“interesting tour; no need for a guide to take you here”
Review of Cafeteria La Voz

Cafeteria La Voz
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 10
Description: The La Voz cooperative was created by people from the Tz'utujil Mayan cultures with visions of producing and marketing 100% organic coffee. Due to the structure and the ideas of growth, the committee and partners implement sustainable development activities for the good of the cooperative La voz
Reviewed 20 June 2018

Take a tuk tuk or hire a private car to take you to San Juan if you are in neighboring San Pedro.

There are 2 tours--short version and long version. We did the long version which took about 2 hours.

The tour was all in Spanish but she spoke slowly. It would have been interesting even if I understood nothing. (I have very basic Spanish anyway, but others in my family translated more difficult words.)

It is an easy loop walk into the areas where the cooperative farmers grown coffee and other plants. There is also a weaving cooperative here so you could arrange a weaving class is you wanted to.

Tasted the differences in the coffees afterwards, including several roasting methods we don't get in the states.

We visited in June--Guatemalan winter--so there were no beans being processed. This was good in June, but would be even more visually stimulating in winter when the harvest is happening.

Afterwards walked to a local restaurant Alma de Colores which is run by special needs adults.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 27 May 2018

After taking a tour of the coffee cooperative, I have an entirely new appreciation for the coffee that I drink. From the process of organic planting and cultivation, through to the harvesting and preparation of the beans - everything is so labor intensive! I will savor my coffee as never before now that I have this knowledge.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

This was the highlight of our visit to San Juan and a favorite of our week on the Lake. One of the members of the coffee coop, Paula, gave us an impressive tour, including not only info about the processing of the beans but also about the cooperative model itself. The democratic and consensus process makes the corporate model look like an oppressive dinosaur. The coop has helped San Juan become a model of harmony and cooperation, unlike some of the other pueblos locked in distrust. Paula models woman’s leadership. Be sure to tip her for the free tour. The coffee she treated us to was fabulous!

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank BeastiePV
Reviewed 24 December 2017

This is a very interesting place. Senor Lucas Bizzaro, the son of one of the founders of the cooperative gave us a wonderful tour, with great details of how the coffee beans are harvested, processed and marketed. You could see the genuine passion he brings into the cooperative. I highly recommend the tour and some time with Senor Lucas.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Sushant H
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Very interesting and informative tour provided by the locals who are involved with the co-operative. Outstanding value for 75Q (c.£7.50) each and you certainly get your moneys worth.

The coffee included in the ticket price was excellent and I ended up buying coffee to take home with me.

In terms of getting there, my wife and I paid 10Q each for a tuktuk from San Pedro to get to the centre of San Juan and La Voz is a short walk from there.

Thoroughly recommend doing the tour - one of the highlights of my trip so far.

Date of visit: November 2017