“BED BUGS REIGN SUPREME”
Review of Asakusa Shigetsu

Asakusa Shigetsu
Ranked #36 of 122 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed 26 August 2008

Don't stay here, unless you enjoy BED BUGS.

I stayed first in the Japanese style single room on the 4th floor. I arrived at around 10pm and it was raining outside and was shown to my room by an elderly gentlemen. He explained that there's no one at the front desk after 11am. I thought - no problem!! Right after 11am as I'm getting ready for bed I notice a couple of tick looking bugs on the walls. Before long the room is swarming, they're all over the bed (tatami style) and there's no place for me to escape to. I had only a couple of hours sleep that night (some on the black sofa in the lobby downstairs) out of desperation and had to go to 2 business meetings the next day. I was so exhausted the following night that I just asked for my room to be changed to a Western style room -I just did not have it in me to look for a new hotel after a long day of meetings with no sleep and jet lag. Had no problem the second night (but maybe because I was exhausted!). I was moved to another room for the third night, Western style again. This time I noticed the same bugs and some smaller variety all throughout the sheets. I had to find a new place to stay. They didn't charge me for one of the nights but it's completely not worth going through this. I will never stay here again!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank WWind
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Asakusa Shigetsu

Reviewed 21 August 2008

My recommendation after staying here - DO NOT STAY HERE - They have BED BUGS !!!!!!!

I stayed in this hotel in January 2000 and loved it. It has a great location in Asakusa and although the rooms are small they were well kept and clean.

8 years later - the location is still great, and hotel "appears" clean, yet very worn.

I had a small western room #407. It was very quiet and appeared clean. They apparently vacuumed the floor, cleaning the bathroom, dusted the room, and changed the sheets daily. However, the room was very worn. There are black marks on the walls, the lamp shade has threads hanging from it, the shower backs up if you run the water full strength, and the "english" news station of CNN is dubbed over in Japanese!

But wait there's more: The second day of my visit I noticed some small bumps on my arms and feet from insect bites and assumed I had gotten them we I went to watch fireworks near a river. I continued to get more bumps every day. Though oddly only on my arms and feet. By my fourth night I could hardly sleep from itching! I checked the sheets every night for possible bugs. I looked around the room for mosquitoes, although the bites are smaller than mosquito bites. I couldn't find any bugs. The last night I got up at 3am to use the bathroom. When I returned to bed I saw a small tick like bug in the sheets. I immediately felt very creepy. This place has BED BUGS !!!! and I have been sleeping with them! I took a shower, inspected all my stuff, packed and was out of there by 4:30am. I returned at 7am (when the lobby opens) to check out. I explained about the bed bugs and my unhappiness at sleeping with them. The lady said no one had ever complained before. She seemed very embarrassed, but not apologetic. She mentioned the situation to the man working the kitchen and he ran into the lobby and got a tube of anti-itch cream from their selection of toiletries. (at least I assumed that's what it was) It was was brand new, opened and handed to me. I made a big display of taking off my shoes and socks and applying the lotion in the lobby as other guests filed through for the morning. When the lady had finally prepared my bill for check out she asked for the tube back. I wonder if they often need anti-itch cream! She said she wasn't charging me for the last night of my stay. I replied, "The bugs ate me Every night!" She just stood there quietly and asked how I was going to pay for the room. I didn't want to make a big seen and even though the clerks are supposed to be bi-lingual, their command of English is limited. My knowledge of Japanese is even more limited.

Location is great, I don't mind the rooms being worn, watching Japanese television, the curfew, or 10:30am to 3pm lock out.
BED BUGS - are horrible - DO NOT STAY HERE.

If you get small bumps, primarily on your extremities (feet, arms) in any hotel, the place has BED BUGS. They are very elusive and live in the mattresses. This is why they bite the extremities, as they are closer to the mattress.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
7  Thank mclewis
Reviewed 5 August 2008

The only reason to stay here is the price - we paid 157,000 yen a night and stayed 3 nights. There were several problems though: the hotel charged our credit card twice for the time we were there, and even though the first night we stayed in a Japanese style room without a bath, they still charged us the same rate as a room with a bath. (We didn't get the double charge until we received a credit card statement at home.) More minor things: very hard to find this place and not just finding it the first time. Both tiny rooms we stayed in had broken shoji screen with holes showing. The one small elevator gets very backed up with suitcases and people waiting, and when I asked if I could use the stairs to walk up to the second floor, the woman at the desk said the stairs were only for an emergency. She was also the least polite hotel clerk we met in our 3 week stay in Japan. Finally, after a couple of more requests she called her manager and said we could use the stairs. At checkout time there was a large group of people waiting for one clerk, it went very slowly. This place is over-rated and we would never stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank designut
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights in July 2008 with my 2 teenage boys in a "triple" Japanese style room. Tiny and noisy room (#201). Our 3 futons were literally wedged wall to wall . Trucks and traffic unload throughout the night in front of the hotel. The futons are never put away and cover every inch of floor space. You are not allowed in your room or the lobby between 10:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. and curfew is at 11 p.m. (if you know in advance the staff will give you a key code but otherwise you are in trouble). The Japanese bath is, according to the information in your room AND the sign in the elevator (the ENGLISH sign that is), open from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the evening ,but a second sign in the elevator (written in Japanese so you must be able to read it) says the bath is open from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.. When I attempted to take a bath at 4:30 p.m., the owner started to yell at me and point to the sign and say "5 o'clock!). When I pointed out the other sign he just continued to yell. Although they have "air conditioning" in the rooms, you cannot control the temperature (the front desk has a master control) and it was unbearably hot (even though it was not particularly hot for Tokyo). I spent over two years living/working in Kumamoto, Japan in the late 1980's and I was back visiting Japanese friends in the Asakusa area. Although the ryokan is tastefully decorated and the futons are comfortable, I would probably stay elsewhere next time. I felt like I was back in a glorified youth hostel and there are certainly other options in the area.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank travelmutter
Reviewed 3 July 2008

We stayed at the Ryokan Asakusa Shigetsu for 5 nights. It is in a great location (near Senso-ji Temple and a short walk from the subway). The staff was friendly and helpful. We had hoped to have a Japanese style room, but they were all booked. Nonetheless, we were quite pleased with our Western style room.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple