“Cute, functional & friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andon Ryokan

Andon Ryokan
Ranked #6 of 120 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
London, United Kingdom
“Cute, functional & friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of our trip and really enjoyed it. Set us up for a great holiday in Japan. Staff were friendly & helpful. Rooms were a little on the small side but wasn't the end of the world. Tradition Japanese room with a futon style bed & a fabulous jacuzzi on the top floor (A Must). Breakfast was choice of Japanese or western style. Both very tasty.

A little way out of central Tokyo but only 2 stops from Ueno on the Metro.
In all, a great modern Ryokan & good value for money.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Daddymac29
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here on two separate trips and I just love it, the rooms are very small but you get used to it quickly, everything is clean, the jacuzzi is amazing, the breakfast is very good, everything about it is great.

Stayed April 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I recently returned from an amazing first trip to Tokyo, and I stayed here for 15 out of the 17 nights I was there. The Andon was a large contributor of my positive experience and I'm actually about to make reservations to stay there again at the end of the year. The Andon experience is a good mesh of old and new; you'll have the ryokan feel, but with some modern amenities. There are many individual things about staying here that make it very unique and welcoming, but it's really the staff that make it so wonderful.

The overall value and price for staying here is excellent. You won't have such a great experience for less than $100 a night anywhere else. I don't think you'd have a better experience at some that are over $100 a night, either. The staff is extremely attentive and genuinely friendly. They're all very interesting and interested in learning about you, showing you how to get around and recommending things to do. I never had any issues at all during my stay, but I'm sure that if I did, they would take care of it immediately. They all speak very good English, and if you need reservations or a taxi, or anything else that may require Japanese language skills, they will help you. I was really impressed.

It's a very accommodating place; there were people from all over the world there, some with two or three kids, some couples, and some that traveled alone. Anybody can go there to feel welcome and enjoy themselves. It's like I said before, the staff is very friendly and glad for you to be there. They even have a stand by the front door to hold flags representing the nationalities of all current guests. There is no curfew, and you get an access card to get in after 10pm. Information is very easy to find, and I highly recommend picking up the Tokyo Metro Guide and the Tokyo Handy Guide from the lobby, especially if you are new there, like I was.

The building is located in a very nice, quiet street in a peaceful neighborhood. I mean, a lot of streets and neighborhoods in Japan seem to be that way, but this one especially so. I miss that short walk to Minowa Station already, it's very pleasant. There is a beautiful Sakura near the intersection, a view of the Sky Tree, and a noodle shop, the smell of which will make you hungry every time you pass. Some may take issue with the location, not being centrally located in the city, but I never felt like I was too far from anywhere I wanted to go. It's very close to Ueno, which is an important hub in the JR/Metro system, and is also convenient to the airport.

The building itself is quite solid, and is steel-framed. I experienced my first tremors while here, and I felt perfectly safe, if that's an issue for you. It is compact, but I never felt like anything was too small. It's definitely cozy. The air quality inside is excellent, it's kept very clean, and it's not drafty or anything. I had no issues with temperatures at all, and was always comfortable. During my stay, they also installed the new high-tech toilets! Everything is very nicely decorated.

The rooms are cozy, and have DVD players, HD televisions, internet access and alarm clocks. There is a variety of free tea as well as coffee in the lobby, and beer is available. There is a vending machine just outside also. The breakfast is pretty amazing. They have some sets, or you can also build your own with extras. I recommend the Regular Set. The bacon and egg sandwich is good also. I started every day with that, and then ended every day with ofuro (jacuzzi reservation). There is an extensive list of music to choose from, which they will play during your bath. The artwork and decorations in the jacuzzi room are quite pleasing. Afterwards, I slept like a baby on my futon every single night I was there, woke up and did it all again.

There are bins in most hallways for sorting trash, but usually the trash bin in your room will be emptied daily. It's good to at least throw your plastic bottles and cans into the separate bin if you can. All basic toiletries are provided. There are coin-operated washers and dryers there also. There is a smoking area outside of the main lobby by the vending machine with chairs and tables.

I'm sure I didn't cover everything, but hopefully that's enough to make up your mind. You can't possibly go wrong by staying here. I promise you will enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: I recommend a long stay, so you can get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Shizukanamaru
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Very nice place with friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are small but cozy. Neighborhood is not very interesting. I recommend this place because of staff and good atmosphere. If you are going to explore Tokyo like us.. stay there 3 nights and then try another neighborhood ;)

• Stayed March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank miloshi
Shanghai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

it was our 1st time in Tokyo, and we were very happy to stay at this ryokan!
It's a very basic place but clean, elegant, quiet, nice and confortable.
Don't expect any particular luxurious services, here you will sleep in a very small room (as usually in Japon), and take a shower in a small cabine. there is no private bathroom.
However tatami are really confortable!!!
AC/heating work very well!
the european breakfast is cheap and perfect to start the day
The place is well decorated.
It was not full at all so very quiet.
the staff is really nice an helpful. they give you a Tokyo map and help you to organise your day.

Located in Ueno, it's very convenient when visiting this area, then you can take the metro and move in the other districts. Let's say it's not in the very center of Tokyo, but well located at this price.
:-)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Anne B B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Hotel Mystays Asakusa-bashi
Yotsuya / Iidabashi
Hotel Grand Arc Hanzomon
Hotel Grand Arc Hanzomon
#12 of 72 in Chiyoda

Been to Andon Ryokan? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK