All reviews function room lounge bar scallops steak and kidney pie sunday carvery generous portions place to eat live music car park potatoes lovely meal the staff were friendly and helpful well worth a visit fresh fish cooked to perfection full english fishing village
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I returned to The Dolphin Hotel for dinner after staying for a week last year. The fresh seafood was excellent - compliments to the brilliant kitchen staff. We had scallops and bacon and plaice fillets, which were both splendid.

Although I complained in my last review that much of the unique style and character of this hotel has been obliterated by recent ground floor refurbishments, I must add that the beautifully tilled entrance hall, main corridor and internal strained glass windows remain intact and really make this hotel a special and memorable place - and the Long Bar is a great location to have a pint. Although sadly the over-lit 'modern' lounge bar and stark dining room are at odds with the other more stylish touches of this historic hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
dolphinhotelbeer, Front Office Manager at The Dolphin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Thank you for your review of The Dolphin Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your meals with us. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Our local while on holiday, nice food, think we sampled pretty much everything on the menu, the salads are huge ! Great selection of local fish with daily specials.
We ate in the long bar with a great atmosphere, friendly staff and locals.
We stayed the week before regatta - some live music which was a bonus, a shame we missed the open mic night.
Weekends get busy when the local youngsters all come out to play. Creating a nice party atmosphere.
Very dog friendly. Thanks all, hopefully we will return.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Had Sunday Lunch here. The restaurant was very quiet and lacked atmosphere, although the carvery in a different room was very busy.
Food was fine. Nothing special.
My main complaint relates to my request for 125mls of wine.
The wine menu quoted 175 and 250, and the waitress initially said she couldn't serve 125mls. I found the very small print at the bottom of the list that stated that 125mls is available on request.
It is a Licensing Law requirement to serve 125 if requested, and as I have a medical condition that limits alcohol intake, i was glad that I was served with a small glass.
When the bill arrived, I had been billed for 175 mls.
I queried this with the waitress, who queried it with the bar.
The response was that 175 minimum charge, and the till wasn't set up for a different amount.
My view that I should have been informed at the time of serving was ignored.
I later contacted the hotel via Messenger, to express my disappointment.
6 weeks later, I haven't had the courtesy of a reply.
Would not return there.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gottago57
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely stay in this family run hotel, it's dog friendly & was very relaxing. The Breakfast full English was delicious,We also had a couple of meals in the evening which were very good.I will definitely stay again next time we are in Beer

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of The Dolphin Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Staff were polite, restaurant was clean and looking good.
Children's meal was lovely and our son enjoyed it. Our lamb roast was disappointing. The roast potatoes were rock hard and ruined the meal so put us off having desert. When asked if everything was ok when the lady cleared the table, I said the potatoes were hard and the lady said nothing. Maybe we should have sent them back but we struggled through them. My husband and I were disappointed with the mediocre standard of the meal with the hard potatoes. It seemed like they'd been heated up since lunch! We paid and left feeling unsatisfied and will never return again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicola M
dolphinhotelbeer, Front Office Manager at The Dolphin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Thank you for your review of The Dolphin Hotel. We are sorry you did not enjoy your meals with us. Your comments have been noted with the Kitchen. We would however welcome you back