All reviews japanese style room top floor ueno park living room hot water walking distance rooftop terrace breakfast was included second home public bath temple bell outdoor bathtub recommend hotel lobby lounge japanese breakfast hotel is located minute walk
Reviewed 22 October 2018

The hotel is very well located in a quiet neighborhood but close to Akihabara and Ueno afoot.
The traditional rooms are big and really nice except the futon who are very hard.
I didn't have hot water in my bathroom so I had to use the public bath.
Very nice wifi and good breakfast.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2018

I travel to Japan every second year since 2004. Everytime I stayed in Hotel Edoya. It became a second home for me.

Location: The Hotel is in Yushima, half way between Ueno Park (and Ueno train station with Tohoku-Shinkansen) and Akihabara. With Chiyoda and Ginza subway line and Yamanoto and Chuo trains in walking distance it is a good starting point to explore Toyko.

The room: I always book the japanse style superior room. It is a litle bit like a tiny suite with a paper sliding door between living room and bedrom. It is all tatami. Shower and toilet are seperate rooms.

The room with the toilet is very small and the location of the bowl is a odd. Located in the center of the tiny room there is barely enough space for your knees.

The bathroom is japanese style with a bath tub and a place to wash. And here is the first "but". The bathrooms are unchanged at least since my first visit in 2004. They are old and there is limescale in the floor tiles. -- I don't mind because the hotel became my second home. BUT ... The look of the bathroom is not top-notch.

The second "but" is the carpet in the hallway. The carpet ist old and worn out. They really shoud replace it.

The third "but" is the breakfast: The breakfast is served in a seperate restaurant, but located in the same building. Looking back the last 14 years I think the quality was better in the past. Anyway: The breakfast offers japanese and western style food. And therefore I combine toast and coffee with miso soup tsukemono.

The "buts" indicates that the hotel is becomming old and really need a renovation. So, why I still stay at this hotel everytime I am in Japan?

Three reasons: (1) the location, (2) I got used to this place and (3) the service. The staff is very kind and helped me in the past years several times. Because of the staff of Hotel Edoya I was able to ring the temple bell at the buddhist temple during new year celebration.

I will stay in Hotel Edoya again, but ... they really should refurbish the place.

By the way: There is also a tiny rotenburo (public outdoor bath tub) on the roof. It ist nice to sit there, in the hot water, with the star above and the sound of the megacity around me. But ... there was a construction site next to hotel in 2018. I hope the rotemburo is still available in 2020 and not in direct view of the new building.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Wah this place cannot make it sia. Seriously hor, Hotel 81 also cleaner. Macam like Pulau Tekong lidat.... actually Pulau Tekong also better lor. To understand the condition of this place is ... well it has to be broken up into a few portions.

1. The hotel lobby itself is decently clean and the service is polite. So this one still ok.

2. The rooms are old and you will see stains here and there.. one point that made us really buay tahan was that we had a sharp metal object sticking out of one of our tatami. Wah Lao eh we only found out when we accidentally scratched our feet as we walked in the room. Jia lat, how can like that Sia. Japan must walk so much Liao, some more leg kena injury.

3. The beds were clean. That one lucky - else I would have given 1/5 le.

4. The air conditioning was musty. Like smelly musty ... u know those kind of like when your clothes never dry properly those kind of smell? Yah lidat lor.

5. The Bathroom was in our opinion a disaster. I wouldn’t dare soak in the tub. The door was rotting, the metals were rusting, the tiles were cracked, stains all over ... goodness me I’ve seen better maintained public bathrooms Lor. See my photos of this place and I will get what I mean lol

Overall, unless u sibeh on Budget, I don’t suggest this place for u. Maybe a business hotel like APA also better.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Comfortable environment where staff are very kind and helpful. Futon bed is very comfortable. Hotel has a homey feel. Conveniently near akiha bara for animu lovers. Will definitely stay again when visiting Japan.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Timothy W
Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

I stayed one night at this hotel a few days ago with my wife. The hotel is within 10 minutes walk up & down from the train station. The gentleman at the front desk was very polite & he can speak English well. The room was clean and designed like a standard Japanese style one bedroom house with the toilet separate from the Japanese style bathroom. We slept in a tatami style bed.There is an onsen in the hotel but we did not try it. Japanese breakfast was served at the local restaurant next door and the choice was good. There are a few small local Japanese restaurant around the hotel. I would recommend this hotel if you would like to experience living as a local for a few nights.

Date of stay: May 2018