Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Fantastic views and excellent guides

Went on the long 4 hour tour with lunch. The guide was really good and knowledgable and answered... read more

Reviewed 11 July 2018
Spaedtke
Stockholm, Sweden
via mobile
Amazing experience

I joined the tour "In the footsteps of miners" and was so lucky to be the only one there... read more

Reviewed 3 March 2018
GabiZ111
Vienna, Austria

All reviews hour tour small museum great guide hotel room great visit interesting facts under ground bring a sweater meters life songs mines sights elevator possibility paths environment
Reviewed 8 March 2017

Myself and my wife visited Sala Silvermines when we were in Sweden in August 2016. We were met by a local guide, Caroline, that was going to take us down, 60 m, in to the mines. Caroline was very knowledgeable on the subject and spoke flawless English, to the delight of my wife, who doesn't speak any Swedish. We were taken down windy stairs to different levels of the mine. One of the first levels we got to we saw a huge hollowed out cavern. Caroline pointed out a small rock at the bottom and claimed that it was as big as a car. My usual skepticism prevented me for taking her word for it. But as we descended further in to the mines and reached additional levels, we got to get closer and closer to the rock. By the time we were at the bottom level, the rock was truly as huge as a car. The tunnels that we walked through were damp, and in places we had to walk through water. We were told that the pumps ensured that the mines remained free of water. Caroline also gave us the entire historical background to the mines, which was very interesting. At the end of the tour, we got a lift up to the surface. It felt a bit strange when we walked out of the lift and we found ourselves far away from where we had started the tour.
I can recommend this to anyone that wants to experience an adventure underground. There is also a room which you can rent to stay overnight in. We didn't try this, but it did sound interesting. If you bring children, make sure that they have waterproof footwear on, perhaps not wellies, as it can get pretty slippery on the paths and steps.

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2017

Thank you so much for this wonderful review!

I am really glad to hear of your great experience in the Sala Silvermine. The perspectives underground in the mine are interesting, such as distance, volume and size. Often it can be quite hard to get a grip of the true sizes of the great cavities and the skilled tour guides always do their best to explain and compare in various pedagogic ways.

Hope to see you with us soon again on one of our four NEW TOURS, starting in April and in May. Welcome back!

Regards
Andreas Vollmer
Sala Silvermine

PS. I will make sure that Caroline gets to read this review, as well.

Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

I went to the mine and took the Great Mining Tour, the longest one of the three available options which covers the levels at 60 meters and 155 meters deep and lasts for three hours. The mine ir really impressive and the guide was very friendly and showed profound knowledge of the mine leaving no question unanswered.

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2017

Thanks for your great review, Eder!

I am happy to hear you had a great experience in the mine. The Great Mine Tour is a good option when you want to know and see the most of the Sala Silvermine. The guides really love what they do and I guess that shows during the mining tours.

From April we will upgrade the Great Mine Tour to a four-hour tour, including a soup meal underground. Hope to see you here again soon. Welcome back!

Andreas Vollmer

Reviewed 26 January 2017

Ever wanted to stroll around 150 meters below ground in a silvermine which dates back to the middleages ? If the answer is yes, this is the place to go. This is not for those who find it scary to be underground in narrow spaces, total darkness and dead silence. Without the excellent guide you would be lost in the windling corridors that cuts through the rock, carved by patient miners without modern tools.

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2017

Dear Jonas,

thanks for your great review of your visit at the Sala Silvermine! You are probalby right about the underground environment: it can sometimes be scary for some people. Luckily for them we have much to offer above ground, as well. Hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

We had an extraordinary experience at the mine, 155m down. The tour was excellent and the tour guide exceptional. The feeling that you get is magical down there and the scene is really cinematic. Highly recommended!!!

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2017

Dear Vassilis, thanks for this great review!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit in the mine The tour guides with us really like what they do and they have a special place in their hearts reserved for the mine, which is something you offen notice on the guided tours. And I can agree with you: the mine is really a magical place, stuffed with ancient history. Thanks once again for the great review and welcome back another time in the future!

Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend took me to visit at a very quiet time of year. We were lucky enough to be in a group of only five with our attentive tour guide. He was more than happy to translate to English also. Superb singing voice that echoed around the caves,sent shivers down my spine! Very cold down there,take extra layers. The 150m tour was beautiful,interesting,and enlightening. Would love to go back,and maybe stay in the suite overnight! Thank you for a lovely tour,highlight of my trip!

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2016

Thanks so much for this great review!

I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful underground experience in the Sala Silvermine. The winter season is not as busy as the busy summer season. But we are also happy to note that there is an increasing number of mine visitors in winter. Looking forward to seeing you here again soon.

Regards