“Our 4th return”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Orient Bay
toronto, ontario
“Our 4th return”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

The most recent review titled "intimate and relaxing french hotel" is right on target so I won't bore everyone with the same information. I will however mention a few additional items.

Right around the corner is Orient Village that contains 7 or 8 restaurants. We tried a few and enjoyed them. For those who have not stayed at the hotel recently, you will definitely see some upgrades....painting, refinishing, etc. They have great satelite tv with a 100 chanels, some French but mostly english...all of the standard ones from the U.S. A/C works great and is pretty quiet. Housekeeping cleans the room early and will provide extra towels if requested.

Truthfully the only thing that I would like upgraded is the wi-fi. While it works in the room it is painfully slow. Vincent (the manager) who is very attentive to the needs of his guests is aware of this deficiency and I trust that this will be rectified soon. I truely can't think of anything else that I would suggest needs upgrading.

This was our 4th or 5th stay at Alamanda and it keeps getting better. We've stayed at a few other hotels on the French side but for us this is the one. We'll be back in December and are already looking forward to it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ab0000
USAsalesoffice, Directeur général at Alamanda Resort, responded to this review, 11 January 2017
Thank you for posting your experience at Alamanda Resort on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.

Thank you again for your kind recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip in Sint-Marteen!

Hotel Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This was my second stay at this wonderful French hotel. Alamanda is a small, intimate hotel (about 30 rooms, 2 levels) located on the Northeast side of French St. Martin. Guests were mostly from France or the US. Alamanda is right on Orient beach, which is accessible by a small walkway from the hotel. In general you will need a car to get to points of interest on the island. Car rental at Orient beach is overpriced and the best deals are found at the airport (around $25/day at the airport, $45/day at Alamanda). Below is a summary:

The good: The hotel was well maintained, the rooms and common areas had a lot of teak furniture, and the staff was very friendly. Each room had a small kitchenette and there was a small convenience store and pizza place within walking distance. The bathrooms were huge and had both a bathtub and shower (well, it was either a bathtub or a very large bidet … either way I used it as a bath). The pool is decent sized and was usually very quiet, offering a perfect escape from the heat and noise of Orient beach. Orient beach is just steps away. The hotel is situated in the middle of Orient beach. Free beach chairs were available from one of the beach bars (Kakao Beach). Drinks and meals can be ordered at several local restaurants and beach bars and charged directly to your room. European-style breakfast was included and consisted of French bread and croissants. Other meals, such as pancakes and eggs could be ordered a la carte.

The not-so-good: I can’t think of too much the hotel can improve on. The hotel could put furniture pads on the chairs in rooms on the second floor. Because the floors were tile, whenever someone on the 2nd floor moved a chair across the room it would sound like a roaring jet engine to the person trying to sleep in the room below. Although Orient beach is generally quiet at night, occasionally a local restaurant or beach bar would have a live band until around midnight. Getting around could be easier if the hotel had a coop car guests could use (even just to go to a large grocery store).

If you are looking for a cute, quiet boutique-style hotel Alamanda is the hotel for you! This was my second stay and I will definitely go back again!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second floor!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank zackbot

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Lets start out that there are no Four Seasons or Ritz's on Orient Bay. This is a typical European type Hotel in my opinion. The Rooms need a little Sprucing up but they are plenty big enough.

The room we had had its own Fridge which we got some Diet Coke's, Beer and Wine for a little appetizer before Dinner. You are a one minute walk to the Orient Beach and if you can't enjoy this beach something is wrong. For ten Euros or so you can get Chair and a few Drinks and just enjoy the beach. Mostly a couples place and I would bring any Kids.

The little Town on Orient had quite a few Restaurants that were very nice if you just want to get dinner and Crash. A 20 dollar taxi Ride and you can go to different areas for Dinner.

It rained virtually every Day but for 10-20 minutes and was spectacular the rest of the time.

The Breakfast was nice and the Staff was quite helpful.

It is not an inexpensive island.

United has a non Stop from Chicago on Sat and Sunday.

All in all it is a great trip but if I had to do it over I would have made it a ten day trip and spent five days here and five in Anguilla.

Room Tip: You will need to be on the second floor too see any of the ocean. Pool might be noisy in the afte...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank willtippet
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 April 2012

After several vacations in Dutch St. Martin,I decided to change it up and try out the French side. This hotel looked cute, so we booked it. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a snotty look and an eye roll, and no help with out bags. When my mother was signing in, she filled out the info form. She suffers from hand tremors so her hand writing often can come out slightly illegible. I am used to people asking her to clarify things, however the front desk woman's reaction was unlike anything I'd seen before.

The women at the front desk verbally attacked my mother yelling, "What is this garbage? Do you really expect me to read this? What is this? Seriously? etc." for about a minute straight un-apologetically. Never in my life have I seen my 60 year old mother get humiliated and yelled at by anyone, let alone yelled at by a person in the service industry. Seeing this little hint of what the service at this hotel would be like, I promptly told the woman there was no way we would be staying there and asked her to call us a taxi. She then defensively turned towards me and yelled, "What is your problem? I didn't do anything! What is your problem? You know what, if you don't like it here, then leave," and wouldn't call us a taxi because she kept ranting. This entire time, two other employees were just sitting by laughing.

I had to go down to the taxi starting area at the beach and beg for someone to drive us to a different hotel, since all the cabs wanted wait to take people back to the Cruise ship area (more money) not a local trip. While I was gone getting a taxi, the women were apparently trash talking us in French (my Grandmother also traveling with us speaks French fluently), and one of the men working there said to my sister sitting outside with the bags, "If you don't like it here, then leave." Even better, the psyco front desk lady was demanding my mom pay a 1 night fee (which the manager later lifted).

Overall, we wouldn't have stayed at this hotel anyways because of the appalling shameful service, however the decision was made easier because the hotel seemed run down in general, and empty/abandoned surrounded by other apartments.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank lovesthecarribeansun
Ontario
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed at the Alamanda in late Feb - early March 2012 and had a very pleasant experience. Our annual winter escape to the caribbean usually is spent at an all inclusive style resort, but this time we decided to change things up. We have travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean and Europe so this trip was a mixture of both with a little European flare and the spectacular beaches of the caribbean. I missed the all inclusive atmosphere of meeting people and spending time with the same people day after day at dinner and throughout the day. All in all, it was a very nice holiday for us though and provided what we needed, a relaxing and beautiful place to unwind and reconnect.
The Alamanda offers a wonderful breakfast which many here have spoken about so I won't elaborate. The rooms are clean and sufficient ( shower curtains that are larger might help with the water issue flooding the bathroom floor) Our bed was hard as a rock, but that doesn't bother us when we are on vacation--we don't sweat the small things. The only bothersome thing was some hotel guests allowing the menagerie of cats that hang around the hotel into their rooms. People should be more considerate of the fact that the person occupying that room once they're gone could have serious allergies. I loved the cats, especially the black one who shared my breakfast with me every morning, but I didn't want them in our room and was shocked to see a guest encouraging the cats ( three of them) to come into their room for the night.
Front desk staff was very helpful. Internet service is sketchy but available. Safety was never a concern. I would suggest bringing an electric voltage adapter if you are travelling from North America. I would also suggest looking into restaurants away from Orient bay for more variety prior to your trip. I would also suggest being made aware of the cost of beach lounge chairs before you arrive ready to park your butt for the day. I also suggest that if you are prone to the pesky 'no-see-um' sand flies that chew your legs and ankles ( like I am) bring bug spray for the evening hours when they are at their worst. Some people are not affected by them, but they bite me like crazy where ever we go and Orient Beach was no different than anywhere else.
The restaurants in Orient village behind the hotel were decent but service in a few of them was awful. There were a variety of menu choices, all of which were good. The best pizza by far is at Tap Five in the little shopping strip !! Loved the fact that you could just grab a pizza and sit out at a picnic table with a few beers and have a simple dinner rather than a sit down formal meal at a restaurant. Shopping also at the little stores in that little plaza was very handy. We picked up cases of water and munchies and stocked out fridge for some late night eating on our terrace... a baguette, some deli meats, cheese and a bottle of wine.. perfection !! The alamanda is in close proximity to so much and we're glad we chose such a central location... Days spent at Club Orient soaking up the sun au natural and evenings spent further up the beach at Kaiko and the other little beach bars along the way back to the Alamanda. Shopping to Marigot and Phillipsburg is a cheap taxi ride away and a nice way to spend a morning before hitting the beach.
Would we go back? Likely not -- only because the world is full of too many other places to visit. Happy Travelling Everyone !!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

3.6 km away
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel

Been to Alamanda Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK