“so la la”

Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
New York City, New York
“so la la”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

*scratches head* it pains me to say that it actually looks better on the internet than in real life.

plus points:
1. tatami room + bedding is comfortable. great sleep! *thumbs up*
2. jacuzzi is big with nice shower facilities. nice feature, and think of it as your own semi-private sento, if you will.
3. you can rent portable wifi for use in your room and when you go out. i'm the sort of person where wi-fi is important to me, so being able to rent a device for use on the streets where i can consult google-sensei without fear of my own phone bill rocketing is comforting to me. wi-fi is available in the living room (common area) and lan-cable connection in the room (but who uses lan-cable nowadays?)
4. staff are really cool and friendly
5. there's a cool dumbwaiter (bagwaiter?) to carry your bags up to your floor. (and no, you're not allowed to stuff yourself inside)
6. counters on each floor for you to make your own tea, boil your water etc
7. common area is nice, tho small.
8. nice neighbourhood

minus points:
1. big minus - while the jacuzzi is big, the common shower (if you don't use the jacuzzi facilties) is pathetically small and a real let down. -__-
2. toilet areas are small too. no japan toto toilet experience to be had here too! (at least not up to standard)
3. for people who don't like stairs, you probably won't enjoy the narrow staircase up. i was ok with this, but i can understand and sympathetise with some who aren't as agile and good with eyesight.
4. dark corridors and spaces. i like designed spaces as much as the next person, but i appreciate sunlight and space better. architecture-wise and space-planning-wise, it looks better from the pictures.

all in all, i think i'll try a different place next time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank simalem
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 6 June 2012

During my stay in Tokyo, as my wish was to feel the real japanese culture, my objective for the accommodation has always been to prefer a Ryokan (typycal japanese style accommodation) despite of common hotels; the Andon Ryokan has been the best choice for my vacation in Tokyo, as I had the chance to feel at home, even if I was 12 hours far from my home town!
Location: Andon is located 5 minutes walking from Minowa Station (Ueno subway line), two stops from Ueno main station, so it is well linked from the Narita Int'l Airport as the Keisei Express Limited Train (the cheeapest train from the airport to Tokyo city center) stops directly to Ueno station. Moreover, Andon staff will send you toether with reservation a useful map to get to the hotel by yourself. As it was my first time in Tokyo (and I don't speak japanese..), I get lost as I was outside Minowa stat., but after my call to the hotel Ms. Ryoko (Andon's manager) kindly came to me in just 10 minutes and I get to the hotel safe.
Service: during the c/in Andon Staff gave me drinks and cookies free of charge and they were always at my total disposal was any enquiry I had about the city (Tsukiji fish market tuna's auction, sky tree tokyo tower, ect..). Moreover, in the Andon there is wi fi internet, pc with internet, bathrooms with amenities and internetional guests.
Breakfast is great, you have a menu so you can decide which kind to order, it is directly prepared and good price-value.
Room: the room are typical japanese, with tatami, futon, but everything is clean, functional and modern, so you can enjoy your hassle free "japanese stay".
At the end of my stay, even if I was concern to move at the capsule hotel for my last night in Tokyo, andon staff allow me to leave my luggages at the andon for free!

I never had such an unforgettable stay as at the Andon in my life, after many trips all around the world!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I am in conflict about this one. I have been to Japan three times before and usually, for around $US100 per night, we get a pretty boring room with a beige plastic bathroom in the corner. Andon was about the same price but it looks fantastic, I love the whole minimalist design but after having seen picturres on the website, I was surprised to find that it was kind of shabby and worn around the edges. It is older than I thought it would be - around ten years?- and I think the wear and tear is starting to show. There wasn't many people there, it was the off season, but things like bathrooms would be really under pressure when it got busy. The staff were so helpful and spoke quite a few languages but space in the meals area was really at a premium. They were strict about some things too, such as having to pay the entire amount up front for a night when we returned to Tokyo. The location is quite isolated too, by Japanese standards, it is a long walk from the subway.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chrissy L
Sydney
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Our first night in Japan was spent here. The rooms were very small & very minimalist (as per website photos) but we had everything we needed. The jacuzzi room upstairs was fantastic! The price doesn't include breakfast. The staff recommended an awesome udon restaurant 2 min walk away- I didn't taste anything quite like it during the rest of my time in Japan. There is a cute communal area where travellers sat, chat, emailed on their own laptops, sipped tea, browsed magazines so had a hostel type of feel. Enjoyable stay though could hear noises from adjacent rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amaziah
Usa
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed two times in our Japan trip at the Andon Ryokan and I can honeslty say it was an excellent decision to stay here.

As other reviews have stated - the place is located in a good, safe and quiet area, conveniently located just a couple of blocks from the Minowa station (Hibiya subway line). If you're looking for the best quality-cost ratio I really doubt you'll find anything better. The building's design is quite interesting since it combines the traditional feeling of a ryokan, but it has been designed and built using contemporary design techniques. The staff is really helpful, Ryoko, Yuka and Takamaru are all great. The breakfasts are amazing and quite economic considering the cost of meals outside of the hotel in Tokyo (be preapred!). Our overall experience was great and will definitely stay here again on our next trip.

A couple of tips:
* Try to book a room on a higher floor (2nd or 3rd) since you won't get that much noise coming from the communal areas. Rooms at the end of the corridors are best and a little wider than the other ones.
* It is true that the rooms are not sound-insulated as much as you'd like to, so bring earplugs in case your sleep is light.
* When using the subway try to use the Hibiya line as much as possible as opposed to switching at Ueno Station to the Ginza line, for example. This will save you paying double fare. Some of Tokyo's subway lines are run by separate companies so you'll be paying extra fares if you keep switching from one to another.
* Go and check a restaurant called 'Kou', 5 min walk from the hotel (they recommended this place at the hotel). They have amazing Yakitori. Ask for the tomato and pork one, you'll see what I mean.
* Finally, if you're in Tokyo mainly to visit areas like Shibuya, Shinjuku and Meguro, this hotel may be a little far for you. Every time we went to Shibuya it was worth the 45 min subway ride, since the hotel is great.. but you may want to consider another place if you'll be spending all your time in those areas.

Room Tip: The higher you get your room the better, since you get less traffic. Rooms on the lower level may be...