“Excellent Value”

Racket Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Roscrea
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Found Racket Hall on one of the internet deals on offer. It was a 1 night B+B with a steak meal and bottle of wine with chocs in the bedroom. So I bought 3 of them and went for 3 nights in a row over the valentines just gone. Sunday to Wednesday. Really enjoyed it and like other hotels, is feeling the pinch of the recession. However the staff were excellent and helpful and our meals were excellent and well presented. Valentines night brought in a bigger crowd than the two nights before, but that would be expected as Im sure the Hotel did a valentines package.
We walked into the town a couple of times and it was a lovely walk. We also paid a village to the spa treatment next door which my other half thought was excellent. Overall a lovely break and the only thing missing was a swimming pool but then we knew in advance there was none on site and there was a big centre with a pool on the way into Roscrea town. We will definitely go back again, well done to all.

Room Tip: Missed the music which is at the weekends so the room we got nearly over the entrance was lovely and...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chippie23
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Racket Hall Country House Hotel

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Having stayed in this hotel before, we decided to return again, and stayed on valentines day.
Our deal included chocolate and wine in our room and a 3 course steak dinner.

Room was nice as always, and as usual the huge bed was so comfortable.Complimentary toiletries a nice touch and an ironing board in the room is very handy.

Roscrea itself is a small slightly quaint town about a mile away from the hotel, not too many shops tho if thats your thing.

On to dinner - restaurant was quite busy possibly because it was valentines night, but the tables were well spaced out and had a single red rose on each.

Despite it being busy the food was fantastic - perfectly cooked steak with chips and onion rings, and mouthwatering desserts. Service was quick and efficient too.Very happy with our meal.

Breakfast next morning was equally good. Last time we stayed i was not too impressed with the seating arrangements for breakfast as it was in the middle of the large bar area. This time however the seating was much better, in a seperate area. Also since our last visit the choice has improved and now there are juices, croissants and cereals to chose from in addition to a cooked breakfast. Our vegetarian breakfast which includes some lovely sauteed potatoes
was served quickly and was piping hot.

We were offered a deal before we left to avail of the same package again within the next 6 months, at the same price, and i have to be honest and say its very possible we will do so as this hotel up to now has not let us down in any way.

Room Tip: The suites are lovely if you want a jacuzzi bath and more space.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank norfab
Reviewed 13 February 2012

just back from a wonderful stay with my family on a dealrush deal . soon as we arrived edward made us feel so welcome off down to are 3 double rooms and they were lovely big old world bedrooms huge kingsize beds and very clean with chocs and wine in each room . then went off to the bar and found the staff a delight the bar is a mix of the old manor house and a new building together which really worked well lovely paintings and lots of history to look at on the walls . we had our meal at 9pm that evening 7 of us and i have to say it was fab , the steak was cooked perfect to my husbands request , i had the salmon which was a delight , my daughter [a veggie ] had a salad which she really enjoyed . the starters were also lovely , big portions of everything on all 3 courses. then off down to the country dancing with a live band both my daughters 15 and 21 years old had a ball , they loved every minute of the old style dancing as did we it was so nice to have a change instead of a nightclub. all are group had a great night . then off to the late bar there was singing and good fun into the wee hours , breakfast was good and all the staff were lovey . all in all we will be back to this delightful hotel , well done to the G.M. who seemed to be there day and night helping out everywere around the hotel , good job racket hall hope to see you all every soon

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank honey045
Reviewed 5 February 2012

we arrived last night for an overnight stay but left in shock after our encounter with hotel management. When we opened our room door we were met with an unpleasant smell. The room was quite cold and we thought the bathroom was quite grubby looking. I rang reception asking for a second pillow for my bed and the assistant manager arrived with it very quickly. He turned up the radiator and told us the unpleasant smell in the room was due to the fact that the carpet had been wet. He was very helpful and pleasant. The bathroom was in fact a wet room, to accomadate guests wilth disabilities.As soon as I turned on the shower the water flowed rapidily across the floor towards the bedroom door. I just managed to throw down towels in time to prevent the water flowing into the bedroom. The shower gel/shamoo bottles had no pumps on them so one was unable to use them. I was quite irate and rang reception and complained. The manager came on the phone with quite a hostile tone and when I asked would he like to come and see the shower, he responded and I quote "WOULD YOU LIKE TO LEAVE THE HOTEL" unquote. He then came to the room and in the same hostile manner refused to acknowledge a problem with the shower and said it was the way I was using it. He said I was not turning the shower head towards the wall enough.To shower with the shower head turned as he insisted you would have to be very tiny. As regards the shower/shampoo bottle, he said he did not know why they were even there and that there was shampoo etc on the sink. I did not bother to inform him that the bottles were there to faciliate guests with disabilities and that if one had mobility difficulties it would be impossible to reach the shampoo etc on the sink. I asked him for his full name and his reply was I quote "MY NAME IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS" unquote.He was totally unreasonable and terribly rude. I did take photo's of the bathroom on my mobile but unfortunalely they are not clear enough to post. Needless I will not be returning to that hotel again. Also word of warning to guests the top of the shower seat is also loose.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank han54
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Lovely hotel...apart from one issue. I stayed here for one night. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The room was beautiful and very clean and I was delighted that there were pure cotton sheets on the bed. The bathroom was small but adequate. Plenty of towels and loo paper. There were complimentary toiletries on the bathroom for my use which was lovely.All areas were clean and fresh. There was complimentary tea and coffee, and a fridge too. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room warm and cosy. Nice heavy curtains kept the light out so I could sleep in next morning.
However, when I originally rang the hotel to make my booking and asked the person at reception if I could have my breakfast in my room. He assured me that I could. Therefore, I made my booking. On arrival I again asked about breakfast in my room and was told that at busy times, they do not do room service, but that I could however come down, get breakfast and bring it to my room. I was very disappointed with this as had I know, I would have stayed somewhere where I could have had breakfast brought to my room. I asked if they could make an exception for me. I offered to pay extra, but no, they couldn't.
On checking out, I again brought up the subject of breakfast in the room and the guy at reception told me that they no longer do it. I said that in their information booklet in the room, it stated that they do room service and breakfast in room. He said that the booket information should have been updated/changed as they no longer have enough staff to do room service, especially if they are busy.
I enjoyed my stay in this hotel and would recommend it to others. However if you like breakfast in bed.......bring a picnic! :)

Room Tip: My room was at the far end of the hotel, nice and quiet, but there was no music that night thankfull...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MagdaleneIreland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roscrea
17.1 km away
The Maltings
#2 of 3 in Birr
38.1 km away
The Horse & Jockey Hotel

Been to Racket Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK