“Good food and atmosphere.”
Review of Hermit of Redcoats

Hermit of Redcoats
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Hermit of Redcoats has undergone a complete refurbishment to return it to its original rustic country style. We aim to provide a traditional pub atmosphere with great ales, wines and a hearty menu. We pride ourselves on serving quintessentially British food; locally sourced recipes from our country's culinary history made exceptionally well. Our team of chefs are passionate and talented so come and visit our gorgeous pub and gardens to sample a true taste of English country life. We hope to see you soon.
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Have eaten there a few times and always good standard of food and friendly service. Recommended!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I actually never got to this pub to try it. I bought a voucher back in December for £25 to use by the 8th of Feb. I put the voucher away and had it in my mind it expired on the 18th. I got the voucher out realizing my mistake and tried to ring The Hermit from the 14th. I could get no answer until the 18th,even though I left a message on the answer phone they never got back to me. Finally getting through to a woman,she was adamant that she would not honour the voucher. I have twice accidentally just missed the date with two other pubs ,who have kindly honoured the voucher. The woman running this pub is incredibly short sighted. I eat out on a regular basis,and the idea of these vouchers is so people sample what the pub has to offer and return ,possibly many times.And if they enjoy their experience,tell their friends! She said she cannot do anything about it ,but of course she could,she just did not want to. I appreciate i missed my deadline ,but she could easily honour the voucher.I am £25 pounds out of pocket.As i said two other pubs had no such problem,and I have returned again paying full price ,so whose the loser ?

Reviewed 11 February 2012

We went for lunch today (me, my partner and our two children). The food was excellent, was better than I have had in a pub for a long time. The menu was interesting and had a great vegetarian choice. The landlady was very hospitable and could not have made us feel more welcome. The real ale was delightful and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend this pub to anyone that wants 'real' tasty food. Was also nice that on such a cold day there was a lovely warm wood fire burning away.

1  Thank beerandfoodlover
Reviewed 3 February 2012

It's not very often that you see someone with as much enthusiasm and vision as the owners of this pub. We have frequented The Hermit about once a week over the last 2 years and so have witnessed the changes that some of the other posts refer to.

Dont be put off by the posts that refer to the PREVIOUS owners. They were very stuck in their ways, the food tasted like the sort of ready-meal you would buy at a superstore. Furthermore, you were be lucky if they ever had the drink that you required because the beer and wine was often low-on-stock (always seemed didgy to me!). I would like to put an end to the comparisson to the Old Hermitt as no one in their right-mind could say that it is not a million times better now than it use to be.

The pub itself has maintained an air of tradition whilst acquiring a classy but informal look. It has been very well thought through. The drinks menu is vast and everything is on offer from regular beers and lager to good wines and spirits (they even do champagne by the glass at a reasonable price). The food is an area that I feel this pub is particularly excelling though. The menu's have changed around a couple of times but this is because the owners have listened to the feedback that they receive. We spent New Years Eve at the Hermit and I was truely wowed by the standard of the food considering that it was all served at the same time! It was extremely impressive, and I cant possibly begin to describe how mouth-wateringly delicious my steak was. We attend a lot of pubs in the local area and I can guarentee that the food that I have had at the Hermit recently is much better than The Fox at Willian or the (over-praised) Radcliffe in Hitchin.

They always have options for both Vegetarians and Vegas and I have tried some of these dishes and can assure you that they are so well put together that I (a meat-lover) didnt even notice the lack of meat.

I urge you to visit The Hermit. It has already improved so much and I think it has potential to become one of the best pubs around for both drinking and dinning.

1  Thank CAtkins26
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This pub is now modern and cosy and serves amazing food!
Although they also serve many meat dishes the variety of veggie and vegan dishes is great! Inventive and exciting menu.
Love the cosy sofas and roaring fire!
Highly recommend x