“Like a breeze and priced right.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candles in the Wind

Candles in the Wind
Ranked #2 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Like a breeze and priced right.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

A warm greeting as you enter the home, Candles in the Wind is a gem. Owner, Andrew makes you feel welcome immediately. Located within walking distance from local beach and night life in Bon Accord, the establishment is clean, wholesome and refreshing. The rooms are appropriately appointed with all the comforts of home. If you want a laid backpacker's dorm or an ensuite environment, Candles will acoommodate with the right price.

Worth a visit.

Room Tip: Request a single bedroom with a large bed.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
22 Thank Luv2trvl150
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

I just came back from spending 2 nights in Tobago, and I could not be happier with my choice to stay at Candles in the Wind.
The location is excellent if you want to stay in the Crown Point area. It is set aside in a really nice residential street set amongst mansions and vacation villas. The area seemed extremely safe with a neighborhood watch and 24 hour guard posted a few houses down. You are not too far from the action though, as it is a 2-3 minute walk to a bunch of restaurants, 5-10 minute walk to Store Bay, and 15-20 minute walk to Pigeon Point. I even walked here from the airport
The guesthouse was extremely comfortable. I am not comparing this to a 5 star beachfront resort, but for a VERY affordable guesthouse, I couldn't have been more pleased. Most of this was in part to the owner, Andrew, who was an excellent host. He takes a lot of pride in his place, and seems to enjoy what he does. He is very informative, helpful, hospitable, and enjoyable to talk to. He is very personable and intelligent, but at the same time he is not overbearing, and gives you plenty of space, even though he's always around and easy to find. It can be arranged for him to drive you places like Sunday School or Pigeon Point for a fee.
The rooms are basic/modest but comfortable. I stayed in #3, which had a spacious bedroom and bathroom compared to other guesthouses I stayed at in T&T (other rooms at Candles appeared smaller). There was a small TV without cable, but it had a DVD player and Andrew has a large library of DVD's you can borrow. The air conditioner was a wall unit and wasn't as strong as I would've preferred. The mattresses were not uncomfortable, but they were not luxurious either. The bathroom was fine, no complaints about hot water or water pressure.
I didn't really use the kitchen, but he has one on the second floor and one on the first floor that seemed well equipped, and clean. It's not Gordon Ramsey's kitchen, but I wouldn't have a problem cooking in them if I needed to. The rest of the house was very clean, and had a spacious open floor plan which I liked. The wifi signal in my room was excellent, but I would've been happier without the $5/day charge. But besides that, I find the owner to be reasonable, and not money hungry. I would not hesitate to stay here when I return because of Andrew's desire to maintain a quality guesthouse and to provide his guests with a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
22 Thank Noturavg
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

The guesthouse was extremely comfortable. I am not comparing this to a 5 star beachfront resort, but for a VERY affordable guesthouse, I couldn't have been more pleased. Most of this was in part due to the owner, Andrew, who was an excellent host. He takes a lot of pride in his place, and seems to enjoy what he does. He is very informative, helpful, hospitable, and enjoyable to talk to. He is very personable and intelligent, but at the same time he is not overbearing, and gives you plenty of space, even though he's always around and easy to find. It can be arranged for him to drive you places like Sunday School or Pigeon Point for a fee.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
17 Thank Noturavg
Plainsboro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

I spent an entire week at Candles, and I am very happy with my choice. Andrew, the owner, is a genuine, friendly and very helpful host. The place is comfortable and affordable, and in a great location.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
22 Thank Saramanouch
Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

I booked a guesthouse and then I did not expect an "hotel standard". Taken this into account, I would rate the Candles in the Wind as a Good choice and I could easily re-consider it for a possible future stay in Tobago.
Its location is very convenient: in the touristic area close to the airport, with some shops/restaurants nearby and also with the famous Pigeon Point beach (that finally turned out as being the whitest in the WHOLE island...) within walking distance (around 15-20 minutes).
The room was fine, I would say "basic" but this is a guesthouse, not a 5 stars resort... The air-conditioning was a little bit noisy and the shower did not have much pressure, but what I disliked most has been the quality of the linen and the small carpet in the bathroom, which did not look clean.
I liked the location and the possibility of having a (shared) kitchen available but what I really liked most is the absolutely helpful owner that really did all what he could to accommodate the needs of his guests. For instance, I was travelling alone and for solo-travelers is not so easy to arrange an "island tour", unless you are willing to pay double..., then the owner SPONTANEOUSLY proposed and arranged a nice workaround solution, that was a very value for money "driver" option.
Moreover he was very willing to provide advices and suggestions, e.g how to go to the Nylon pool with 15USD (instead of 25...) and so on.
So, the very bottom line is that I found "Candles in the Wind" as a good option (in its category) and that my experience does NOT confirm at all the review wrote by another Italian (and somehow complaining about the owner).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1.3 km away
Native Abode
Native Abode
#1 of 20 in Crown Point

Been to Candles in the Wind? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK