“Sunday roast feast ”

The Weary Ploughman
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 32
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The restaurant, bar and rooms at the Weary Ploughman at Churston has been extensively refurbished to a very high standard during the last two years to provide somewhere to eat, meet or stay that is very welcoming and comfortable, but not in any way pretentious. Our menu is varied and freshly cooked using, whenever possible, produce sourced locally.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had neglected this pub often driving past it or on the bus to eat and drink in Brixham. We have lived within walking distance to this pub for about 10 years and only visited once a few years ago. To correct that and in the interests of market research and being the martyrs we are we thought we would put ourselves out and try it out for lunch

That turned out to be a good choice The pub itself is smart clean and has a mix of modern and traditional decor. There is plenty of space between tables and you are not squashed in. This is definitely a place you would book especially on a weekend at their peak times.

We all had the roast beef and very nice it was too The meat was juicy and succulent with two thick slices each accompanied by lovely fluffy potatoes underneath the meat with a lovely touch of onion purée with roast parsnips on top of the meat. It was really well presented on a proper plate and nice and hot.

The meal was presented on nice plates. A selection of vegetable’s accompanied the meal on a wooden platter in three separate serving dishes containing a lovely medley of peas carrots shredded cabbage and slice courgette in one, spiced red cabbage in another and finally cauliflower cheese.

The Yorkshire puddings were fluffy with a great crunch on top. Also much to my delight a large jug of really good gravy accompanied the roasts. It’s fab to see a place take such care with the food and presentation oh and by the way the horse radish sauce was really tasty as well just on the right side of hot!!!

I have to say the whole meal was delicious and we all finished it all bar a few bits ( just a bit much potato for the mother-in-law but she polished everything else off!!) We saw other meals come out including a great looking burger from the interesting main menu so more to investigate including a pizza menu

They were set up for all ages and had saved us a table as requested on the level part of the bar. I could see high chairs available for little ones and they even had a spare pair of reading glasses for customers who had forgotten theirs like me a really great touch oh and by the way there is an outside seating area as well

My wife and mother-in-law had pudding and they opted for the mini puds and coffee choosing chocolate cheesecake and Eton mess which I was told was delicious ( did not get a look in there although there was a offer I was too full!!!)

There is a great extensive drinks menu and proper glasses for the right drinks a particular thing for me as I am a glass snob!! My wife had a lovely glass of Sauvignon and I had a great cider (Harry Sparrow from Sussex) lovey and tasting of apples and very refreshing as some ciders don’t always do that. I noticed a lot of west country beers lagers and ciders, international specialist drinks and as usual these days a great selection of gins

Lastly I checked out if they had specials for dinner to compliment their main menus and of course they did we perused that weeks which looked great as well changing every few weeks so another big tick ✅

This pub does not look much from the road but it’s really worth the effort to call in. So to summarise this pub, Resturant, hotel offers superb tasty food, friendly efficient and laid back service ( IE we were not rushed) and definitely a keeper!! We will be back for dinner and some!!! I think we have found a pub to walk to and stagger back from nothing here to dislike!!!

Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

Visited on the day we got engaged and it was the perfect end to a great day. Wonderful meals and a lovely setting.

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Happy ven remembered d from year ago when we used to come great if not better food than we remembered keep it up guys

Reviewed 4 October 2018

Four of us went for Father's day lunch. The service was impeccable and an excellent menu with plenty of choice. There was options for main courses to be small, regular and large. Which for a small eater like myself is ideal. The small portion was more than enough for me. Delicious food.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

Excellent hotel, staff,food,most satisfying,plenty to eat at breakfast,
Hotel is very well placed for visiting Greenway House "Agatha Christies holiday home,a shuttle coach takes you there on most days,the coach takes you to the main gate and from there it is about a 20 minute walk of you have long legs