If you are looking for the perfect place to unwind for a day or two , look no further than the Devonshire Arms . In winter the hotel exudes an air of cosiness throughout its warm reception area and several lounges .
We found the decor to be of a good standard with our Wharfedale room having been refurbished with a mix of an antique chest of drawers and contemporary furnishings . A well equiped swimming pool complex also has a jacuzzi , steam room , sauna , and cold plunge pool . Free access to Bolton Abbey is a bonus with some great walks available to work off the inevitable over-indulgence when it comes to the hotel's food .
Starting with afternoon tea we were treated to some of the best food in the country . For a very reasonable cost of around £13 ( inclusive of service charge - not something I am keen on ) I was treated to a large plate of delicious sandwiches , scone with all the trimmings , Parkin cake , and a large pot of tea . My wife went for the sweet tooth option of a scone and three or four cakes . How anyone manages to eat their way through the full (£25ish) afternoon tea is a mystery to me , especially if they wish to leave a healthy appetite for the main event ; the Michelin starred dinner .
The Burlington restaurant offers several menus and we opted for the 12 course " Menu Prestige " (14 or 15 courses if you count the bread selection and opt for a cheese course and coffee and petits fours ). Plate after plate of sensational food arrived over a leisurely three hour culinary extravaganza . My wife's top choices included a starter of foie gras with date , pear , and walnut ; and textures of lamb with some sublime ( suvi cooked ? ) meat . My favourites included a soup course of onion and liquorice veloute with egg ; and a stunning palate cleansing lemon thyme and beetroot type sorbet - all the more extraordinary as I previously regarded beetroot as a vegetable to avoid ! We both agreed that the poached rhubarb with champagne froth dessert was a highlight of the meal . Having eaten in some very fine restaurants over the years we would rank this meal right up there with the best of them , including the three Michelin starred George V in Paris .
In view of the reviews , I half expected breakfast to be a bit of a letdown but we were both pleasantly surprised . My corned beef hash and egg was very good and my wife thoroughly enjoyed her smoked haddock in a mustard sauce .
Minor gripes : yes , I agree with other reviewers that the chairs in the conservatory part of the Burlington were not very comfortable - ask to eat in the main part of the building if opting for an epic dinner . Also the soundproofing in the Wharfedale rooms is somewhat lacking , as is the size of the bathroom . Some may find the mattresses overly soft .
All in all , a great treat . The hotel is very good and the food is exceptional .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within 30,000 acres of land on the Bolton Abbey Estate, this impressive 4-star country house hotel boasts an award-winning restaurant, an adult-only spa, a gym and an indoor pool. Skipton is just 5.8 miles away and Harrogate is 16.2 miles away. Each elegant room has a spacious seating area and a flat-screen TV with a DVD player ans satellite channels. All rooms offer different views of The Dales, River Wharfe and Italian Garden, and all rooms feature a luxury bathroom. Situated in the very heart of the Yorkshire Dales, The Devonshire Arms Hotel has a luxurious spa featuring a sauna, steam room, swimming pool and whirlpool. A range of treatments and massages are available and the property also has outdoor tennis courts. Clay pigeon shooting, fly-fishing, and falconry displays are all possible within the Bolton Abbey Estate. The award-winning Burlington Restaurant offers a seasonal menu using the finest local produce. Guests can enjoy the ever-popular afternoon tea, and there is also a lounge bar. The Brasserie offers guests a more modern gastro-menu featuring some of Yorkshire's favourite dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel And Spa
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel Bolton Abbey
- Devonshire Arms Country Skipton
- Devonshire Arms Country Hotel