All reviews the owner the hotel staff indian food beautiful location out of the way railway station walking distance great view fantastic hotel comfortable rooms taking care home away from home ski resort mr tour mountains interlaken
Reviewed 9 June 2008

This hotel is about 30 mins from Lucerne. Stayed here for one night as part of a Cosmos tour.
Bland is the word that springs to mind. The hotel is made up of several buildings on different levels and connected by corridors and bridges.
Our room was clean but dull. The bed was too short (and I am only 6ft tall) and the traffic noise loud.
After being in Switzerland I was used to their breakfasts but this was one the simplest. No fruit, one type of bread, meat and cheese and all this taken in a canteen style restaurant.
This hotel is a big favourite with tour buses. Guess the tour companies are getting good discounts. There is no other possible reason to stay there.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank RoomSpY
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We spent two nights here as part of a coach tour.

The rooms are not large but at least you could sit on the balcony and take in the beautiful mountain scenery. There is no air conditioning so we had to have the window open until we were awoken by a storm, after closing the window the room got very hot. The bathroom was very tight and the towels very small but everything was very clean.

It was also very hot in the dining room but everytime someone opened a window a member of staff would closed it.

Food was not great but quite ediable, no hot dishes at all at breakfast.

The staff here could all do with a long spell at a charm school, they were very abrupt , never returned a greeting and never smiled but this we found generally the same in the whole area.

If I had a choice, mainly due to the staff, I would choose a different place to stay if I visited the area again.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank RagBag
Reviewed 16 May 2008

My husband and I stayed here as part of a Cosmos tour in 2004. The setting is truly lovely, and that was the good thing about Hotel Lowen. From the outside, the hotel looks like a lovely Swiss chalet. However, the Cosmos brochures don't show the ugly addition which seems to be where all of us with non-European passports were housed. It was the only lodging on the entire tour that was below par. So, it detracted from the overall experience.

The food was okay, but the staff was extremely unfriendly to everyone. We nearly got forks stabbed into our hands when we approached the dessert table a few minutes too early.

Would I recommend an overnight here. No. But I would recommend a side trip through the lovely village for anyone driving between Interlaken and Lucerne. There was a nice little wine shop,and the old church and lake/mountain backdrop make the stop worthwhile. It's a nice place for a picnic if not an overnight.

• Stayed: July 2004, travelled as a couple
3  Thank exVermonter
Reviewed 10 April 2008

On Easter-eve (Saturday 22 March) we were driving towards Interlaken, where we had booked a chalet. However, a snow storm near Lungern forced us to stop and look for overnight accommodation. We entered Lowen Hotel and asked for a double room, the lady at the reception kindly said they had a double available and indicated us to park the car in their private car-par and take luggage. So we did (under heavy snow storm). As soon as we re-entered the hotel with luggage, the manager passed and saw us. I do not know whether he did not like our Italian appearance, anyway he said something to the receptionist who soon came to us saying that no rooms were available!! Unbeliveable! We asked reasons why and possibility to speak with the manager, but no way. They literally pushed us and our luggage out of the hotel, under a heavy snow storm, and without any explanation. So we had to pack our luggage and skies on the roof rack and drive to the closest town with all risks involved. Fortunately we eventually found another hotel with a very kind manager and chef who welcomed us warmly, gave us accommodation and even prepared a hot delicious soup.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ricchienberg
Reviewed 13 October 2005

Stayed here in June with a Cosmos trip to Europe... Overall I thought the hotel was pretty good. The food in the restaurant was good. Not alot to do nearby, but church is beautiful... I made several runs to the Kiosk across the street.. Beds were clean and comfy and room was decent size for me.. The only problem I had were the flies. I had about 5 flies in my room. I also wasn't able to get a hair dryer. I really wished the location could've been better. I also recall that the room had very strange lamps. They were just huge light bulbs, no lamp shade. Oh, well. If you have any questions about this hotel or Cosmos please email me- SaraM1976@aol.com. Thanks!

• Stayed: June 2005