tours "Bergenstierna" and "Lillienberg".

Hope to see you soon again with us. Welcome back!