All reviews home grown suzette filtered water hammock area yoga sessions yogurt pigeon point flying fish pool side tropical birds outdoor jacuzzi garden room breakfast and dinner close to the airport rum punch free shuttle store bay beach
Reviewed 16 April 2016

I did not know what to expect, but everyone nodded enthusiastically when they heard my hotel choice. It didn't disappoint. The rooms are simple, no distractions (TV, clock); no amenities (coffee maker). Just a bed and chairs to relax in. I didn't know that I needed to decompress until day 2 of my stay. Its calm and charm sneaks up on you. Kariwak is a place that not every traveller will appreciate (and thank goodness for that). I loved the free yoga, the creole food, the staff who genuinely enjoyed interacting with us. The hammocks were a welcome plus. And the secret jacuzzi!
I liked that locals and foreigners both stayed at this place. I liked that you had to go out of your room to get food and drink. People limed at the bar and chatted with their fellow guests. I'm not surprised that the place has been in business for 30 years. Many people I talked with were repeat guests. I certainly will be one of them too.

Room tip: Garden Rooms are quiet but windowless. Pool Rooms are bright.
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2016 via mobile

I've been here about 3 times and that's because it really is an amazing getaway. Really great facilities with an island feel. Great privacy and the pool/Jacuzzi is really neatly put with great flora decorating it. The only thing is the Jacuzzi doesn't have warm water but throughout the day the sun heats it up to good comfort. There are hammocks all over to relax in, lots of exploring to do and they have a garden that they use produce from...natural and healthy food.
The restaurant is amazing and cost effective.
I will always opt to go here whenever I'm in Tobago. Really very amazing.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2016

A relaxing, environmentally friendly and beautiful resort. The rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. The garden room which was secluded and nestled in the garden area and was closer to the Ajoupa, hammock area and Jacuzzi pool. Some of the food options were excellent and they expertly incorporated local flavors into the dishes. They did provide both vegetarian and non-vegetarian options. The non-vegetarian options were extremely extremely delicious but the vegetarian options could be updated with the wide variety of no-meat products available today. Breakfast was a healthy mix of fresh fruit and local dishes and was plentiful and delicious. Buffet night served very tasty options. I still cannot forget the taste of the steamed broccoli with almond butter.
The staff at the Kariwak Village was outstanding. They were friendly and attentive and provided the best service. The owner was present every night at dinner and checked on guests herself to ensure that they were happy.
Nature was well integrated into the overall layout and the surroundings were very well maintained. Rosemary stained the air with its pungent refreshing smell when we walked past the herb gardens on the property. The gardens were softly lit at night and perfect for a night time romantic stroll. A big thumbs-up for the design theme of the resort. Ambient lighting, wood furnishings and nature were expertly combined to create a cocoon of calm and serenity.
I will definitely be returning.

Room tip: The garden rooms are more secluded.The poolside rooms are more brightly lit and close to pool
Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2016

Booked this hotel after seeing excellent reviews in Trip advisor through Travel agent. Not too long after check in I realised that the hotel is run with passion both by management and staff. The hotel has nice pool, beautiful garden with plenty birds and cool breeze. The place is close to airport and beach. We took the room close to the pool. The room was spacious and comfortable. The airport run way is behind the hotel but not much disturbance due to less flights.They even provided Bug spray in the room for the occassional mosquito. There is no TV in the room but they provided one in the Library room. Food was nice, healthy and not so expensive. Staff were pleasant and helpful. They provide Buffet and live music in weekends. Free Yoga classes are conducted in the morning during weekdays for guests! They also have spa and massage on payment. They also provided hammocks in the garden to unwind with cool breeze and chirping of birds! Free Vehicle pick up and drop to the main Pigeon point beach is provided! We had early morning flight on the day of check out. The management was pleased to provide us early breakfast and free drop to airport! Excellent hotel for unwinding and peaceful vacation! Now comming to the minor negative points: the online website almost always shows fully booked status. But looks like the travel agents have their "quota" and I booked through a agent. But I have to shell out commission of few hundred Trinidad dollars to the agent! One more thing I did'nt like is the lack of Coffee, Tea sachets in the rooms. We have to go to Restaurent to get the same/ buy or starve untill 7.30 am when Breakfast starts. Other than these minor hiccups this is excellent hotel to connect with nature and unwind.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2016

This place is awesome and a great place to relax.
I have come to so many places in Tobago where their idea of service is to give you your change. Tropikist has great decor by the pool.. and thats it, other than that in my opinion is a rip off, coco reef is incredibly over priced, however Kariwak is a great place with a great relaxed ambiance. Friendly staff, caters well for vegetarians, good location - shops and beach close by, 2-5 mins walking distance from airport - do not take a $30ttd taxi unless your with a family.
nice clean pool and very nice breakfast!
Yogo classes free for guests too if that's your thing. Music with dinner as well!

Room tip: Pool view if you have kids you want to keep an eye on
Date of stay: April 2016