El Sabanero Eco Lodge(Playa Avellanas)
US$ 125
Cabinas Las Olas(Playa Avellanas)
US$ 120
US$ 116
Las Avellanas Villas(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
US$ 94
Vida Verde(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
US$ 70
Hotel Surf Camp Mediterraneo(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
US$ 73
ChanteMar(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
US$ 97
Playa Negra Surf Lodge(Playa Negra)(Great Value!)
US$ 80
Hotel Playa Negra(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$ 99
Hotel Mauna Loa(Playa Avellanas)
TripAdvisor
2,780 results
All reviewsasian restaurantcosta ricahacienda pinillaclosest towncaravan tourinfinity edgebeach clubazul grillkids clubpool staffturn down serviceocean viewremote locationbreakfast buffetbeautiful propertytamarisushi
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

9 days in this beautiful resort.
The hotel rooms were excellent and immaculate. The food was great with several different options for dinner.
We have traveled a lot and this is one of the finest hotels we have experienced.
And we are not strangers to the J W Marriott hotels having stayed in several.
But the thing that makes this place special is the staff !!!
Roberto Maykall at the Azul Grill is very professional and made the 4 of us feel like family. By the second time we came for dinner and sunset view, he knew our names and what we drank. He is one of the best waiters we have ever found. He is a keeper. We enjoyed his service , humor and conversation.
Randy at the Azul pool bar was excellent. He worked hard to keep us comfortable well served with “cool drinks “.
Ivannia the waitress for breakfast kept up with our needs and always had that beautiful smile . She also knew what we wanted for coffee every morning.
Jennifer at reception was very professional and helpful.
I never saw the person that cleared our room but she needs recognition also.
The beach is very nice and kept clean.

After spending a day around the pool with all good service we often remarked that the hotel should have more restrooms at pool level.

We took several tours from the hotel but it is a long ride to the attractions. Still they are worth it.

Great trip and we want to come back soon.
TioTim

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TioTim
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Guanacaste Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

Your review is amazing. Thank you very much TioTim for your comments and for your visit!

For us is going to be an honor to welcome you back soon.

I am pleased to hear that your experience with us for 9 days was the best.

I have addressed your comments to Roberto, Randy, Ivannia y Jennifer and all of them were very happy to see their names on TripAdvisor.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2018

First of all, this is a very nice hotel. However, I stayed at the J.W. Marriott in Los Cabos Mexico last year, and that was hands down the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. So the three star rating is comparing it to that one. The Los Cabos is new, clean, marble everywhere, and easy to get around. This one is more like an older Courtyard by Marriott. Worse than that though is the layout. It's the worse hotel layout by far that I've ever seen, and I've been in several hundred year old and newer hotels in Europe. The deal is, it's 5 stories and the third floor is the office main floor. However, elevators fairly far apart will go only from 1 through 3, or 3 through 5, and most everything to do is on 1 or 3, so if you get a room here, I would demand a room on 1,2 or 3. I'm on the fourth floor and our traveling friends are also on the fourth floor, but to get to their room we have to go down to third floor, cross the the other side of the hotel and go back up to fourth floor. To get to the pool, first floor, we have to go down to the third floor, walk to the center of the hotel (elevators are at the outside of the hotel), and back down another hall to get an elevator to the first floor. I'm not sure if the stairs are as bad, but just had recent knee surgery and can't really do the stairs. So, in summation, If I were ever to come back here, I would refuse a room on the 4th or 5th floor (might make an exception if I had an ocean view).

Room Tip: stay only on first, second or third floors.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Guanacaste Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Dear Sleepdoctor;

If you give us a second chance and decide to comeback we will give you a room first floor near to the pool area to make you feel more comfortable. I regret to know that our Resort design was not of your liking and also complex to be around.

At check in we provide to our guest a map of the resort to explain a little bit where our services are located and also de rooms.

We truly appreciate your valuable comments since it help us to improve day by day.

Kindest regards;

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Although the hotel certainly has a wow feel to it, we were disappointed with several features. 1)Getting around hotel is difficult- have to take two separate elevators (not near each other) to get from 4th floor rooms to 1st floor restaurant. 2)Elevators had no a/c and were hot 3)Stairwells smelled of dead animals and some dead ended into staff area only, without warning. 4)Waitstaff generally inattentive and had to be flagged down. Expected more of JW brand

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jon W
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Guanacaste Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Dear Jon W;

Sometimes is difficult to understand the hotel, that is why we give a map to our guests at check in and explain a little bit where are located the restaurants, spa and different services. I regret this has been an inconvenience for you. However I am pleased to know that you liked the Resort itself.
Your comments are very important to us, I have shared your feedback with our team in order to take corrective actions and improve our service.

Kindest regards,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Beautiful hotel in an amazing location. Hotel has great views of the pools and the beach. Surrounding lush jungle gives an amazing tropical feel. Unfortunately restaurant service is slow at best, and waiters often forget to bring drinks or food. Sadly each time I have stayed here the service has stayed the same.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear Mr;

I am pleased to know that you liked the Resort and the location. Tamarindo Town is nearby and there is several beaches around this area to explore.

We appreciate your feedback about service in the restaurants and I am glad to inform you that we are taking actions to improve. I hope that you can see the difference on your next visit.

Sincerely;

Reviewed 20 January 2018

Spent 10 days in Costa Rica at the J.W. Marriott and loved every minute! The food and people are fantastic but the prices at the Marriott are quite steep. Make sure to check out Lola's as the walk along the beach is amazing!!

This is a shot in the dark, but I lost a GoPro Hero 5 black there on Jan 17, 2018 so if anyone finds it I would be incredibly appreciative. Not so worried about the camera but the 8 hours of amazing action footage from our vacation would be great. Oh well. I guess we'll just have to make sure we come back and do it all over again!

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay as much as $4-5 for a bottle of water. Restaurant, bar and gift shop prices were over the top.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobM1965

I have checked with lost and found and unfortunately we do not have anything reported RobM1965. I guess you need to comeback and stay with us to do everything again as you said. For us of course its going to be a pleasure to be your host and make you feel like at home.

I am glad to know that you spend a wonderful time during your visit. Lolas is very popular, I am pleased you had enjoy it.

Warmest regards;