“Amazing experience - Recommend a guide”
Review of The Tsukiji Market

The Tsukiji Market
Book In Advance
US$ 114.86*
and up
Private Asakusa, Tsukiji Fish Market and Sumo Stable Tour Including Water Bus...
US$ 108.10*
and up
Private Kimono Experience in Asakusa with Tsukiji Fish Market Walking Tour and...
US$ 90.08*
and up
Private Walking Tour of Tsukiji and Hamarikyu Garden with a Water Bus Ride to...
Ranked #1 of 493 things to do in Chuo
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Great place to visit if you love to eat fresh fish or sushi. Choose from a variety of welcoming shops and restaurants. Fish is also sold in this market but be sure to arrive early as the best fish tends to sell out early in the morning.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The absolute shear size of the fish markets is absolutely incredible. Not to mention the amount of amazing food shops in the outer market is awesome. Make sure you attend this landmark on a empty stomach. To really get the most benefit from the history behind the fish markets along with all the cool hidden foods that are around i would recommend taking a tour. We went with the Tokyo food and drink company and they were simply incredible.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived at the market at around 11am. It was a short walk from the nearest train station. We were confused a bit because our pocket wifi was not working well so we just followed foreign tourists heading straight, assuming they were also headed to Tsukiji market. True enough, the sea of tourists did lead us there!

The market instantly excited us as soon as we caught sight of it. There were so many to see and try everywhere. What was great was the variety of food and merchandise. It is sure to make any food lover happy.

We ate in a traditional sushi place tucked within the side streets but there were so many other choices, whether you want to sit down for a meal or do a walking food tour. Just sampling the food around is sure to fill you up. There are also many that you can buy and take home.

Most food vendors require you to eat the food in front of their stalls and throw the trash in their designated bins. This explains why the market is so clean. Everyone was so disciplined and proud of their products.

This is definitely one of the highlights of our trip to Japan.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is my second visit to Tokyo. The first time around I didn’t have a chance to go to the fish market so I couldn’t miss this opportunity this time.

I read online that if you want to see the famous tuna auction you really need to be there by 5 a.m. in the morning as the number of tourists allowed is limited by 200 and the entrance is on the first come, first served basis. It meant that I’d needed to stay up all night and spend the early hours somewhere nearby as there is no public transport around 4 a.m. Although I still cannot sleep (the bloody jet lag) I am traveling alone and wasn’t really ready to spend the night God knows where. So I packed my backpack, made sure I didn’t have breakfast and headed from Shinjuku via magenta Oedo Underground Line to Tsukijishijo Station.

The Oedo line goes overground most of the way. The warm and sunny weather made the journey pleasant. From Shinjuku it is only 9 stops, although the distance between the stops is significant and it will take you about 20 minutes to get there. The map said that it is a 7-minute walk from Tsukijishijo Station to the market. As a matter of fact, the market spills out as near as the corner of the next block. But you know you are at the right place already at the station - the commuters are greeted with a strong smell of fresh fish. If you follow the signs (or rather your nose), you will soon be in the midst of a very busy and efficient fish market.

I arrived about half past nine - the morning auctions have been over by the time and the small retail sellers and fish restaurants have already gotten about their business.

The first thing that is conspicuously noticeable is the absence of smells. Nowhere in the market will you be disturbed by the stench of rotting fish or the nauseating smell of disinfectants like the ones they use in Cooperative or Sainsbury’s. In fact, with little imagination if you lift your head up, you will feel fresh sea breeze blowing in your face, hear the shrieky voices of seagulls and almost see the drops of salty ocean water on your skin. You feel excited and slightly elated at the early promise of the best fresh fish experience in your life.

The stalls with fresh fish and seafood are everywhere, I am not going to attempt to list all the names of fishes I saw - I am not an expert but the variety and quality of fish are stupefying. Most of the stall owners specialize in one thing or the other: crustaceans, big fish, small fish, dry fish, octopuses etc. There are loads of tiny street foot traders too who are all busy cooking, boiling, glazing, steaming, frying or preparing fresh fish that you can try then and there and then ascend to your gastronomic paradise.

I have noticed a few stalls using blow torch in cooking - apparently to preserve freshness of seafood allowing only minimal preparation time.

Ten minutes in and my head was spinning with smells and sounds and given that I had not had any food yet I did not want to spoil the appetite and snack on street food. I wanted the real deal so I made my way to a small Japanese restaurant Itadori for the ultimate rice and sashimi breakfast.

The two places that I read reviews on - Sushi Dai and Daiwa Sushi - I could not find. In honesty, I did not spend much time looking but even if I did, I wouldn’t want to spend an hour in the queue to get my food. I wanted it now and Itadori looked like the right place to go.

The waitress offered me to sit by the counter so I could see the chef and sous-chef work which was fascinating to watch.

I opted for a bowl of rice with a sashimi set on top that included cod and salmon roe, fresh semi-fatty tuna, fresh cod, fresh giant shrimp and two pieces of lightly cured sea eel. I also had green tea that was included into the meal and a bowl of miso soup.

The food was de-li-cious. It was the best fresh fish I have ever had. The fatty tuna melted in my mouth. Even the humble miso soup was amazing with fresh seaweed and no tofu inside - it was light and refreshing.

A meal like this will set you back 3000 yen or £30. For what you get it’s an absolute bargain! There is no way you can have anywhere near this freshness and quality even for £120 in London.

The food was very nourishing but it did not leave the feeling of heaviness at all. The combination of seafood was also very balanced, everything worked together in perfect harmony.

After the meal I had a leisurely stroll along the market building and bought some quite expensive but very good fruit. Japanese are not very big on fruit - you won’t find anything decent in the convenience stores. So after a few days on sushi and udon in Tokyo I was craving fruit and veggies badly.

On my way out, I also picked up a most delicious o-nigiri with seaweed and fried rice on top and some dried fruit for dinner.

What an amazing experience! I am coming back next year.

2  Thank Marina S
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This place is definitely a best place to get a fresh seafood, ranged from the cheapest to most expensive ones, from the popular to the most exotic ones. Various sushi and sashimi food shacks are available. We ate some hearty tuna donburi, massive oysters, and also an exotic sea pineapple or hoya. In addition, we also found Japanese premium Yubari King Melon slices for 800 yen, and it’s worth to try! Go at least on 5 am to see the famous auction of freshly caught tuna!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What can i say ..if you love fish particularly shashimi ..tis is the place to eat the fresh n delicious taste of fish. Tried the bluefin tuna and worth every yen i spent so delicious melted in ur mouth kind of food.