Review Highlights
Local seafood available for lunch

Reviewed 13 March 2016
James V
T
Fishy....

Didn't care for the raw fish meal with raw shrimp. It was an experience though. 2nd floor with a... read more

Reviewed 23 October 2015
Mcfrantz1 f
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 March 2018

I explored the city by bicycle (rented for free at Sakata station). For lunch, I stopped at the seafood market. The popular restaurants at the second floor were too busy (a long line of people). Therefore, I chose one restaurant on the first floor and ordered maguro-don (tuna sashimi on top on rice). I am satisfied with the quality and the quantity. It was such a treat!

Reviewed 5 August 2017

I usually don't review restaurants I didn't enjoy; it could always be a fluke. However, sometimes things have to be said for posterity. This place - the one on the 2nd floor of the Sakata Seafood Market with the long line - should be avoided at all cost.

My wife and I drove 3 hours from Miyagi to try the Seafood Market, only to find the color of the sashimi more than dubious, and the grilled snapper dry like cardboard. This is Japan, where there actually IS a standard for Japanese cuisine. And when a restaurant falls below this standard for things like sushi, sashimi, or yakimono even once; you should warn others and never come back. How could I make this judgment? Besides the grilled Tai that tasted like cardboard, we couldn't recognize which fish was on our sashimi plate. And this has never happened to us anywhere else in Japan, from Hokkaido, to Miyagi, to Tokyo/Yokohama, to Fukuoka.

Stay away from this place. And if you were unfortunate to have had a bad experience at this place, please click "helpful" on this review. I have been doing the same for other reviews that confirm my experisnce.

Reviewed 24 September 2016

Oysters and shellfish picked locally that has grown in the water running off Mount Chokai into the sea are particularly delicious. I visited the fish market with the intention of eatinga fresh oyster with a slice of lemon. They picked an oyster sitting on ice, prized off it:s shell and served it to me with a slice of lemon. Perfect stop off point on a drive on a hot day. Other prepared fish and fresh fish, dried fish and fish related snacks were available that day.

Reviewed 28 April 2016 via mobile

Seafood market has fresh fishes, clams, Tako, squid, crab from the daily auction.
The Tobishima restaurant upstairs is "a must go to" place in Sakata.
I had "toro" sashimi bowl that was excellent..a five star place with two star prices!

Reviewed 13 March 2016

This is not Tsukiji, but the fish is fresh and you can eat a simple meal here for 1,000 yen or so, self-service. Sashimi domburi is a good way to eat a quick lunch on the go, served with miso with seaweed, and tsukemono.

Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

Didn't care for the raw fish meal with raw shrimp. It was an experience though.
2nd floor with a long line. ..

Reviewed 18 June 2013

At the first, here is a one of the rich fishing field in coast of Japan.
This restaurant is situated adjacent to the fishing port.
So, this seafood restaurant style has beginning from fisherman’s dining.
The fisherman come up from market after finished there work for take a meal at the here.
The features of like this restaurant are providing with cheap, fast, and fresh.
That’s why, we are call to this is fisherman’s dining.

Some fish markets have like this restaurant in Asia.
You do not expect comfortable service and luxurious rooms.
In other hands they are able to provide most fun fresh seafood.
The features of like this restaurant are providing with cheap, fast, and fresh.
Now, fisherman’s dining has been changed target to tourist replace from fisherman.
Also prices were raised to tourist price from local price like an Otal city in Hokkaido.
However, this fisherman’s dining can provide local price for tourist.
I make sure that this price is half than other tourist cities.
Exactly, Sakata is hidden city for foreign tourist but you are able to feel real Japanese fisherman’s seafood.

Your budget is less than 1500yen(Not inc Beers or Sake)
Available to Launch time.
(You have to wait for 15-30min during a launch time)

Reviewed 1 December 2012

This place is one of Japan's hidden highlights. A seafood food hall overlooking the harbour with fabulous and cheap food. It's name is Tobishima.

No need to speak Japanese as the dishes are all displayed. My order was a set that included 12 pieces of sashimi, rice, pickles, miso soup and green tea and the cost was 720 yen. The food is caught that day and was delicious. Amywhere such a meal would be 2,000 yen or higher. You can sit at tables, benches or at low tables on tatami. If the weather's fine there is an outdoor area overlooking the harbour.

I've eaten all over Japan and my impression of this was, "How good is this?".

Sakata is off the tourist trail and on the face of it is an anonymous town with nothing special to recommend it. But the atmosphere here and in the rest of the town was incredible. The tourist office at the station rang the sake museum and convinced them to open up, even though that day was there day off, just so my wife and I could visit. The taxi drivers friendly and helpful (my wife and I speak Japanese) and because it's off the tourist trail foreigners in town seem to get the royal treatment.

1  Thank P_kun55