“Kayaking in the Mangrove”

Mangrove Forested Area
Ranked #1 of 64 things to do in Amami
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Kayaking in the mangroves is great fun for all ages. I have been a few different times when visiting with friends ranging from 7-83 years old. The guide gives a brief lesson and then you are on your way after receiving your equipment & lesson. Very beautiful and peaceful way to spend time outdoors.
They als have a type of putt putt golf, a museum, an educational movie, a gift shop, and a nice restaurant to eat.

All reviews
"hour"
"golf"
"outing"

Reviewed 3 November 2017

My wife and I decided to take the kayaking trip into the mangroves and - although fun - is a little overrated by some of the reviewers here on TripAdvisor. I am a reasonably experienced kayaker but it was my wife's first time. To begin with the kayaking was very basic. There were a couple of mud banks to get temporarily stranded on but otherwise easy paddling. The guide lead us through a small bay and a couple of mangrove avenues and we then stopped to 'rest' and for a photo opportunity. He asked me if I was tired which was strange as we had only paddled for about 15 minutes. He jumped out of his kayak into shallow water and pushed our kayaks onto a mud bank so he could take photos for us. We were there quite a while to 'rest' and then we paddled back. I put on a burst of speed and went ahead but he insisted we paddle together (which is understandable).
Verdict: For ¥2000 ($20) per person I would expect just a bit more. We saw very little wildlife and the kayaking part was short and very easy. I guess for a first time Kayaker or a family with young kids it might be fun but otherwise pretty tame and over priced.
Just a word of warning for Westerners. The guide only spoke Japanese which was fine (He did his best to speak to me and it's mostly only Japanese people who visit the park)
There is a cafe in the HQ building - which is nice - and we played a version of golf which was difficult and fun in the grounds (we didn't get charged for the golf equipment). We did notice that there was another (private?) company offering kayak trips nearby so it might be worth checking them out if you're looking for something a bit more adventurous. They might just do the same trip.

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Canoeing along mangrove forest was great experience! The view was amazing also!
Only 2000yen for an hour canoeing. Good deal!

Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

This is action for people of all ages with the right attitude. You can get sweat, wet and even muddy. Along the way you learn to paddle a river kayak and get to know a mangrove in a safe setting.

It is a nice, affordable and educational outing. The guide will give the basic hints in English, but the tour is held in Japanese. One has also the opportunity to visit a small museum and watch a video about the mangrove. And why not spend a hour playing a sort of croquet/ golf in a large, well kept green? That was fun too.

I just don't give a 5th"" star because the paddling trip is much shorter than depicted in the posters. One does not visit the deep mangrove, just an initial stretch. For most, that is more than enough, however.