“First visit was OK, but won't be rushing back”

The Viking Pub and Bakehouse
Ranked #20 of 67 Restaurants in West Kirby
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 23
Description: As West Kirby's first Tankovna, we serve brewery fresh beer. Our copper tanks are filled with Budweiser Budvar which is driven direct from the brewery in Budwies, Czech Rep, every week. Delivering the freshest, unpasteurised pint of pilsner this side of the Danube. We have curated a broad range of interesting beer and cider as well as some funky wines, juices and cocktails for you to explore. In the kitchen, Simon and his team have really pushed the longboat out to deliver an exciting menu that is packed with pub classics, kids menus and entirely new dishes created exclusively for your new local.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I liked the cleanliness of the tables and the fairly roomy but busy atmosphere and on first impressions felt excited and was looking forward to my meal. I ordered my drink just as other drinks ordered earlier by family arrived for our table,minus the accomplomients ie Blackberries in one and the rhubarb missing on another gin drink. At £8.50 a glass is a little disappointing as these add to the flavour and look of the drink. My drink arrived after 10 mins Ok. All our starters arrived together and everyone really enjoyed them. Cannot fault at all. They were fab and very tasty.Everyone also really liked their mains. However for my main, the rump steak was so thick and chunky (looked more like fillet) was so tough and chewy even though cooked medium rare,as asked for. There was no visible evidence to point this out, so never complained, but this was the reason along with the drinks for the mark down. It was a mix of brilliant and slight disappointment. Worth the visit though

11  Thank christineashton

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Great food, friendly, helpful, attentive staff. Lovely atmosphere and generous portions.
Photo booth for family snaps.

1  Thank Barbara A
Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

I have eaten here a few times and the general standard has been very good. It is difficult to maintain that standard unless you have top notch staff at the back and the front. We had a very poor meal in June clouded our experience.

Date of visit: June 2018
12  Thank frankh625
Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

This was my second visit the first being over a year ago for brunch and the food was cold. However everything deserves a second chance.
If the assessment was on the front of house staff only then it would be a 5 star as they where excellent. A Pity the food didn’t match the staff - the hash was lukewarm and portion was small by anyone’s standard. I even went to counting 21 little cubes of potato with 2 small
Pieces of black pudding and poached eggs - all for circa £9.
I mention lukewarm and the people next to us sent their dish back. The pity is that they don’t appear to have learnt and perhaps as the owner is a Tv chef the kitchen staff don’t feel they need to step up. They are rescued by the excellent front of house staff.
If you are going then don’t expect much of the food but the selection of drinks is good, as is the decor.
I would go back for a drink only.

12  Thank anthonyhjackson
Reviewed 4 November 2018

My family and I visited yesterday evening for the fireworks. We waited for 25 minutes to be served at the bar. The free fireworks lasted around ten minutes. Hardly worth the visit. The male manager in a blue shirt completely ignored our presence at the bar and continually served others customers. We were also ignored by the other male bar tenders. Complete disappointment.

Date of visit: November 2018