“Ideal location” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Plaine Guesthouse
London, United Kingdom
“Ideal location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

This beautiful B&B is perfectly located for trips to Bath, Bristol, Stonehenge, Avebury, Cheddar and further into the south west. Really comfortable rooms, great breakfast and a good nights sleep was had by our whole unit. The two local pubs are great. The George Inn for it's amazing layout and sense of history & the very, very welcoming Fleur de Lis. The landlord went out of his way to make us and our 7 year old son feel welcome. Good food and lots of games! Would stay again and recommend. Hosting pre and during stay was perfect - friendly and interested but unintrusive.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank aliangel212001
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

The other half and myself stayed at The Plaine after the bank holiday, while attending a friend's wedding at Wick Farm and I have to say that from the initial contact with Justina, to the end of the stay there was nothing but fabulousness. The booking was done with ease and Justina was so helpful. We had a 2 night stay at this lovely B+B and stayed in one of the upstairs rooms - provided with a TV, WiFi and fresh milk for tea and coffee. The breakfasts were amazing! I have to admit to having most of what was provided. The bacon was so tasty, it melted in the mouth. For 2 food lovers, it was paradise and we left feeling very full. The boyfriend did say that he had never felt so rested after a good night's sleep - was it the country air or the super mattress? The whole house is warm, inviting and with the fireplace in the kitchen - I'm sure a great place to hang out in colder winter months. For dinner and drinks there are 2 pubs a stone throws away from the door step - The George Inn and the Fleur De Lys. Both serve lovely food and sitting by the fireplace in the evening with a drink in your hand can't be beaten. The parking behind the Plaine is small but don't worry - you can park in the pub carparks. All in all, it was a great 2 days, wonderful food, fab atmosphere - thank you!

Room Tip: Book early for the rooms with the four poster beds!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Torquay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

This was my first visit to The Plaine Guest house. I confess, I'm hard to please, prefer five star hotels and have extremely high standards! My first impression was that this was a beautiful old house, there is a warm homely feel throughout the property and felt quite happy to be there. We had room four, the bed was more than big enough for two people, and I had the best nights sleep I've had in ages, so much so I checked the name of the mattress to get one myself! It was harder than normal, so if you like soft mattresses this is not for you, I loved it though! With regards to the room, it was right next to a busy road, however it was clear that extra glazing has gone in to combat noise, and it worked really well! My only critisim of the room is the tv, an old 14 inch box, it had a horrible mains hum, and a more modern flat screen mounted on the wall would have been better suited, yes I know you don't stay in a b&b to watch tv, however, if it's there I want it to be perfect? The only other thing is the sink, i don't understand the need for one in your bedroom? To me it attracts dirt and there is a sink in your bathroom across the hall anyway! Apart from that thumbs up for the room! The bathroom, again is really clean, as is everything in the plaine, the gshower is really, really powerful, but sadly no hot water, perhaps because everyone else had used it or I wasn't operating it properly, minor issue and in fairness I never asked if there was a problem so my own fault really! My only critism here is the bathroom looks like it needs renewing, it's all clean and spotless but is crying for modernisation?

Moving onto the food, well, the dining area is very quaint, it has a real rustic feel, like your in a farm house. There is cereal, toast, tea/coffee, cooked English etc. I had the lot, the cooked breakfast was adequate, ok it wasnt cooked by a trained chef, but what was there I ate and felt content, the bacon was delicious I must say!

The hostess is a pure delight, always smiling, and happy to help wherever she can, if I could pop her in my pocket and take her home I would, a real gem and I hope the owners realise how all the guests note how she makes the stay what it is? Well done 5 stars to you!

In short, the accommodation is perfectly adequate, it's characterful beyond belief, cosy, spotlessly clean, and feels like home, it desperately needs modernised bathrooms in my humble opinion and a few extra choices on the breakfast menu? In all though a pleasurable stay, thank you!

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sofaSlug
Herefordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed for 2 nights over Easter and had a relaxing and very enjoyable stay. Justina was a perfect hostess, nothing was too much trouble. The room was lovely with everything we needed, including fresh milk for our tea and coffee, breakfast was delicious.
We would love to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

From my initial enquiry Justina was nothing but helpful and so quick to respond to any questions or queries I had. We booked the guest house exclusively as we were getting married at Wick Farm, so it was really important to us that everything was perfect... and it was!
The rooms are clean and cosy, each room is different and has it's own character. The apartment was the best as it gave my bridesmaids somewhere for us all to get ready and so where for the children to play.
Extremely good value for money, excellent breakfast, excellent location, excellent facilities.... EXCELLENT all round.
If you're looking for somewhere to stay with no hassle, home from home and a taste of the countryside, I would highly recommend you book!!
We're looking forward to returning for our anniversary next year!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2.3 km away
The Rose & Crown
The Rose & Crown
#1 of 2 in Hinton Charterhouse

Been to The Plaine Guesthouse? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK