“Traditional Delish Greek ”
Review of Alpha Ouzeri

Alpha Ouzeri
Ranked #37 of 336 Restaurants in Fitzroy
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 43
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzroy
Description: In the heart of Fitzroy in Brunswick street, Alpha Ouzeri stands out as a contemporary Greek restaurant in a laid back and friendly setting. Our welcoming family run business will ensure your dining experience will be second to none combining a feast for the senses, knowledgeable staff and a relaxing atmosphere. We cater to small and large group bookings and have a fully refurbished function room upstairs. Our style of cuisine is contemporary Greek style with an extensive tapas style menu enabling our dinners to experience a range of flavours and styles. We also have a selection of ouzos your guaranteed to enjoy an entertaining meal out.
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

We dined here on a Saturday night with family including a bub and a vegetarian.
When we initially arrived one of the wait staff seemed a bit thrown by a vegetarian attending and trying to make it work with the banquet menu but we got there in the end!

We (meat eaters) ordered the COLOSSUS set menu and were not disappointed. Delicious Greek classics done to perfection. Our vegetarian diner ordered an assortment of dishes to come out at the same time as the set menu dishes and was also happy with her selection.

We didn't leave feeling overfull like you sometimes can after a banquet but we were happy.

Date of visit: June 2017
Alex C, Manager at Alpha Ouzeri, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2017

Thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant! So pleased to hear everyone enjoyed their meal ~ especially your vegetarian friend! I hope you'll revisit again in future - Thanks!

Reviewed 31 May 2017

Visited Alpha Ouzeri with a friend but left disappointed. One of us was vegetarian and one a meat lover.

Our meal was shared and consisted of:
Entrée

BOUYOURDI - Mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers and onions topped with kasseri and feta cheese and chillies baked in a ceramic pot (about the size of saucer plate- small)

Zucchini chips

Main

ANAMIKTO SOUVLAKI - Consisted of 4 tiny skewers of 2 chicken and 2 lamb ($33.00)
Outrageously priced and there was only enough for one person

Dessert : Baklava with walnuts (Yum)

1 glass of wine each

The total cost of the meal was $124.00 but $50.00 was what it was worth.

The only saving grace at that restaurant was the waiter (I think his name was Stavros - but he was very attentive and fun)

1  Thank MyTravelUtopia
Alex C, Owner at Alpha Ouzeri, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Thank you for your review and sorry for leaving disappointed. According to our tax invoice and our waiter Spiros who was serving you on the night the value of your food was $107.00 and 2 glasses of wine $17 total $124.00.
You ordered on the night forgetting to add some items on the review:
Mixed dip platter with freshly made bread $19
Bouyourdi: $17
Zucchini chips: $14
Anamikto souvlaki for one: $33
Baclava ice cream: $14
And also a Baclava:$10
2 glasses of wine: $17
As you said you ordered entrees and the 1 main you did order was for 1 person.
You mention in your review that the cost is $50 but in fairness the cost just to buy the products is more than $50.
Once again sorry we didn't meet your standard of quantity

Reviewed 28 May 2017

My husband and I dined here 27th January and we returned May 20th with our two daughters. We were disappointed to note some basic menu items had changed or been replaced. For example they used to have nice warm pieces of pita bread served with the dips now they have a dense bread which was not warm, I questioned it and they said if I want pita I have to pay for it separately as they make the bread in house now. Ok.
Then we asked for loukaniko which is the grilled Greek sausage to come out with the entrees but they have completely removed this and no longer serve it. :( every other Greek restaurant has this item.
The seafood was not seasoned. The meat was tasty though. The zucchini patties felt as though they had been microwaved, I know because I have it often, it was barely cooked on the inside (almost still a batter consistency) but piping hot. Not very nice and not at all seasoned. :(
The baklava ice cream was the best thing we had on the night.
I must say that our waitress Maria offered exceptional service, always gracious, smiling and friendly. Wow, every wait staff every where should be like her!
I don't think we will be returning any time soon (it cost $350 for 4 of us, inc. 2 wines and 2 beers) so we are again on the hunt for good Greek food!

Alex C, Owner at Alpha Ouzeri, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Thanks Chocbaby for your review and sorry we didn't meet your expectations. Our menu has had changes and always has. Our qualified chefs like to review the menu and like to make changes. One of our changes now at alpha Ouzeri is that we now have hand made fresh bread everyday and our regular customers are loving it.
We still do have the warm pita bread sold separately.
The loukaniko you are referring to that is off the menu is put on our specials every so often. Unfortunately the week you chose to come and dine with us it wasn't on our specials. Sorry.
The seafood is seasoned by our chefs, we also do provide salt and pepper on every table if anyone requires more for their liking.
The zucchini patties are deep fried not microwaved. If you felt that they were a batter consistency if you had of told your wait staff we would have gladly got you another.
I'm glad to hear that the meat was tasty and you enjoyed the baclava ice cream .
Maria is a fantastic waitress and is much valued in Alpha Ouzeri.
As for the price
Food purchased: $268.00 for a set menu for 4 people and also 2 extra entrees and
Beverages purchased: $74.00 for
2 sparkling water, 4 glasses of wine and 2 lemon lime bitters.
I'm sorry that you are on a hunt again for greek restaurant.

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

First time trying Greek food - I visited Alpha Ouzeri last night with some friends, and although the kitchen was closing shortly after we arrived, we were made welcome & the chefs cooked our meal to perfection! We shared a Classico between four - heaps of food, and the quality was fantastic.

Usually, when I tell staff I'm gluten-free and lactose-intolerant, it's met with a polite smile but an air of exasperation. Not this time! Not only did the staff advise me which parts of the meal I needed to avoid, but they even altered the food to allow me to have it! Instead of battered squid, this was grilled to allow me to have some, and the feta was put on the side of the salad. When desserts came, I had made my peace with not being able to have any - oh no, I was brought honeyed figs which were delicious!!

I felt so, so welcome, and not at all like an inconvenience. Overall, an amazing experience, and excellent quality meal. 10/10 would recommend, and would definitely go back. Thank you so much for making my evening so lovely! I left so happy.

Alex C, Manager at Alpha Ouzeri, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Thanks Laura for taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm very proud of our staff in handling such a request, as no one should be left out in experiencing Greek cuisine! We do really appreciate the kind words & I'm very grateful that your experience was such a positive one. I hope we'll see you again in future, thanks!

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

Great food. Great environment. We appreciated the honesty of staff when we ordered the banquet and it has a 4 person minimum and we're advised upfront of the difference in cost fir 3 people. Fair and reasonably priced. The food is plentiful and of great quality.
Do not leave without having the baclava ice cream. Just be sure to leave some room for it

Date of visit: April 2017
Alex C, Manager at Alpha Ouzeri, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2017

Thanks Christine for taking the time to review us! Great to hear your experience was memorable & couldn't agree more about the baclava ice-cream ;) Thanks!