All reviews village pub the secret garden afternoon tea spa treatments private garden potager restaurant relaxation room junior suite sorbet hotel restaurant hydrotherapy pool potting shed homemade biscuits little touches huge bathroom mini moon rosemary verey
Reviewed 22 March 2016 via mobile

Beautiful location, beautiful grounds, nice fluffy robes and slippers, clean warm changing rooms, really lovely pretreatment relaxation room. I had a CACI facial, including microdermasion, the treatment itself was great and I had a lovely therapist but I was really disappointed that after all the lovely products my skin was finished with Nivea body sunscreen, surely there are better SPFs to finish such a premium treatment! I went home and washed it off! I was also disappointed with the testers (Aromatherapy Associates) on display at the reception, two of them were very slightly off (I own a therapy centre and shop and am always on the look out for this).
Other than that it was wonderful, so thank you. Faith

Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank adventuringexploring
Reviewed 15 March 2016

We have just celebrated our Golden Wedding Anniversary at this amazing country hotel.
It is without doubt one of the best hotels I have experienced. The staff, service, food and accommodation are faultless. The setting in beautiful gardens with a lovely spa is superb.
The Village Pub is also part of the facilities and is situated very close to the hotel. This is a beautiful Cotswold pub providing excellent food and service and an alternative venue to the hotel.
We stayed in the Secret Garden Suite which is quite amazing and unique.
As this was a special celebration we asked for a number of extra services which were all delivered perfectly as promised providing an incredible occasion for us.

Room Tip: Secret Garden Suite
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian T
Reviewed 6 March 2016

I had driven past Barnsley House many times and thought it looked lovely, but had never had an opportunity to stay, but as a birthday surprise I was finally given my chance.

We arrived early as we had bookings at the spa, left our luggage and quickly started relaxing. After our treatments we had a late lunch (very good) and were then shown to our room (no. 5), which was gorgeous. The bathroom was one of the best I’ve ever had and certainly the most unique. The bedroom was also a very good size.

I was then treated to a surprise reception in the Garden Room and a private screening in the cinema (organised by my wife), which was fantastic. I loved it and our guests had a great time as well. We then headed over to the Village Pub for dinner and that was equally enjoyable.

There were only three (very) small points that I noticed. 1) Our huge double was actually two single mattresses put together. I assume this is so that the room can be transformed in to a twin if necessary, although the headboard suggested that would rarely happen. 2) The staff were great, but the waiting staff seemed to have been trained to say ‘enjoy’, which didn’t worry me, but was noticeable and finally 3) waking up to birdsong in the morning is wonderful, but the birds don’t care if you want a lie-in, so if you’re a light sleeper ear plugs may help.

Apart from these three very small niggles, everything about our trip was wonderful. Our room, the spa, the cinema, the food and the staff were all of a high quality. Of course with quality comes a rather hefty bill, but I did still feel as though we were receiving value for money.

Highly recommended and I’m looking forward to finding another chance to visit.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrHandBaggageOnly
Reviewed 1 March 2016

Having had an enjoyable Sunday lunch in the Village Pub to start with we moved across to the main hotel to take advantage of the spa facilities and get ready for a dinner there with friends. My wife and I both had hot stone massages - you should try these!

Our room was spacious and had plenty of modern features, including be able to shower on the upper level whilst watching TV on the ground floor wall through the enormous panelled glass in the bathroom. Very ingenious...

Dinner was pleasurable, the food and service were nice and the bar at the end of the evening in front of a log fire was very relaxing. All in all a nice weekend...my only complaint was the intermittent wi-fi.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nick S
Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

I took my wife to Barnsley for a special birthday celebration. From start to finish it was a wonderful trip and the hotel and staff made it all the more special from both of us. The room was a perfect refuge with huge bed, ensuite bathroom fit for the King and sitting area with wood burning stove. Wonderful.
Food, staff and ambience all five star. Even down to the tranquil spa and gardens and loan bikes. Can highly recommend.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple