“ Nice, but not the best”
Review of Donna Lisa - CLOSED

Donna Lisa
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The restaurant surroundings were very nice, however the portion sizes (starters) were far too big and therefore it was difficult to finish the pasta dishes. It seemed like the owner was quite unhappy with our lack of consuming everything.. the food was tasty, however certainly have tasted much better in the area and for a lot less.

Also told them that my son was strict vegetarian, however served us mussels!!

Would not return..

Reviewed 14 July 2017

Stumbled across this restaurant when the one we tried to get in had a wedding on!!

We only had the "second" (main) course and were glad we did - portions were very generous. I had the tuna steaks (though billed as tagliatelle tuna there was no sign of the tagliatelle, but that might be the fault of my non-existent Italian!!) and my wife had the entrecôte steak. Both were delicious and in truth I had two courses 'cos I had to finish my wife's as she couldn't manage it all.

Service was by Donna (or Lisa, or Donna Lisa!!) and she was very helpful despite not speaking too much English.

Apart from us all the other clientele were Italian - which is always a good sign. And a wide variety from couples, individuals and families.

Not the restaurant's fault but a travelling busker came in for a bit - not up to much!! Someone should try and tune his guitar for him!!

Fully recommend it if you can work out what the menu says - if not, you'll enjoy it anyway!!

Reviewed 25 April 2017

The building and the atmosphere is authentic Puglia: I sat in the courtyard and could see local families coming and going. The food was good local produce and well cooked, nothing too fancy. The service was pleasant, although there were a few language barriers but what do you expect in a still relatively untouched and unspoiled part of Italy. It's always nice to see Italian families out with the little ones until the early hours. The house wine was good and reasonably priced.

Reviewed 28 September 2016

This restaurant was recommended to us by the Masseria we stayed. We already had seen this restaurant earlier this year but had no time to visit it. The place is easy to find since it is at one of the main roads in Maglie's city centre. Easy access when you walk there. when we arrived at the Restaurant, we were approx guests 9&10 of this nice warm evening and we were seated outside (al fresco) which is really nice.
We ordered our food and drinks and the waiting session started. The mineral water arrived fast and the primi was also served soon. As mentioned in other reviews, the size of the primi , in my case a spaghetti con vongole, is HUGE and I can't appreciate this. Suppose that a lot of persons do not manage to finish their primi and this means food waste. What apity. The quality of the pasta was fine but the "house wine" was a disgrace. Approx 30 min later, also another couple complained. We do not know what was wrong with this "wine" but from our perspective it was more a vinegar than a wine. We told this after a first sip and the wine was replaced without any further comment. In the meantime there were approx 25- 30 guests to manage and we complained after approx 45 minutes if they might have forgotten our secondo. We really do think they did. Preparing 5 Gamberonis in a sizzling hot pan does not take 45 minutes. After this complaint it took another felt 10 minutes before the food arrived. Are we going to recommend the place, Sorry, no, we will not. There are many more places in Maglie which we will discover first before coming back to this place.

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

This is one of those places I hadn't researched on TA. 5 of us were just deciding on whether to stay or leave Maglie when we passed by. Dona Lisa looked so inviting that we decided to have lunch and are very glad we did. Service was friendly and understanding that we wanted to "share everything". Our only error was underestimating portion size. But that is our mistake not theirs. And if I was going to be picky one of our group found the dishes had too much pepper. Other than that we loved the covered terrace setting and quiet garden ambience. The food was very good. Would definitely go back.