“No stay just a fun place to visit so far”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Los Chiles
Hotel Castillo Azul
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Los Chiles
Reviewed 26 December 2016

Martin and Robert and family are great people! A wild animal sanctuary complete with Carlos the pet Cayman! Tilapia farm, geese, Carlos, guinea's, chickens, little dogs whose bark is bigger than no bite, a Caron (sp) bird trained to not fish the Tilapia without permission white bird very beautiful and lots of flora and fauna! These are lovely people who jump to serve the very roughed outdoorsman! Don't expect frills just the best bang for your buck as Robert I L states in a clean room with TV and Air Conditioning. Super affordable too.

Room Tip: Just ask Robert.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 August 2015

We stumbled across this place because we needed a place to stay after arriving late at night. We were planning to take a trip into Nicaragua, but ended up having a great excursion into the Cano Negro on the owner's boat. While the accomodations are not luxurious, more like very simple, the rooms are extremely inexpensive. These are not resort digs, but like an old motor lodge. However they were clean and the people are friendly. They were more than willing to help us plan our trip to Nicaragua, but after speaking with Martin, we decided to take a fantastic day trip up the Rio Frio into the Cano Negro. The sight seeing was amazing. We were given an up close and personal view of the wildlife by our guide, Julio. My daughter, who had just spent a month studying in the Osa Peninsula, was able to see three varieties of monkeys from a much shorter distance than she experienced in her field studies. While I can't tell you the rooms were great, I can say the people were fantastic and the experience unparalleled. So, if you want a cheap place to stay, wish to meet some interesting people and would like a fantastic wildlife viewing experience, see Martin and Robert.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank sal92590
Reviewed 27 May 2015

The hotel is very good for the money, it hadv A C hot water cable TV led TVs, real quiet place to stay it is on a big farm. the fish dinner is the best its a must was very fresh they have a fish farm. Everone was very helpful whey gave me a lot of usefull info for my trip to nicaragura, on what to do and were to stay,

Room Tip: Must have hot water and AC
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert l L
Reviewed 13 March 2015

i've been to costa rica 30+ times for the last 10 years and this is easily the best deal i've found here. for a mere $23 per night i got a room with hot water, a/c, satelitte cable tv, and wifi (which didn't reach inside the room, but they told me it didn't). in 10 years i've never found this in a place under $50 per night let alone $30 per night. i normally stay at my friend's house in los chiles central but they had too many guests and no a.c. there and i knew how bad the mosquitos are down by the river at hotel wilson so i figured i'd try this place. instead of 4 nights there i ended up staying all 9 nights there since it was such a good value. mosquitos were much less there as its not as near to the river, and it was completely quite there when the sun was down. yes, they do have some geese and farm animals there as it is basically a hotel on a farm but i found that to be more comical and charming than anything. i mean, if you don't like nature and farms, don't go to zona norte and los chiles!

the owner and his assistant Martin & Robert could be considered by some to be abrasive but they were extremely attentive, courteous, genuine, and entertaining. they ended up inviting us over for dinner and drinks every night and were excellent company and conversationalists. plus, Martin and his wife Vicky are outstanding chefs. when i come back to visit my friend in los chiles i won't even want to stay in his house i'd rather pay the $25 here for the a/c, king sized bed, hot water shower, wifi, satellite tv and incredible cooking by Martin and his family.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nikolimartini
Reviewed 5 July 2012

It was a guy fishing trip and we just needed aplace to sleep for a few hours. The owner explained that it was very basic. The area is poor and agri based. I think that there was only one other place to stay. The room was part of the fishing trip price. I did'nt expect much. When we arrived, the owner came out and said "Welcome to my (outdoor toilet)". The place was very dirty and bug infested. We left our luggage in the car so as not to take little critters with us. There was a/c and tv, but if there was hot water I never found it. I sprayed the door frame and window frames with repellant, but I think that kept more bugs in than out. This is no place to honeymoon, take a girl, or anyone else that is not there to fish or is there out of necessity. Los Chiles is on the Rio Frio and it has probably the world's largest tarpon(250-300 lbs). I got one up close enough to see it. They are HUGE and I have know idea how we would have got it in the boat if I had been able to keep it one the line after a 2hr struggle and a broken rod. The owner together with his friend, Mark, a crusty foul mouthed Brit, Changed prices, changed the size of the boats,who we would go with and ultimately only 2 of the 4 of us had a chance to get out on the river despite the fact 4 of us paid to go. We got ripped! We were kind of helpless because all we could have done is turn around and drive hours and hours back at night, which was a poor alternative. If you are determined to go there to fish, there simply aren't too many alternative and prepare to be had to one extent or another. Nevertheless, the 2 hour struggle with the fish was great and the guide they finally set us up with (Julio) worked hard and knew what he was doing.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ringofire449

Been to Hotel Castillo Azul? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK