All reviewsin townceiling faneaster islandhot waterreception buildinghotel restaurant islovely hotelsmall poolthe pacific oceanchillilocal museumrapa nuiwatch the sunsetfour nightsrooms are largeno air conditioningpost office
Reviewed 1 October 2017

A lovely hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The 'rooms' are all based on the old boat huts that the Rapa Nui people once lived in, and ours was clean and well apportioned. While technically part of Chile, Easter Island is actually Polynesian and the weather is more tropical. This means you will get insect and gecko visitors to your rooms so be warned. The insects were not a problem (no mosquitoes bothered us) and the geckos are tiny - about an inch and a half long. The room had a very impressive bed with posts that were ornately carved and appeared to be supporting the roof. We were the furthest hut from the main hotel building, and this made for wonderfully quiet and relaxing evenings. A short walk away, you have a single moai standing guard on the beach, and if you go early or late, you are likely to have him to yourself. The hotel restaurant is decent enough, but stay with local dishes, and remember that most things need to be flown in. The ceviche was lovely - the pizza was not particularly good. Frankly, serves me right for ordering pizza.
Easter Island is a delight to visit, and while they are starting to provide little barriers (ok - ropes strung between posts) to protect many of the tourist areas, it is still largely unspoilt and not too touristy. If you know anyone who likes postcards, the little Post Office in Hanga Roa sells an Easter Island stamp that you can use...all other mail will get standard Chilean stamps.
This is a rather lovely little upper-mid hotel and if we ever head back this way, it's where we will stay.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ARM16
Reviewed 30 September 2017

A recommendation I'm pleased I followed. Travelling alone, I was well looked after by all the staff of this great hotel, in a lovely location. As I was checking-in, a pod of whales appeared offshore; and one night, a group of officials from South Pacific nations stayed, and as the night went on, produced accordions, guitars and made a choir, singing and dancing to songs from their homelands. Magical.

Room was fine; no A/C, but an effective fan. Breakfast more than adequate; dined in one night - local tuna, and a good fish soup. Reception most helpful in making recommendations, booking trips and taxis, and drinks when needed.

Thank you all for an unforgettable few days.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 31 August 2017

I really enjoyed my stay at Altiplanico Rapa Nui. I chose this hotel precisely because it was not in town. I was seeking a tranquil relaxing location with magnificient ocean views and Altiplanico Rapa Nui has all these tenfold. And I loved the rooms built like overturned ship hulls painted in a graphic black and white pattern that is very much in keeping with the visual culture of the island. My room/cabin was number 1, beside the main dining reception building. It was so quiet, lovely. My room faced the ocean, you can literaly lie in bed, open the sliding window/doors between you and the ocean and watch the sunset. It was absolutely stunning! There was also a seating area outside my cabin. This being Rapa Nui, don't be surprised if you see a horse walk by your cabin. The room decor was Rapa Nui minimal - just perfect! And the shower was great, good pressure, hot water, ceiling fan, safe box, and overall the room was very clean and the breakfast was excellent - lots to choose from. The receptionist Beatriz was very helpful and hospitable. I highly recommend Altiplanico Rapa Nui.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that directly faces the ocean, Room #1 was amazing!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2017

I had extremely high hopes and expectations for this 4-star hotel on Easter Island and I am happy to report that it succeeded in virtually every category.

This review is for rooms 1 and 2. We were a family of four who stayed here from August 9-14, 2017.

The location is very good, with close proximity to the local museum and only about a 5-minute drive or 25-minute stroll to Hanga Roa, the town with all of the fine cafes and restaurants, attractive stores and dynamic cultural experiences (e.g. Kari Kari).

Both rooms were spacious with a minimalistic decor and atmosphere which lent itself well to the natural surroundings. The bed was firm and comfortable. There was a nice work area as well as a small seating area. There was also ample storage space between two curtains. The bathroom had a lot of character, with a tiled shower area, good vanity and counter space and separate toilet area. I commend the hotel for displaying stellar environmental credentials by using large reusable bottles of soap, shampoo and conditioner. Our rooms were also next to the adorable pool, although we did not have a chance to use it.

The rooms also had a very functional ceiling fan, which I'm sure will become extra useful during the summer months. There were also mosquito nets in the event those pesky critters are a bit of a bother.

However, I think the best selling point for Altiplanico is its outstanding service, both at reception and at the restaurant. Everyone spoke decent English, had a positive and friendly attitude and really cared about our experiences on the island. Besides our room comfort, they would frequently ask about our plans for the day or make an effort to get to know us more deeply. I guess that comes with the territory but you can tell that they were all genuine. The best example of this first-rate service is upon check-out, the receptionist provided each of us with a moai necklace to cap off our glorious stay on Rapa Nui. We can now look at that necklace and have nothing but fond memories of the hotel, the amazing staff and the wonderful locals.

I do need to offer some critiques despite thoroughly enjoying our stay here. Breakfast is definitely very basic, with a heavy emphasis on sweets. (Those desserts were works of art, although I'm not sure everyone wants to inject themselves with all that sugar and all those calories so early in the morning!) In addition, we had dinner during one of the evenings and were astonished by the exorbitant prices. USD$30 for all of the main courses, USD$30 for seafood soup and USD$15 for vanilla ice cream are definitely extremely expensive, even for a destination that needs to import all of its food and goods. To add insult to injury, we really heard great things about their pizzas but when we attempted to order them, we were informed that they were not available that evening. Mind you that they were also USD$30 each, so they better be good for that amount of money! Lastly, it would have been nice to have a limited shuttle service to Hanga Roa, since it was only about a 5-minute drive. It simply is inconvenient to call a cab or rent a car to head to town when it is so close and a hotel of its high ranking can easily put together a service to assist its guests.

All in all, I was really impressed with Hotel Altiplanico. If we are fortunate enough to visit Easter Island (Rapa Nui / Isla de Pascua) again in the future, we would definitely ignore Explora and its heinous USD$1000 price tag and say hello again to Hotel Altiplanico. They treat their guests like royalty, all with a Polynesian twist and island hospitality!! Well done!

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 7 July 2017

It's an island in the middle of the Pacific so I think the review has to reflect the limitations and characteristics of the locale. Anyplace else I would say this place was not a good four star experience and should be avoided, and of course is overpriced for what you get. For here, I would say we were satisfied and enjoyed our stay. The location is peaceful and beautiful, strategically located a reasonable walk from the town, or better if you have your own rental car. The included breakfasts were ample and tasty, though a bit heavy on the sweets. The rooms are large with comfortable bedding and interesting design, but not luxurious by any stretch. In fact they were pretty beat up and rough around the edges, like stained bathroom sink counter and cracked walls. No hot water one morning, and barely adequate the other days. Service was acceptable, though also rough. For example one day we left our towels on floor as instructed to have them changed, and maid simply hung them up off the floor to dry. Like I said, any place else this would be unacceptable. And there are warnings about a charge being assessed if you make stains on the towels, kind of obnoxious. Overall though, given the other options and the spectacular uniqueness of Rapa Nui, we were happy with our short stay.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family