“Lunch out”

Meadow Croft
Ranked #5 of 57 Restaurants in Wickford
Price range: US$ 4 - US$ 13
Cuisines: British
Description: Grab a bite to eat in our 100 seater restaurant and relax in wonderful surroundings. All of our meals are home-made on the premises and cooked to order, using the freshest ingredients. Our eggs are free-range, all of our meat is procured from local butchers and our vegetables are from our local farm shop. We offer a range of gluten-free meals, and if you can't find anything that tickles your fancy from our menu - we'll happily make you something else. Our restaurant is air-conditioned in the summer months and we have two patio seating areas to choose from. The patio, just outside the glass doors and our ornamental garden by the pond and children's play area. During cooler months there are heaters and blankets on the patio chairs too, which are nestled under the arches - out of the way of any inclement weather. Breakfast is erved until 11am - Every day we serve hearty Full English breakfasts, vegetarian breakfasts & omelettes. We also have a daily breakfast specials board. Naughty but Nice - We serve a great selection Tiptree Patisserie cakes, as well as home-made cakes, scones and bread pudding. Great to enjoy any time and served all day. Our selection changes daily. Lunch is served daily until 3pm - From light-bites such as soups salads, panini's and sandwiches, to full meals including home-made pies, and more. There really is something for everyone on our lunch menu. Not forgetting our daily specials board, Sunday roasts and gluten-free options. Drinks - A range of alcoholic drinks. Soft drinks, teas and speciality teas and a great selection of freshly prepared Paddy & Scott's Coffees. We have a children's menu, which includes hot meals. We are also happy to make smaller portions of anything on our main menu. Afternoon Tea for Two is served Monday - Friday from 2.30pm - 4.00pm. Afternoon tea is available daily. We require just 24 hours' notice to prepare your delicious afternoon tea. which includes an assortment of finely cut finger sandwiches, a selection of mouth-watering Patisserie-made cakes, freshly-baked scones with Tiptree preserve and thick, clotted cream and your choice of any tea or coffee. You can also add a touch of fizz for special occasions. Special Events & Coach Parties - We can cater for group events with our 'Grand Afternoon Tea Buffets.' For up to 100 guests. From Monday - Friday from 3pm onwards for special events and group bookings. Coach parties are welcome, although please phone in advance to notify us of large groups. We are 1/4 of a mile from the Rettendon Turnpike (Just of the A130) and very close to the A127 and the A13.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Whilst the food here is good the service was not. Waited 15 minutes in the queue to order lunch. There was no apology for the wait for anyone I saw being served. I queried if the wait was always this long and was told it depended on how busy it was. Lunchtime on a Friday in the school holidays is going to be busy and I would expect the place to be staffed to reflect this.

I queried if there was onion in the coleslaw and was told there was. I therefore asked for it to be left off my meal. I also asked for no onion on my salad. The lady serving me didn't write this down and when I queried this said she didn't think there was onion on it. This isn't good enough if you have allergies and seemed miffed I asked for this to be passed onto the kitchen (it was noticeable causing the lady next to me to joke that I hadn't made a friend)

Part of the problem seemed to be the slowest coffee machine and it took 5 minutes to take my order and make a tea and a cappuccino.

Not sure I'll be visiting again.

Michael S, Public Relations Manager at Meadow Croft, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Hi Linda H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review, we always appreciate the feedback. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your food and I hope that the fact we were busy won't put you off for future visits.

We are in the process of recruiting and training new members of staff for the restaurant and there was some training being undertaken by a new member of staff on Friday so thank you for your patience, we appreciate that being a team member down is a tough call on a busy day. We only ever put onion in our coleslaw and it never features in our salad garnish, so I suspect the two things put together were the reasons the information may not have come across as clearly as it could have. Please accept my apologies for this.

Our coffee machine is supplied by our coffee maker, Paddy & Scott's Coffee of Suffolk and the machine freshly grinds the beans for each artisan coffee that is made by us (have a listen next time you pop in, it's the grinding noise in the background!) and each drink is made from two shots, which are brewed at a slightly slower pace (20 to 30 seconds) so that it doesn't scorch the taste of the coffee as it comes through. We've looked at other coffee machines, but Paddy and Scott's is the smoothest we've ever tasted and it's been a massive hit in our restaurant for years so I hope you continue to enjoy our coffees.

Our teams are working very hard to put some extra methods in place for when we are busy and there is a queue.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We've eaten a few times in Meadow Croft's restaurant/coffee shop, and it's always been good quality, well cooked “garden centre style” food. Prices are “sensible” for what's on offer.

My only minus point is that sometimes, the service can be slow. To clarify, not the time from ordering a meal to it arriving, that's fine; but the delays at the counter, caused by taking orders, and specifically making coffees. They appear to have identical coffee machines to any major coffee chain, yet seem to take twice as long. Not sure exactly why - but maybe it's because they do one at a time, whereas most coffee shops use the capacity of the machines to make several coffees “at once” !

Not the restaurant as such, but the actual garden centre is excellent, with a great range of (mostly) home grown plants.

Hi Stu151,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review, we always appreciate the feedback. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your food and the plant selection too.

Our coffee machine is not quite like others and here's why - it's supplied by our coffee maker, Paddy & Scott's Coffee of Suffolk and the machine freshly grinds the beans for each artisan coffee that is made by us (have a listen next time you pop in, it's the grinding noise in the background!) and each drink is made from two shots, which are brewed at a slightly slower pace (20 to 30 seconds) so that it doesn't scorch the taste of the coffee as it comes through (from a barista's point of view this is the really important bit). I've even tested this theory myself with a cafetiere and boiling hot water compared with water that has had chance to go off the boil slightly - and I can confirm it does taste smoother if it's not red-hot boiling water!

We hope to see you again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I popped in for a breakfast and had Eggs Benedict. The sauce is made in-house and was delicious. Service was very friendly in the restaurant and throughout the whole centre. We would highly recommend a visit even if it’s just to see the wonderful array of plants they have which are grown on the nursery. Just about all their plants are grown in England and most are grown in Battlesbridge itself. Lovely family run business.

Dear Visitor

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review, we really appreciate it.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed the whole experience of our Garden Centre.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Visited for the first time yesterday lunchtime and will definitely go again. The food was delicious, we had the quiche which was light, fluffy and full of flavour, served with new potatoes, coleslaw and salad. The restaurant was busy so there was a queue with only two people taking orders but, once ordered, the food was delivered fairly quickly so we were eating within about 25 minutes of arrival. Everywhere was clean and bright and the extra touches for Easter were very pleasant. The cakes looked delicious, too, but we didn't have room to try them. We definitely appreciated the free primrose (Easter weekend only) for every £10 spent. Just a couple of small criticisms, which are the reason I didn't give an "excellent" rating: a) I felt the generous portions were let down by the salad containing one half of a cherry tomato and one slice of cucumber ... really?? Surely the budget is not so tight that you can't manage to give a whole tomato? And two or three slices of cucumber? b) I found the hot chocolate to be excessively sweet and not particularly chocolatey, the quality of that was disappointing and not up to the rest of the food.

Dear HEB19

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review, we always appreciate feedback.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your first visit with us and I would definitely recommend leaving some room for our homemade cake selection on your next visit!

I’m glad you enjoyed our quiche, it’s a very popular dish and I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your seasonal salad garnish. Our salads are freshly prepared ready for use each day and the majority of ingredients can vary depending on the season (for instance, today we have cabbage, carrot and pepper with tomato), therefore no two servings are the same.

Our Cadbury’s hot chocolates are made to order with fresh milk and are a popular choice but we do monitor all customer feedback carefully and take action where appropriate, so thank you for sharing with us.

I hope I have managed to answer all your points and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Myself and my husband had lunch on quite a busy afternoon, but the wait was worth it, coffees were the best we have had in a long while and food was exceptional, we will definitely be returning.

Dear Denise D

It was so nice to hear that you enjoyed your lunch with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.