“Can't wait to return”

Ranked #1 of 3 Schiltach B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Can't wait to return”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We made a big mistake by booking this hotel in September for 2 nights - it should have been 2 weeks! Where do I start? The owners of this cosy and welcoming hotel, Michael and Lisa, and the staff, were the best we experienced in 8 weeks of travelling Europe. So friendly and helpful, they took a sincere interest in our short visit, with advice on things to do and always happy for a chat. The Bulgarian waiter (I apologise for forgetting your name) had our bags in our room before we could blink and his genial manner and sense of humour always brought a smile to our face. The food was fantastic (fresh local trout - delicious), the room was very clean and comftable, and the location just beautiful. Schilach is such a gorgeous town, more half-timbered houses than you can shake a stick at, and best of all - no tourist groups! It's a great base for exploring the Black Forest, with lots of picturesque towns just a short bicycle ride or train trip away (and public transport is FREE when you stay in the Black Forest!)
Michael and Lisa, thanks for a great experience, we'll be back soon. The Taylors

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river have wonderful view
2 Thank PAUL T
Mogler, Owner at Zur Alten Brucke, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thanks so much for posting the wonderful review of our hotel. We really appreciate your comments and feel the same way about you, it was wonderful having you and we were sad to see you leave. Please come back if you are in the area. Lisa & Michael
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Shepherd, Michigan
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We had a terrific experience with our stay at Zur Alten Brucke. We were literally greeted at the door step and within minutes felt like we were talking with old friends. We headed to the riverside biergarten and just giggled with delight. Seriously. We've turned into grateful nerds in our old age. A good room, warm hosts, great food, and cold beer make us absolutely giddy! Our room was enormous and also had shampoo and soap (not often available). On our second night, we decided to try Michael's cooking. I admit, I was wondering how great food could come out of a relatively small setting. Lisa gave us the heads up on a local specialty and I must confess - it knocked my socks off. Wish I could have taken some with me. I suppose if you are a cranky, stodgy person you may not like it here. If that does not describe you, go and have a most wonderful time. It's a beautiful area, charming little town, and great place to lay your head and fill your tummy!

1 Thank luckygreen
Mogler, Owner at Zur Alten Brucke, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you so much for posting the review and sorry for my late reply. We really enjoyed your visit (as did our dog, Max) and hope to see you again. Michael and Lisa (and Max)
South Africa
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Do not stay in this hotel if you want 5 star luxury, but DO stay here if you want a 5 star warm and caring welcome, an affordable family hotel, a lovely view, a large room and a historic setting. As part of our trip, we've experienced the luxury of the Hilton in Athens, the Du Roy in Paris, the Artemis Villas in Santorini, but nothing came close to our experience of the Zur Alten Brucke. Luybo, the Bulgarian? waiter / barman that always laughs and brings a smile to your face, Heidi (not blonde) that took great care of our large room, the owners Michael and Lisa that took interest and made suggestions on what to do, and Max the dog that was always begging for titbits from our table. Michael is truly a great chef - my son ate his Maultaschen (highly recommended) every evening! No lift, but I liked the creaking stairs and the thought of the 1000's of previous visitors using it over the years! We loved the historic setting of the village, witnessed a 3 generation family chopping wood in the centre of town and hoisting it up to the attic etc. Parking is a bit of an issue, but is available. A supermarket, laundry, banks and chemist is close by. Schiltach is the perfect location for a visit to the Schwarzwald. We intend staying again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room the overlooks the river.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Mogler, Owner at Zur Alten Brucke, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you for everything and especially for the beautiful review. It was wonderful having you here and we thank you so much for making you part of your holiday plans. Please come visit again if you are in our area. Michael and Lisa (and Max)
Kurri Kurri, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2011

When I read all the positive reviews already posted for the “Zur Alten Brucke” hotel, I wonder what I can add? It is completely true that you will feel as welcomed as long lost old friends returning home, this is genuine and not false. We were a family of 6 adults aged from mid 30’s to late 70’s and we all felt the same. Our holiday included some 30 nights in different hotels through out Germany, including the Hotel Adlon Kempinski in Berlin, The Hilton in Dresden, Sommersdorf castle in Ansbach, Gasthaus Hackteufel in Heidelberg, Breuer’s Rudesheimer Schloss in Rhudesheim, Ringhotel – Der Waldkater in Rinteln, Hotel Gerberhaus in Rothenberg ob der Tauber, Hotel Laimer Hof in Munchin all impressive buildings and some in the most perfect positions with professional staff, all hotels where clean the smaller places like the Gerberhaus and Hotel Laimer Hof where also very friendly but still the Alten Brucke stands out and deffinately has something more. I believe it comes down to the comittment of Micheal and Lisa to provide a place where guests can feel as relaxed as they would at home. We were also impressed with their waiter “Lublov” (I know I have spelt his name wrong and for that I appologies) we found him to add real joy to our meal times through his great sence of humor and like most that visit, Max (dog) also added to the homely environment. Micheal is a good cook and the food was very good, we found something on the menu for all our varied tastes, breakfast was fresh, plentiful and enjoyable, I found the bed in my room too hard BUT it was better than most beds I slept in, I guess its very individual. I thought the tapestries hanging in different rooms interesting to see. It was difficult for my 78year old mother and myself (unfit and over-weight) to climb the stairs to the second floor (no lift) BUT again we experienced this through-out Germany particularly in the beautiful historic buildings which we understood. Schiltach is quiet and pretty and central to most of the Black Forrest. 5 stars from me, we would stay again. Thank you from the Damerau family.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Mogler, Owner at Zur Alten Brucke, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Wow, thanks so much for your review. We are a small business and really appreciate what our customers have done for us by writing. It was wonderful having you visit and we hope to see you soon. We certainly hope the rest of your tri was meaningful and fun! Michael and Lisa
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 October 2011

What a wonderful place this is! After driving from Paris and all the hustle and bustle of the big city, we arrived here. We were immediatly welcomed by the owners and given our room. They then suggested we go to their biergarten directly across the road located on the small river that runs through the town. I felt at home as soon as I sat down and was served a cold beer! The hosts were amazing! Lisa provides a home like atmosphere, and Michael WOW can you cook mate!! We so wished we had more than one night with them. If you want a stop in a small village in Germany, then this is the place for you! We hope to return someday!

1 Thank David M
Mogler, Owner at Zur Alten Brucke, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you so much – first for staying with us and brightening our day and second for the wonderful review. We too completely enjoyed having you and we hope to see you again. Michael & Lisa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiltach
3.1 km away
19.5 km away
Hotel Central Garni
Hotel Central Garni
#2 of 7 in Triberg

Been to Zur Alten Brucke? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK