Hotel Thomas(Torregrotta)
Il Cardo(Torregrotta)
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 October 2016

Isolated from most things and beach not for sunbathing. Pool looked lovely and cleanliness of hotel was good. However, there is no restaurant and as the hotel is not near facilities you need a car to drive somewhere for food. When asked where we could eat the receptionist didn't elaborate on restaurants in other towns. There is no lift so be warned if you are elderly with heavy bags. No tea or coffee facilities in room so breakfast is the only thing you can get which is very poor - ham, cheese (very dry), rolls, croissants that at times were burnt. cereal choice was cornflakes and a few pieces of fruit, choice of orange and water. Thats it except for tea/coffee. The eating area was always with staff/family chatting at small bar or watching football (on continuously). The first room we had the electrics failed so we had to move and the second room we had ants in the bed so had to have our sheets changed and bed area fumigated. Towels in bathroom were more like tea towels and hairdryer was impossible to use for long hair. A party was on whilst there in the pool area which we were not warned of so the music, rowdy party goers and eventually them going to hotel rooms (banging doors and shouting) kept us awake after a day of sights seeing. We found another hotel hence to say.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol B
Reviewed 9 October 2016

Before I tell you about the hotel let me give you directions so unlike us you’ll find it without too much hassle. After ensuring my tom-tom was fully charged before leaving the UK to my horror I found out the day before the battery was a goner. So after leaving Catania airport head to the Autostrada direction Messina at the first fork on the slip road take the right-hand one. It is then plain sailing to Messina outskirts, the road then changes to the A20 heading Palermo. After the toll take the exit Rometta then the ss113 (via nationale) for about 7.8 km direction Palermo. In Torregrotta you will see on the LHS a blue hotel sign for Redebora, indicating a right turn. Half way down the street becomes one way. Take a right, left, left then left to come the right way up the one way street. Hotel situated down a small street on the right.
The hotel is a family owned hotel and have English speaking staff. The rooms are not huge but have all the necessary facilities for your stay. Our room had a small balcony and was on the first floor. Our room was cleaned and made tidy while we ate breakfast. Breakfast the only meal the hotel provides in its restaurant on the ground floor adjacent to reception. You can eat there or in the small courtyard outside which is very pretty with a fantastic array of flowering shrubs. The breakfast is typically continental with cornflakes, cold meat, cheese, yogurt and croissants. As my wife is a vegetarian she bought some tomatoes in the local supermarket to supplement. If I were to make a suggestion to the hotel it would be that they could supply additional protein for vegetarians in the shape of a boiled egg. There is a swimming pool outside but at the time of our visit it required great fortitude to swim as it was a tad on the cool side.
Trips to local cities or attractions can be booked with the hotel. We went by car to Taormina, train to Messina and a boat trip to Stromboli. If you want to train it to Messina or Palermo then tickets must be bought beforehand at the tabacchi at the lights at the top of the road. No station personnel at Torregrotta. The station itself is about a km from the hotel and has a free car park outside. Car parking in Palermo and Messina is difficult, expensive and driving in and especially out not for the fainthearted. Our trip to Stromboli was organised through the hotel, a young couple will drive you to Milazzo purchase your tickets and return you to the hotel (50 €), don’t pay the extra for the meals as they are ****. It’s a late pickup as you spend the evening at sea hoping to see the Stromboli firework display, ours was a damp squid.
Overall we had a good time and would recommend the hotel.
On the way home take the exit Asse dei servizi off the A18 to the airport it’s only a couple of miles to the airport.

Room Tip: first floor,not poolside.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lynda3491
Reviewed 26 September 2010

A very nice hotel in a charming place surrounded with beautiful flowers. The room was quiet, lovely and comfortable.
There's also a pool we could'nt use because it was booked for a party.
People are very nice and the breakfast was really good and typically italian. The best capuccino we've ever taken! The people there made us feeling good, very convivial.
You can take the key with you and come back late at night.
The negative point (the only one) is that this place is far from Milazzo (if you want to get there!), you must have a car (20 mn to the castle).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank beaecharles
Reviewed 10 April 2010

A good location between Messina and Milazzo, near the sea (a plus- if you come in the summer, though the hotel has an outdoor swimming pool).
Staff was helpful and speaks good English.
Room was spacious. Free Internet and free parking.
Breakfast is very basic and variety needs an upgrade!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank avihub
Reviewed 10 July 2008

I stayed at the Redebora when I went to Sicily to find my family. I went alone, didn't speak the language, and didn't even know where to go to find my relatives. I was kindly put up by this hotel by a travel agency I found near the bus stop in Messina. Redebora knew everything about me, and were expecting my arrival. They were incredibly supportive of my mission to locate my family, gave me an unbelievable rate (I was a student) and literally treated me like I was one of their own. The staff was so charming and helpful knowing I was basically lost, helped me to find people who could help me in my quest, and helped me every step of the way through language barriers and beyond.

Not only was I impressed by the way I was treated, the room was simply amazing. It was charming, clean, and had a beautiful view of the sea (which is only about a block away).

The food at nearby restaurants is fantastic, and i highly recommend visiting the winery down the street. Not only did the owners of the winery help me to find my relatives (yes! I did find them!) but they have some great wine! They sent me home with several bottles of their finest and it is truly great vino.

I absolutely recommend this hotel. It is everything you would expect from a small Italian village hotel and much, much more.

• Stayed: December 2004, travelled solo