Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,281 results
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 September 2009

This was my 8th time to that resort as people are very nice, the beach is amazing and it is a quiet small resort.

I booked my 9th visit for the last week of November and I can confirm that it is going to re-open November 1st and not December 1st like somebody created the wrong rumor.

I know Kenia who is working in the office there and she just told me that YES, they are planning to open November 1st.
She asked me to write a message on this website in order to rectify the truth.

I hope that the person who started the rumor realize how bad it is for the hotel.
My God, I can't believe how stupid some people are....

Please ignore the ''rumor maker'' and if you feel for going there in November, feel totally safe to book your trip.

Date of stay: March 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Suzannelt13
Reviewed 18 April 2009

Depending of your experience as a traveler and your expectations towards what you define as a trip, Brisas Covarrubias may suite some people better then other. I personally like to be as close as possible to the locals when I travel and I always look for something new and different. I usually don't go for big hotels, but for a resort, Covarrubias has offered me more authenticity then I could have ever expected. The incredibly nice staff generously helped me practice my Spanish while teaching me more about Cuba. The remote location allowed me to relax and get close to nature. The food and installations are remarkable and outstanding considering Cuba’s difficult economic situation. I also had a quick taste of the real Cuban lifestyle when visiting the little towns near by. If you want to get out of the ordinary overcrowded resorts but still have a great level of comfort, Covarrubias is the place. When you go, keep an open mind, you will make more friends you could have imagined! I send my love to all my wonderful Covarrubias friends! Take care.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
8  Thank JudithL
Reviewed 16 April 2009

I am a little concerned giving this resort a great review because I don't want to share this gem with anyone. The week we went the weather was fabalous. My wife and I had no concerns with the food, it was always warm and great, and some days I was actually looking foward to them repaeting some of the dishes. For the most part the bar staff was warm and friendly, I would say a couple were really good and one at the lobby bar was great - and none of them had any issues refilling our Bubba Mugs for us (which I highly recommend taking). There were always gardeners working thru the day on the grass and plants...it was really hard to tell that the place was almost flattened by the hurricane.
For the BEST part...THE BEACH. Our goal in planning a vacataion was looking for somewhere were we could relax on a sandy beach and this OVER delievered on being the best beach in Cuba. The water was crystal clear and always warm with lots of sea life swimming amongst us.
We also ended up with a great room that faced the beach and we were very happy waking up to the waves every night.

At the end of the day the group that I travelled with are already planning on going back next year and hopefully for many more to come.

9  Thank stik59
Reviewed 16 April 2009

We returned to our friends at Brisas Covarrubias for a third time (fifth time to Cuba) the first week of April. Once again, we had a wonderful week, because of the wonderful staff, people and beach. It was truly like returning to a vacation home and, notwithstanding the shortfalls of the resort, we will certainly be returning when we can

The drive to the resort, and back to the airport, was 2 hours and 15 minutes each way. We were lucky, though, and did not hit the prime Cuban travel time making our trip a bit faster. Although I am in the minority, I enjoy the bus trip looking at everything I can along the way.

Beach and Diving:

As reported by most all reviewers, the beach is fantastic. Great snorkeling from the beach. The scuba diving was great - again. This is truly a good, yet inexpensive resort for diving. The boat leaves from the beach – no long bus trip to dive. Thanks again to Alex, Joel and George for another great week of diving. We also met some other very nice Canadian divers (some who have returned to dive Covarrubias many times). There were more catamarans since last time, lots of kayaks, great water activities.

Food:

The food was about the same as last year (decent), if not a bit better. Ideally, in my view, it would be nice to have more selection at suppertime. I think this would go along way at improving guests’ views on the food. Breakfast and lunches were good. It was nice to see the new pool side sandwich bar! For the first time, we had lobster at this resort and it was fantastic. We are from the Maritimes, having previously tasted Caribbean lobster which in our view was “not nearly as good as Maritime lobster”, we were not expecting much, but both of us were very surprised that it was some of the best lobster we have ever tasted!! Our hats went off the cook! We had a great drink selection when we were there – no problems at all.

Resort overall and rooms:

We had a beautiful oceanfront room with a perfect view. It was very clean. The mattresses and pillows, and shower pressure were satisfactory. The new beach bar is nice (rebuilt afte Hurricane Ike) and they are building a glassed in section to provide a protected area from evening mosquitoes - nice! I did not see any mosquitoes but there were "no see ems" which bite too - take your bug repellant and use it. My sister stayed in Varadero during the same week we were at Cova - and she experienced more bug problems than here.

I do have to say, though that the resort does need to work on its water infrastructure. They have done an amazing job at repair since hurricane Ike, and are still working on some repairs. But, the water was a problem with frequent water shortages and no water at night (or before some tourists had to leave for home early in the morning). This did not bother us a lot, but understandably, it was of considerable concern to some guests and did affect the views of some new guests towards this beautiful resort. Until the water problems are minimized, it will continue to negatively affect the reputation of the wonderful resort. I believe that new management (used to be “Villas Covarrubias”) is trying to improve the resort overall, and I am hopeful that the water issues will be addressed before prime tourist season next year.

Now that it is Brisas Covarrubias, regular Cuban guests are not longer allowed (there used to be many Cuban guests from April to October), which I was very disappointed about. I had met some interesting Cuban families staying at the resort before – I really missed that. There were, however, many other repeat Canadian guests, some having been there 5, 7, 21, 26 and over 30 times. It was very enjoyable getting to know those people. I do have to say that I believe, unfortunately, the low last minute prices attracted a few rather inconsiderate tourists (luckily, only a few) … enough said.

There are always activities going on in which to participate. It is your choice.

The pool and swim up bar was clean and nice (salt water) but we spent all of our time at the beach.

Staff:

Again, I have saved the best for last. The staff at this resort work very hard to make your stay enjoyable. There are a few exceptions, as there are anywhere you go, but they are mostly superb! Again, Tony was wonderful. I hope the new management realize how lucky they are to have someone as helpful, experienced and knowledgeable as Tony. Fidel and Rene were wonderful too – they (and others) made every meal at the buffet something to look forward to.

Is Covarrubias for you?

This resort is very remote and quiet. It is the people (and the beach for many) that make it what it is. If you are a person that wishes to party, go on a lot of excursions, shop, be waited on, if you cannot overlook some inconveniences, or a large variety of food is important to you, then pay more and pick another resort. If you are looking for kind people, a great beach, a safe place, want rest and relaxation, are easy going, and can keep in mind that they are limited in their resources and supplies, then Covarrubias may be for you. You vacation is what you make it.

We will be returning!

9  Thank Dansie
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Got a fantastic last minute deal with Sunwing...long but no hassle flight. It is about a three hour drive from Holquin airport and the positive side to this is that we got to see three hours worth of cuban countryside, and yes the roads can be rough in spots however i live in Edmonton...not a big deal.....this is a chance to see the "real cuba". The resort is truly in the middle of nowhere..is clean, comfortable, very relaxing. Food was better than what we expected but maybe not for everyone....Beach/water was beautiful, weather during daytime was hot and sunny but evenings are cool so you need to bring appropriate clothing for that. Staff overall were very good....Here are some things we suggest to bring...
-fishing gear...hooks, sinkers and 30 lb. line
-clothing and shoes(all sizes from infant to adult) and baseball caps
-travel mugs
-batteries
-toiletries
-pens
-sports equipment(old baseball gloves, baseballs,etc.)
and remember to save 25 convertible pesos each for your your departure tax to leave the country. and yes we plan to return but next time it will be for two weeks.....

Date of stay: March 2009