All reviewsin townceiling faneaster islandhot waterreception buildinghotel restaurant islovely hotelsmall poolthe pacific oceanchillilocal museumrapa nuiwatch the sunsetfour nightsrooms are largeno air conditioningpost office
Reviewed 23 August 2017

I had extremely high hopes and expectations for this 4-star hotel on Easter Island and I am happy to report that it succeeded in virtually every category.

This review is for rooms 1 and 2. We were a family of four who stayed here from August 9-14, 2017.

The location is very good, with close proximity to the local museum and only about a 5-minute drive or 25-minute stroll to Hanga Roa, the town with all of the fine cafes and restaurants, attractive stores and dynamic cultural experiences (e.g. Kari Kari).

Both rooms were spacious with a minimalistic decor and atmosphere which lent itself well to the natural surroundings. The bed was firm and comfortable. There was a nice work area as well as a small seating area. There was also ample storage space between two curtains. The bathroom had a lot of character, with a tiled shower area, good vanity and counter space and separate toilet area. I commend the hotel for displaying stellar environmental credentials by using large reusable bottles of soap, shampoo and conditioner. Our rooms were also next to the adorable pool, although we did not have a chance to use it.

The rooms also had a very functional ceiling fan, which I'm sure will become extra useful during the summer months. There were also mosquito nets in the event those pesky critters are a bit of a bother.

However, I think the best selling point for Altiplanico is its outstanding service, both at reception and at the restaurant. Everyone spoke decent English, had a positive and friendly attitude and really cared about our experiences on the island. Besides our room comfort, they would frequently ask about our plans for the day or make an effort to get to know us more deeply. I guess that comes with the territory but you can tell that they were all genuine. The best example of this first-rate service is upon check-out, the receptionist provided each of us with a moai necklace to cap off our glorious stay on Rapa Nui. We can now look at that necklace and have nothing but fond memories of the hotel, the amazing staff and the wonderful locals.

I do need to offer some critiques despite thoroughly enjoying our stay here. Breakfast is definitely very basic, with a heavy emphasis on sweets. (Those desserts were works of art, although I'm not sure everyone wants to inject themselves with all that sugar and all those calories so early in the morning!) In addition, we had dinner during one of the evenings and were astonished by the exorbitant prices. USD$30 for all of the main courses, USD$30 for seafood soup and USD$15 for vanilla ice cream are definitely extremely expensive, even for a destination that needs to import all of its food and goods. To add insult to injury, we really heard great things about their pizzas but when we attempted to order them, we were informed that they were not available that evening. Mind you that they were also USD$30 each, so they better be good for that amount of money! Lastly, it would have been nice to have a limited shuttle service to Hanga Roa, since it was only about a 5-minute drive. It simply is inconvenient to call a cab or rent a car to head to town when it is so close and a hotel of its high ranking can easily put together a service to assist its guests.

All in all, I was really impressed with Hotel Altiplanico. If we are fortunate enough to visit Easter Island (Rapa Nui / Isla de Pascua) again in the future, we would definitely ignore Explora and its heinous USD$1000 price tag and say hello again to Hotel Altiplanico. They treat their guests like royalty, all with a Polynesian twist and island hospitality!! Well done!

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 7 July 2017

It's an island in the middle of the Pacific so I think the review has to reflect the limitations and characteristics of the locale. Anyplace else I would say this place was not a good four star experience and should be avoided, and of course is overpriced for what you get. For here, I would say we were satisfied and enjoyed our stay. The location is peaceful and beautiful, strategically located a reasonable walk from the town, or better if you have your own rental car. The included breakfasts were ample and tasty, though a bit heavy on the sweets. The rooms are large with comfortable bedding and interesting design, but not luxurious by any stretch. In fact they were pretty beat up and rough around the edges, like stained bathroom sink counter and cracked walls. No hot water one morning, and barely adequate the other days. Service was acceptable, though also rough. For example one day we left our towels on floor as instructed to have them changed, and maid simply hung them up off the floor to dry. Like I said, any place else this would be unacceptable. And there are warnings about a charge being assessed if you make stains on the towels, kind of obnoxious. Overall though, given the other options and the spectacular uniqueness of Rapa Nui, we were happy with our short stay.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank gil123
Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

This lovely place slightly​ off the city center is a great place for your sanctuary. It has a great view of the Pacific ocean that you can enjoy sunset. Service and food are very good. The room is comfortable. Wifi is only available at the lobby. There's free flow coffee and tea all day at the lobby. There are romantic corner out door outside the lobby for you to savour the Pacific ocean.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2017

During a recent stay on Easter Island, I could have stayed in a $1000/night resort. I decided instead to stay at the charming Hotel Altiplanico, in part, because it had good reviews and the price was right. I was not disappointed. It was very quiet there. I spent most of my time, when I was not touring, on the patio just off the restaurant. With the gentle breezes, I was comfortable lounging by the pool and watching the beautiful sunsets each night, while drinking excellent Chilean wine.

There was even some excitement one morning, when I discovered that one of the horses that roam freely about the property had fallen into the pool. It took the better part of a day to finally pull the beast out of the water. It provided the day's entertainment.

The food and wine were very good. Dinner could be bought as a three-course meal or a la carte. The food, though very plentiful, was quite expensive, probably because it is all imported. The staff gave excellent food and wine suggestions. Breakfast was a buffet.

My room was large and comfortable, although with no air conditioning or screens, it could get quite hot. There were ceiling fans though. The bathroom was also large with the shower in another small room. There was plenty of hot water. Like many remote islands, the sewage system was not to our standards. Toilet paper had to be put in the trash.

In summary, I really liked Hotel Altiplanico. The staff made me feel welcome and took care of my needs, such as confirming my tour and getting me a cab to the airport. I highly recommend this hotel for budget-minded travelers.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank wahunt
Reviewed 5 March 2017

I can't imagine our week on the island would have been nearly as enjoyable if we'd stayed anywhere else! All of the hotel staff were lovely and caring. At the end of the week, I was as sad to leave them as I was to leave the island itself!

The individual bungalow was a nice bit of autonomy and the view was serene. Truly 5 stars.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple