All reviews baltic sea bad doberan an upgrade gourmet restaurant beautiful setting euro night booked a junior suite great facilities old school kids club breakfast buffet steam train spa building turn down service eggs benedict highest standard luggage transfer
Reviewed 18 November 2018 via mobile

Absolutely stunning hotel! Rooms are fit for royalty indeed with each having a receiving area complete with amenities you never imagined from a hotel. High ceiling, heated bathroom floors, with excellent lighting. You can spend the day in your hotel room without feeling bored. Daily newspapers, best coffee making machine, with all small appliances neatly hidden from your view too leaving you with just crisp and inviting bed to snuglle in and relax! Worth every penny you pay for! Did I mention that the restaurants also serve only the most exquisite selection of wine and food? This place is undoubtedly the best ever hotel I have been to in Europe! A must stay in!

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2018

We felt like we were an imposition. With the exception of the people serving breakfast, the staff gave us the impression that they would prefer that we leave them alone or, even better, were not there. Maybe they are tired from the long summer season, but the service was far below what one would expect from a four or five star property.

There were 3-4 small instances, but the coup de gras was that we had to switch rooms (from 1106) at 10:30pm due to the electro music in the bar (thump, thump, thump). This was a Saturday night, and presumably someone could have mentioned at check in that there would be electro music directly below our room until midnight. Had we been so informed, we would have elected not to spend 500€ for the privilege of moving rooms.

When we moved, our old keys were invalidated even though we still had items in the original room. We asked that new keys be delivered to our new room no later than 7:00 am on Sunday. Not surprisingly, this did not happen, and it took two calls on Sunday morning to get a key so we could get our luggage and depart.

At check out, I explained these circumstance and that I was disappointed, particularly given the cost of the room. The response I got was, "I am sorry to hear about that." That was it - no further apology, and no offer of a rate reduction, or of a future discounted room or even an explanation of how the hotel would sell a room knowing that it would be basically unusable from 9:00 pm to midnight.

Not to be totally negative, the property itself is beautiful, and Sunday morning breakfast on the terrace with a view of the sea was a highlight of our trip along the north German coast.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Top hotel with very beautiful surrounding. We went during the summer holiday so there were a lot of children hence a little noisy. Excellent selection of food for breakfast, the Nelson Bar is nice but not the best cocktails I have tried. Everyone’s generally polite and friendly except one guy who works as the hotel parking attendant. He must be the most grumpy and rude man working there. I was not particularly happy with the housekeeping service where toiletries were not replenished daily. You literally have to use everything to the last drop for them to give you new ones. For a room that is almost 300 euros a night, I expected them to be a little more generous!!!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank awesomeami
Reviewed 4 September 2018

We just spent a few days at the hotel and were impressed by how easy it is for families. Our daughter absolutely loved the gorgeous kids club and the pool area, and children are made to feel extremely welcome everywhere. Large lawn area at the front of the breakfast terrace where children can run and play while parents relax.

We stayed in room No. 5010, and were very happy. Clean, very comfortable and fresh looking with separate living area, and private seating area on the terrace outside. Our daughter wanted to sleep beside us and there was enough room in the bedroom to have the rolling kids-bed placed beside our bed.

Food is pretty good. Would prefer more healthy/gluten-free options on the menu, but if you ask they can make a large plate of vegetables/quinoa etc on the side. They have oat milk, most of the ingredients are organic, and the salmon on the menu was wild - definitely all in the right direction. Sushi bar was also good for a non-Japanese run place. And, of course, they have a great selection for little people and their own little kid's breakfast bar.

The fact that it's on the beach with the option for windsurfing, biking and coastal walking, directly from the grounds, made it especially perfect for us. Also loved the little steam train that stops at the hotel and travels to other sweet little neighbourhoods along the coast - it is so perfect for families with young children.

There are kids-free times in the pool which is nice, and yoga and other exercise classes every day, plus some great evening events like Opera and beach parties. I was impressed by the spa too, and the range of treatments available, even offering treatments for children - our daughter loved this. And we paid for swimming lessons for our daughter and were super impressed with the instructor.

Not many negatives apart from the fact that there had been a miscommunication and I had non-allergy bedlinen when we arrived. I started wheezing and realised there were goose-down pillows on the bed. I called to get anti-allergy bedlinen sent, and there was none available in the entire hotel. I spent a very wheezy night in the room before they managed to find anti-allergy bedding in the morning, and in fairness, they cleaned the entire room so well - even washed the curtains for me. My allergy completely disappeared after they had finished and the rest of the stay was great.

We found the price/value fair and we will definitely return.

Room tip: 5010 was a great room for a small family
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Location is outstanding, nice landscape, on the beach, well kept park.

Hotel has a nice lobby, different buildings,different kinds of rooms which are on the classic side. Housekeeping is ok, with turn down service.

Breakfast is in a large, noisy and crowded room.... service not always ok, quality and choice of food is ok but nothing special.

Parking is complicated and expensive, (even valet parking is outside parking where birds "decorate" your car!)

Wellness!?????? and swimming pool are more like a kind of "mini-baby-children"-club where you cannot relax as adults! Noisy and spoiled brat rules here :((( and no one cares for the quiet seeking adults paying a lot of money for their stay which is supposed to be relax!!

Not much to do around Heiligendamm, you absolutely need a car to drive around.

Maybe play a round of golf in the Wittenbeck GC (links course with nice views).

Highlight of the Grandhotel Heiligendamm is the excellent gourmet restaurant Friedrich Franz, which I recommend.

The Grandhotel is not to be recommended for a relax holiday for couples.... as noisy and spoiled children own this place :((((

Date of stay: May 2018